i bought a cheap mk2 driver that started my vw love afair, then when i was looking for something a bit quicker for a transplant, i found myself pulled towards all the different vr powered cars in the vw mags, i turned the ignition on the one i have now and instantly fell in love with it, of course after the obvious first step of a filter as soon as it got home, and i mean literally went into the shed and pulled out an old one before i even went in for a cuppa, the noise it made when i opened it up got me well and truly stuck, even now everytime i floor it i turn into a gibbering idiot and cant stop smiling, the feel of the power delivery, the noise from a wide open throttle, its the one thing that brings all of us here together, its a drug and im proud to say 'IM ADDICTED'

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a cheap mk2 driver that started my vw love afair' date=' then when i was looking for something a bit quicker for a transplant, i found myself pulled towards all the different vr powered cars in the vw mags, i turned the ignition on the one i have now and instantly fell in love with it, of course after the obvious first step of a filter as soon as it got home, and i mean literally went into the shed and pulled out an old one before i even went in for a cuppa, the noise it made when i opened it up got me well and truly stuck, even now everytime i floor it i turn into a gibbering idiot and cant stop smiling, the feel of the power delivery, the noise from a wide open throttle, its the one thing that brings all of us here together, its a drug and im proud to say 'IM ADDICTED'

[/quote']

as much as i felt the same way, that sounded sad

• 2 weeks later...

Blondie (cant b arsed to sign in!) Urm I had a whole heap of cars b4 owning a vr. anything from an uno to a mk4 polo. A mate of mine had a vr and I used to randomly drive it and was hideously bored of my polo (diseasel!) so went searching for a vr, much to my mom's dismay. All the usual rubbish follows, ul kill ur self blah blah blah. Anyway found a beautiful flash PINK one, rite price, low miles, FSH etc, so brought her. That was 2 yr ago and Ive never looked back.

Never owned a single vw in my wole life, and needed a 4 door car with some poke, after looking at a few subarus that were all ripped and abused took my mate (montevr6)'s advice, looked at a few vr's, glad about my decision now, as they say theres no replacement for displacement.!!

I wanted a solidly built everyday driver that was easy to live with and didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Wanted it to have some welly too.

I'd been through looking at Imprezza's and Evo's and FTO's and MR2 turbo's and even a nearly new CooperS.

The first ones lost out too being too "look at me - come steal me!". The FTO didn't have enough torque, the MR2 turbo didn't have enough seats (and caused my bowels to loosen) and the CooperS was sooo disapointingly cheap and plasticky on the inside I wasn't even interested in a test drive.

That pretty much left the VR6 as default choice. Other than assuming incorrectly it was galvanised, no regrets.

as they say theres no replacement for displacement

..and that's the truth!

I was looking for a car to buy I never paid attention to VW before I scene the GTI VR6 in a lot asked them to pop the hood Scene its beautity drove it down the road and so I had to buy it. Now i'm inlove.

basically i remember looking through auto trader as a kid 12 or 13 and seeing a golf which was for sale with a 2.8 V6 which i thought was mighty impressive. i decided i would own one day.

i ended up having to buy a mk2 16v with full coilover splitties and full leather.

cam'd with a gas flowed head as my first car. bought it for 1000 sold it for 1800. it handled like a dream infact i would buy it back if i could.

i then bought my current car from a salvage yard for pennies and rebuilt her. she is on a cat C but you would never know. was going to SC her but going the scooby route shortly although the vr6 will be kept as my every day car.

i had a 1.8 gl mark 3 and was deeply impressed with the reliability. got to know the mechanics a bit then went into porsches. started doing a 100-mile commute and an 18mpg 5 litre porsche wasn't the best for that, so plumped for a VR6 as a compromise commuter car. still smiling - apart from at the petrol pump...

duncs

Well I always wanted a car that sounded like chewbaca screaming when you put your foot down.

Had a honda crx, loved it but wanted something that didn't scream like a kid so wanted 6 cylinders. My pals vento vr made me hard everytime I got in it but a boot wasn't for me, hence the golf. Never looked back or regretted it. Always loved muscle cars so this is kind of an affordable alternative. AND the look sooooo cool.

Well I always wanted a car that sounded like chewbaca screaming when you put your foot down.

Had a honda crx' date=' loved it but wanted something that didn't scream like a kid so wanted 6 cylinders. My pals vento vr made me hard everytime I got in it but a boot wasn't for me, hence the golf. Never looked back or regretted it. Always loved muscle cars so this is kind of an affordable alternative. AND the look sooooo cool.

[/quote']

This guy conviced me after taking the mick out of my 8v gti

I had a Corrado 2lrt 16v, loved every second of it until i spooned it. Never had the intension of buying or looking at a Golf VR but just couldnt find any Corrado VR's about locally in half decent nick. Saw a Golf VR and took it for drive and that was it. Bought it there and then, it was just too good to turn down. I even take me mates down the pub fora few just so i can scare them on the way back. :) talk about the big grin factor

New to the forum... Had a 306 GTi-6, great car but needed to wring its neck to get the best out of it. After a while it got a bit tiring, not to mention all the bits of trim that fell off.

Ended up selling it for a lot more than I expected; had an advert in the trader and some bloke turned up with a fistful of cash, took it there and then.

Needed something pronto to replace it, and something with some torque. Local to me was a 94/M VR6 - 3 owners and 100k on the clock. Had been neglected but the engine was so sweet! Few weeks on she's had a FULL service, adjustments to the clutch and is getting the bushes replaced. VW mechanic commented on how nice the engine was.....

Love how little effort it all takes. Missus likes the fact that the engine rarely sounds like it's trying to hard, and love the fact that you can be both respectable and hoon in the same car.

But the best bit? VR6 power for £1450. Can't get better value for money as far as I'm concerned.... :)