R32 or hand my car over to Stealth

I have, quite unexpectedly, come into some cash :-d so I thought I would throw some of it towards a new car and went to look at an R32 the other day. But on the drive home I thought why spend 14K on a new car when I can hand mine and 6K over to Stealth / The Phirm and get it proper turbod and all the other bits sorted - but now I cannot decide which would be better *-)

Any ideas / comments would be welcome !!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Ben, i was in the same sort of position when thinking about buying a 4 mo or r32, my decision was made due to the fact you can pay another 7k just for an extra 43 bhp approx ,or buy a low milage 4 mo and tune it to the max and rip most r32`s, non turbo or s/c ofcourse. In my humble opinion i would get a good 4 mo, you can make it look like an r32 and make it go quicker than a standard r32 for less than half the difference it would cost to buy an r32.The thing is if you plan big power i think you are better with 4 driving wheels rather than two,just my opinion.

Andy

Well Ben' date=' i was in the same sort of position when thinking about buying a 4 mo or r32, my decision was made due to the fact you can pay another 7k just for an extra 43 bhp approx ,or buy a low milage 4 mo and tune it to the max and rip most r32`s, non turbo or s/c ofcourse. In my humble opinion i would get a good 4 mo, you can make it look like an r32 and make it go quicker than a standard r32 for less than half the difference it would cost to buy an r32.The thing is if you plan big power i think you are better with 4 driving wheels rather than two,just my opinion.

Andy

[/quote']

Cheers for that Andy - a 3rd option *-) but I like the idea of 4 wheel drive and all the power !!!! will have to look into the costs of turbo/supercharging a 4 motion ;)

Me personally would get car sorted bodywise then get Tim at the Phirm to turbo it for me. I also prefer the wolf in sheeps clothing approach. debadged bodywork like I already have and something tasty under bonnet. I can understand the 4wd side but less will know what is under the bonnet of a mk3

The 12v VR6 is devastatingly powerful when turbo'd, but with 2wd the mk3 chassis might have trouble coping with all that grunt.

The R32 is an awesome car, no doubt about it, but the high purchase price won't leave much in the kitty for mods.

If I was going to build an uber-Golf, I would start with a mk4 4Motion - they are cheap to buy, have 4wd, a close ratio six speed box and the possibilities for power are endless.

R32 engine? Straight swap.

Audi TT 225 engine & 'box? Straight swap, with near infinite tuning possibilities in the future.

or you can turbo or supercharge the existing 2.8 24v lump.

You'll be spoilt for choice.

The 12v VR6 is devastatingly powerful when turbo'd' date=' but with 2wd the mk3 chassis might have trouble coping with all that grunt.

The R32 is an awesome car, no doubt about it, but the high purchase price won't leave much in the kitty for mods.

If I was going to build an uber-Golf, I would start with a mk4 4Motion - they are cheap to buy, have 4wd, a close ratio six speed box and the possibilities for power are endless.

R32 engine? Straight swap.

Audi TT 225 engine & 'box? Straight swap, with near infinite tuning possibilities in the future.

or you can turbo or supercharge the existing 2.8 24v lump.

4 mo ftw although the r32 engine isnt just a straight swap theres more involverd than i thought (tharts why im lookin at 1 with it already done lol)

forced induction all the way

You'll be spoilt for choice.

[/quote']

Thanks for all the advice peeps :)

So I think it comes down to a choice between sticking a big turbo on my VR6 or buying a 4 motion and doing the same to that *-) Guess the thing to do is to go and have a look at a 4 motion and go for a spin and see what I think !!

Will keep you updated ;)

Sorry to hear about the berievement Ben. But on a happier note, i'm very envious of you current car situation!

My personal choice would be to get a mint mk2 and stick a charged / turbo'd VR engine in it. Now that is a true wolf in sheeps clothing!! :-p

But there are a good few decent suggestions being made. 4-mo seems to be the popular choice. All i would say is that you can always buy an R32 in a few years when their value has dropped significantly.

No doubt I will be chatting to you about this when i see ya on the 20th! Oh and by the way, if you are test driving an R32 at any point, feel free to gimme a shout so i can come along for the ride! ;)

Sorry to hear that Ben. There seems to be a lot of it around. Another friend is having his XJS rebuilt on the back of the death of an uncle.

