My supercharged golf - the love affair is over, it's gone :(

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the pic they dont look like hi tensile steel bolts as they should be ' date=' i have never liked adapters , if i were you stick to direct fitment rims, imo plastic spigot rings should be banned as well as adapters

[/quote']

If adapters are fitted in accordance with manufacturers specs then they are as safe as bolting direct to hub. I have ran adapters for about 3yrs now and had NO problems. H&R have got TUV approval so are more than upto he job

apparently it reacts with it and causes it to go brittle !!

Jees thats bad luck Ben :( , but to be honest I think thats a load of old twoddle m8.

I cant see this being the problem, I think the bolts are suspect and probably from the wrong grade steel.

But glad you got it sorted out anyway.

from the pic they dont look like hi tensile steel bolts as they should be ' date=' i have never liked adapters , if i were you stick to direct fitment rims, imo plastic spigot rings should be banned as well as adapters

[/quote']

I agree with them not looking like Hi Tensile bolts atall

Was just having the same thought, mine are H+R, got em offa Craig and no probs, deffo looks like cheapo bolts, thing is HOW MANY of these as this guy sold???? could definatly come back to bite his arse.. and the next poor sod might not get away as lucky as you did ..pause for thought mate..

He's been saving money by selling the kits with non high-tensile steel bolts by the look of it, if they haven't got a grade number on the heads they are diffinatly suss

plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't zinc used as an anti corrosion measure on steel all the time and would never weaken steel that fast from a light misting of aerosol

Guest The Butcher

Yes zinc is used for rust protection on steel but has to be applied as a electrostatic agent in powdered metal form...

however the zinc aerosol would more than likley to have contained hydrogen sulfide, which would eat into the steel,

[/quote']

If adapters are fitted in accordance with manufacturers specs then they are as safe as bolting direct to hub. I have ran adapters for about 3yrs now and had NO problems. H&R have got TUV approval so are more than upto he job

that why i put imo! ...i am just saying i personally would not use them ( i am qualified motor mechanic) i leave it up to you if you use them

i am very sorry you have the problem i hope it is sorted asap