Does anyone have any problems with rust on a Golf VR6. I have just found a nasty lump of tin worm right in the middle of the nearside sill, between the door rubber and the trim on the top of the sill. This seems unusual for a 96 VW.

This is a common problem with Golfs in general. Is it directly under where there is a join in the rubber seal? Salty water pools in the join in the rubber.

Ive got rust on both doors, one sides even got a hole & its a R plate. I bet there are a few others on here with the same problem. If you havent got holes its ideal to sort out yourself cos the repair will be well hidden.

Guest Olly_K

OH MY GOD, i though i was the only one !

i have exactly the same rust "spot" on the nearside sill, but as mark says the rubber hides it well.

Other areas seem to be at the top of the roof by the windscreen, and slight bubbling on the A pilars

OH MY GOD' date=' i though i was the only one !

[/quote']

Me to I was really ashamed of my car cause of that spot now i know I'm not the only one I feel much better its like being at alcoholics anoynemous (wow thats spellings terrible %-6 )

My name claire and I have a rusty Vr6 &| ;)

My names James and I took advantage of the good weather and repaired my rusty cills!! Didn't take too long actually. I bought the pearl paint from VW £12 for base and laquer. I did find that the paint from the tin did have alot more metal flake than the car. Looks ok though but I reckon it may come back after a shite normal winter. Next time I'll get the whole lot cut out.

Both of our VR's had this same rust patch. :-(

When I bought mine it had quite a nasty scab above the front screen. It also has a couple on the rear arches and one above the lock plinth on the tailgate. This one also seems common.

Still hopefully once the Polo GTi is sold the VR will go into the bodyshop for a full respray and a few tweeks! :-)

Tiny spot on the offside rear arch front inner lip - not actually visible from the outside and this is accident damage where the car has been repaired from a scuff - this is currently being sorted as we speak and hence why im car less (well VR6 less anyhow) :? ,

Apart from that it has the usual 5 dr check strap rubber boot rust on the rear doors like Justins - seems like a design fault....

Apart from that everything is hunky doory 8o)

Pete.

Had the rust problem with the rear doors too tandino, had progressed to rusting the door a bit! Took it to VW and complained about it and apparently it is covered under the anti-perferation warranty. They sorted the rust on the door and glued metal plates over the affected area. Will post a pick if I get a chance.