Been on a few test drives

I wasted a scooby on the way to the RR day..... ingham was in my VR too as a witness :)

Agreed, a standard WRX doesn't have the same "willingness" to do 140mph+ as a Schricked VR.

Driving with the Schrick manifold every day, it's easy to forget what a great piece of kit this really is!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a scoob understeers loads it won't be very fast round track...same with any car, understeer really hurts laps time where as you can still get good lap times if you have too much oversteer, thats if you don't go off of course! lol

[ Edited Sat Nov 13 2004, 02:01PM ]

Sorry for the delay lads,right,I only had trouble because the stone went through the oil cooler,other than that the engin was good and so it should have been as it was only 5k young to be honest i've been into VW's for 17years and i totally missed my VR.

The Vresion 6 Type-R was the only classic fitted with DCCD (adjustable lockable diff controll) Import only not even the P1's were fitted with them!

About the complicated oil change procedure,if you follow the thred on Scooby net(13 pages at my last count!!)you will see that a lot of the cars that are suffering from the bottom end problem seem to be having this problem directly after a service!!

This would seem to suggest that the oil change procedure is being ignored,and when you concider that this procedure requires the oil filter to be filled and then left to sit for at least 30mins then topped up,it's not hard to see why some garages don't follow it through! I'll try and dig up the link as i'm sure it's still ongoing!!

Mike

My mate had a WRX same as Antera's, He'd got some kind of special ECU fitted to it too. He spent another couple of grand on it after that too.

I decided on the charger, but didn't tell anyone.. waited the standard 500 miles to run the charger in then challenged him to a race.

He laughed at me thinking he was racing a standard VR and his face was a picture once I'd blown him out of the water!

He's just bought a new shape STi on a 52 plate I think and it's so much prettier than his old one.

The lag is awful though, and considering it is the 280bhp version, I was disappointed with it when I drove it.

You can't beat the low down grunt from the Schrick..

Here's the link on the Scoobynet forum regarding the oil change procedure...

-link-

It's actually not as time consuming as suggested in this link. I did an oil change on my Scoob this weekend, and completely filling the new oil filter took just 4 applications of oil from a top-up bottle about 2-3 minutes apart.

Dry-cranking the engine for a few seconds to build up oil pressure prior to startup was equally painless.

I wonder whether we should all be employing this procedure for our VR6s? I noticed that on starting up the VR after fitting the replacement filter "dry", the oil pressure light was on for well over 5 seconds. Was never happy about that....

I always buzz my car over on the starter a few times prior to actually letting it fire to build oil pressure - this is good practice on any engine be it old,new, turbo'd or not...

Good preventative maintenance i say 8)

[ Edited Sun Nov 14 2004, 07:59PM ]

I've just picked up my VR6 having sold my 1999 Mitsi Evo 6.......

Slight change i know!

To be honest, i decided to sell it (£15k) and get something cheaper, that's also cheaper to run and look after.

I did toy with the idea of buying an Impreza, but the Fuel costs are pretty much the same as the Evo, plus all my mates would have ripped into me for buying a Poobaru after owning an Evo - but they are good cars.

I then thought about Golfs, the Mk3 VR6 was always a car i liked, and having found one with reasonably low mileage and at a good price i decided it was the right thing to do.

Only had it a few days but i've already had a couple of flashes of headlights from other Golf drivers, and i've given it a full clean inside/out to find less marks/scuffs then i thought i would (you know how it is when you wash a car for the first time) so i'm extremely happy i've got to say.

Scooby will be fun - but please don't under-estimate the Costs of ownership (or just Fuel alone) it will scare you after a couple of weeks.

I've already had 29.5 mpg on my journey to and from work in the Golf, i couldn't even get 20 in the Evo lol!

Not just petrol on the Evo though...... service is ideally needed every 3/4k miles at a push, the AYC system is pretty complicated and needs to be looked after.

Brakes aren't cheap........ but then again performance like that takes some serious cost - it's no Ferrari but when you keep up with one, it's gotta be costing you a liiiiitttllle bit lol

I would have one another day, but if i'm honest - the M3 Evo was a better every day car, and on the A roads it's faster too ;)

all these scoobies and mitsubishi's etc they just don't look right on the road...i'm sure you will realize (just like owining a ferrari) that in traffic everyone will be looking at you...after a while it'll lose its novelty.

Apart from looks performance is very good :). Prefer the VR only becuase its a bit more docile and the external mods for it are far and wide.

anyways good luck with whatever u buy!

Driving the Evo to and from work etc, made me realise just how purposeful they really are.

If i could afford one as a weekend toy, and lived near a rally stage or race track it would be perfect - they're Rally cars on the road pure and simple.

Driving one daily does your head in, they're not exactly a "comfortable" ride, but then some people just love them for that, as i said personally having owned both i'd be more tempted to get another M3 one day......

R32 Golf, or Skyline?

My First Jap car was a Pulsar GTI-R, was fun but it went wrong - woking on that engine was the worst thing my Dad and i have ever had to do there simply wasn't enough room to do anything properly - everything on that engine required the engine to be taken out just about!

I know what you mean about Jap cars though, one bad experience can put you off, German is the way forward ;)

Mate - i rate Jap cars for performance/pound but when they go wrong its not a case of a minor problem - its a major one that usually costs big dollar to fix.

All my friends drive jap stuff - MR2 Turbo, Nissan 200Sx s14, GT4 St205 etc etc and whilst they are very quick and easy to mod into seriously quick cars for relatively little cost they are prohibitively expensive when it comes to replacing consumables - ie brake discs and pads and general servicing.

When they break you might as well throw them away - there not designed to be repaired hence the fat that after 3 years in Japan there all shipped over here....

Pete.

Im definitely going to wait till im 25 next year till i buy another car, and i should have a bit more money coming in then so i wont be stressing so much if/when things go wrong.

Interesting what you say that youd rather have an M3 nick, may have to have a closer look at them. Insurance seems to be more reasonable too.

In the meantime im probably going to blow some more cash on the VR! :)