vrt 440 bhp back on the road. 2 g/boxes and 1 brand ne gt3076r later

took the head off, piston no1 has been smashed by the valve stcking 10mm out, the broken pieces managed to get between wthe cylinder wall and sidewall of piston and has siezed in the middle of the cylinder.what it has done to the h beam rod below i can only imagine. the other 5 pistons are ok,hope the rods are too. been in touch with woosner supplier and can get me a single piston replacement, i hope i can get a single h beam rod aswell ( ideas where to get please ). short of it is the block is finished, it was only a few thousand miles old from new , bought two years ago.

good news is that the turbo has all its blades and no shaft play. thank the lord. gear box still seems ok. just need A WHOLE NEW ENGINE :) :)

thanks to Sparks for braving the cold and helping me out bigtime.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, just not sure what to do, get a replacement,put a spacer in and run for a while, or open new one up and change internals and put it back all done. need to source 1 piston and 1 h beam conrod. the piston i can get ,but having trouble getting a single h beam rod. wondering if i get a set of six then sell 5 for a v5 ??? as they are the same rods. all i know is that this will cost big bucks AGAIN !

do what that man says' date=' he speaks the truth :)

gary maybe have a word with ben..

remember i run a spacer, and similar power :)

[/quote']

mine was when i got it, just rods, but i thought id make it super strong :( was wrong ! lol

think that will be the way to go for the moment, i can build another to same spec and install when finished.

spacer it is then Jim.

remember your gt30 , is a bit on the small side ... the compressor housing is to small, thats why you make so much power so low down, and why youve done two gearbox's.. itd be worth imo, chaning it for a .084 or .096 maybe even a 1. something depending on when you want power to start ..

may as well do it whilst the engine is out..

youve got some stuff to sell, so not all bad.

good bottom end is ...? rods n standard pistons ?????

ta Matt

A stock block, with stock rods and stock pistons, using new wear and tear items that you would have to replace on your old engine. Mate this to a good second hand head after changing the valve stem seals. There is NO NEED atall to use anything other than a standard head. Fit the head to the block using a head spacer of course.

You only need to concider steel rods when you make over 500lbft of torque

With money being tight, I'd bet that you can get 6 conrods cryo/peen treated for less than the cost of 1 steel rod!

Out of curiousity what make rods did you have?

• 2 weeks later...