Thanks mate I appreciate it - although was not very close to this relative ( my uncle also ) my Dad is pretty cut up about it.

Sorry to hear about the berievement Ben. But on a happier note' date=' i'm very envious of you current car situation!

My personal choice would be to get a mint mk2 and stick a charged / turbo'd VR engine in it. Now that is a true wolf in sheeps clothing!!

But there are a good few decent suggestions being made. 4-mo seems to be the popular choice. All i would say is that you can always buy an R32 in a few years when their value has dropped significantly.

No doubt I will be chatting to you about this when i see ya on the 20th! Oh and by the way, if you are test driving an R32 at any point, feel free to gimme a shout so i can come along for the ride!

[/quote']

Thanks mate - yeah not sure what to do yet - am leaning towards a turboed 4 motion but want to have a drive in one first. Quite tempted to arrange a day test drive on an R32 - and if I do will have a run up to Norwich ;) chat more on the train - if we are on the same one this time ;)

Hang on a sec, I take it you're not bothered about the upkeep of a 400bhp turbo'd VR engine and it won't be a daily driver? ;) It's not a fact of just bolting on a turbo and away you go. Ask Jon (Millsy), It's cost him a fortune to do the conversion to the Syncro and he's done most of the work himself! (and it's still only running around 300-350bhp), as the 4x4 needs upgrading to take more power. I don't think he even thinks about MPG or how much it'll cost if the next thing breaks as he can just pull the engine out himself on a weekend.

If you ask someone like Stealth to do the conversion you're gonna be heading towards the 10k mark and then there's the running of it, upkeep etc. Then you'll have a 10 year old front wheel drive Mk3 Golf with 400bhp (I'd say any less that that and it's not worth doing) without the correct setting up, handling, running gear (ie 4x4 conversion) as it will not put the power down and it will be breaking most months because whats the point of having one if you're not going to drive it and drive it hard?

R32 for me all the way, better car, worth more residual value and infinitely nicer to drive. Move on and up mate ;)

As for the 4 motion idea, it's still not an R32 is it? whatever you do to it. Do a finance deal on the R32, put a couple of grand down (whatever you can afford) to bring down the monthly payments and Supercharge it, job done 350hp in a car that will take it.

If the VR's not going to be a daily drive and you've come in to some serious dosh, then maybe, but it's all down to priorities I suppose. However a turbo'd MK3 Golf VR wouldn't be first on my list.

Good luck though with whatever you do mate, envious position to be in, spend it wisely ;)

Hang on a sec' date=' I take it you're not bothered about the upkeep of a 400bhp turbo'd VR engine and it won't be a daily driver? ;) It's not a fact of just bolting on a turbo and away you go.

[/quote']

Mate, didn't think it would be anywhere near 400bhp - if I did turbo my VR6 it would be my daily driver and looking at the kits available would be about 260-300bhp.

If you ask someone like Stealth to do the conversion you're gonna be heading towards the 10k mark and then there's the running of it' date=' upkeep etc. Then you'll have a 10 year old front wheel drive Mk3 Golf with 400bhp (I'd say any less that that and it's not worth doing) without the correct setting up, handling, running gear (ie 4x4 conversion) as it will not put the power down and it will be breaking most months because whats the point of having one if you're not going to drive it and drive it hard?

[/quote']

Thats why I like the idea of the 4 motion then you get the benefits of a more modern car. 10k is still a hell of a lot cheaper than an R32.

R32 for me all the way' date=' better car, worth more residual value and infinitely nicer to drive. Move on and up mate ;)

As for the 4 motion idea, it's still not an R32 is it? whatever you do to it. Do a finance deal on the R32, put a couple of grand down (whatever you can afford) to bring down the monthly payments and Supercharge it, job done 350hp in a car that will take it.

[/quote']

How much will it cost me to supercharge the R32 mate ?? Had a drive in a normal one and really liked it and it would be my first choice.

If the VR's not going to be a daily drive and you've come in to some serious dosh' date=' then maybe, but it's all down to priorities I suppose. However a turbo'd MK3 Golf VR wouldn't be first on my list.

Good luck though with whatever you do mate, envious position to be in, spend it wisely ;)

[/quote']

Cheers mate :) will try too, just want to have all the facts before I make my decision- so all advice is very welcome.