There seems to be alot of hate for the mk3????

One of my mates that owns a Mk1 golf just sent me this :@

Im the first to admit that a standard mk3 isn't the best looking car in the world but once you do abit of work to them they look dam fine.

My responce to him is that mk1 and mk2 owners need to get some imagination as there all the same, I see so many different well moded mk3s out there where as all the mk1 and mk2 tend to be the same just slammed with different wheels....

Not that I don't like mk1 and mk2s i think there dirty, Just dont see why theres so many haters for the mk3 :@

Rant over :-d

sig_golfs2.jpg

they carnt hack the fact to improve a mk2 you use mk3 bits..

wide track set up off mk3 ,

vr6 engine out of mk3 ,,,

the rear calipers off mk3 are better and fit mk2..

the mk 3 is a better shell , its stiffer chassy wise (30%)

mk3 came with on board diagnosticks

yet i preffer the mk1 & mk2 by a long shot , then only real reason id have a mk3 is to enjoy the vr engine without the effort of converting one into anouther car...

but thats not to say i hate them in any way , they look stunning when done right , preffer the feel of the early chassis more 'rudimentry'{spelling?}/ pure driving experience .

I have experienced this snubbery too, but as i own (ed) all of them mk`s at the same time i can honestly say the mk1 is a cult car AS WE ALL KNOW, the mk2 is a bit dull to be fair, and the mk3 maybe not the pretiest of all the golfs but is truely better than a mk4 and a vast improvement on a mk2.........people are snobby about the mk1, i have had 5 mk1`s and to be honest they are great cars and wicked to drive......looks and styling are definately my favourite....but they are very basic, cold, agricultural brakes, and not really an everyday all weather car now days imo, anyone looking for a blend of reliabilty, speed, comfort, and affordability should go drive a mk3 VR6 or even the 16v is a decent car and then they can make an informed judgement on it, instead of being a sheep!

I just sold my Highline today :-| so its onwards and upwards with the Corrado G60 and that does handle and go like stink :) and cant be compared to any!!

i've also heard a bit of mk3 slagging but to be fair i love the look of my mk3 vr6. i've also owned mk1's and 2's and liked them to, especially the mk1 gti i had. i personally think the mk4 gti was very bland and hard to spot next to a standard mk4 but the r32 looks really good.

its each to their own at the end of the day as their all veedub's

not owned a mk2 but i owned a 3 nd a 4 nd i cant fault my mk3 it just kept on goin no matter what u do to it even if u starved it of diesel! but im not bein biased but the mk4 is a better car than the mk3 both in build quality and how it drives, bt the mk3 is better looking (apart from r32). (This is comparing completely standard cars!)

hi ,ive owned a mk2 before and all i can say is the interior cockpit etc is like sitting in some kind of 1970's eastern european cheapo car if you know what i mean ,no quality or comforts i did have electric windows in mine but didnt use much as i didnt want them to get stuck or pack up half way down but this my opinion or maybe i had a shite mk2?

as for the mk3 complete opposite always liked them you lots previous posts have answered it already anyway ,so i better shut up now,

Its a bit unfair to brand the mk3 like that IMO, the mk1 i have never really been a cult follower of, and i cant understand why everyone raves about them being the best GTi ever, waken up, they were in 1976 but now they are just a bendy golf with shit brakes, as for the mk2, i had one as a winter car and hated it, it was forever breaking down and generally a overrated car IMO, Themk3 however was a huge leap forward from the mk2, far superior comfort and build quality, the styling was criticised as was the soggy handling, but it was two areas that waseasily rectified, unfortunately the MK3 for me has one underlyying problem, RUST,

unfortunately the MK3 for me has one underlyying problem' date=' RUST,

[/quote']

Good to hear theres still some love for the mk3 :-d I think well done they look dirty,

TELL ME ABOUT IT as far as the RUST goes, Im scraping mine due to NUFF rust and cracked windscrean

Im trying to find a black rust free Mk3 3door atm to reshell my VR with no look atall, Ive looks at LOADS! It seems that you can only buy black 3 doors with them archs and side skirts on unless i buy another VR making it imposible to make sure im getting a rust free one. :@

Rust? what rust?

My mk 3 VR is rust free!

I have had both mk 2 and mk3 variants.

I found both the a bit tutonic but screwed together well.

The mk 1 seemed to atract more rust due to drainage problems so I never bought one.

I well recall the arival of the mk3 but it felt overweight and underpowered in the petrol form so I bought a new tdi model reg N10 0LF. I could get over 70mpg on a run ! So if you have it . I was The 1st keeper.

When the VR came out it was like a breath of fresh air and went like the clappers. The one a have at present is without doubt good fun. Pity it only does about 33mpg though.

If you want good build quality and fun buy one!

33 mpg??? thats fantastic dude, i rarely get more than 20 mpg's..

the VR is a fantastic all round car, the build quality and fit of panels and stuff is far superior to any jap tin. Relating to the first point, im probably going to change the VR soon for a mk4 TDI, 130, as im doing maybe £100:00 a week of v-power.

As for the haters they can all kiss my v powered exhaust fumes to 150 mph...

I have no rust on mine at all, you need to buy one that has been looked after, not one that has been owned by a complete tosser at some point in its life as they just dont look after them, I have no rust at all on both my mk2 and mk3. Infact, on all 3 mk3's that I have owned ive not had a single piece of rust...

I just sold my Highline today :-| so its onwards and upwards with the Corrado G60 and that does handle and go like stink :) and cant be compared to any!!

G60 eh? Must admit it'll be cheaper to upgrade than the VR6 variant. Interesting you're not considering the latter, with everyone in this thread, championing the Mk3's coming with the standard VR6 lump. ;)

G60 eh? Must admit it'll be cheaper to upgrade than the VR6 variant. Interesting you're not considering the latter' date=' with everyone in this thread, championing the Mk3's coming with the standard VR6 lump. ;)

[/quote']

Nick had a Rallye before and loved it so it was only a matter of time till he went back to it

I have no rust on mine at all' date=' you need to buy one that has been looked after, not one that has been owned by a complete tosser at some point in its life as they just dont look after them, I have no rust at all on both my mk2 and mk3. Infact, on all 3 mk3's that I have owned ive not had a single piece of rust...

[/quote']

Lol somone find me a rust free black 3 door without archs and sidskirts then. Can't be a VR

Well my mate finaly picked up his Mk1 and I spent all yesterday smiling :-d sputting around it in.

It looks nice and is a proper classic. His spent alot of time in my VR so what does he think about the mk1.... Well it lives up to his exspection as far as looks go but his not impressed with brakes.. How fast it goes round corners build quatiy and speed, I think he was exspecting more asfar as performace goes...

I love the mk1, mk2 and mk3, all for different reasons. The mk4 and mk5 i'm not as keen on, but doesn't mean i don't like 'em. They're still 'dubs at the end of the day! I've only ogot first-hand experience of owning the mk3, but my dad had a mk1 and i loved that as a kid. Its what got me into Golf's in the first place, so i am forever indebted to him for that :)

I prefer the mk2, althou i love my vr to bits and cant stop spending on it! i was recently on the look out for a 2nd car for the drive to work as i need to drive down old pothole lanes and its ruining the vr. i realy wanted a mk2 but her in doors said it must be cheap to tax and insure so i ended up with £200 worth of pug 106.

To me a mk2 just feels more of a drivers car nippy and good on corners where the vr feels heavy.