VR6 quick?

Who races 0-30mph though? I dont have a sensible answer to your question but anything below 30mph really isnt worth worring about

Its just that you've literally got to floor it at that type of speed to get anything out of it.

I really love my VR6 but I have to say after nearly 3 months of ownership I do sometimes think it is a little disapointing. It just doesn't feel that quick and I had never owned anything quicker before i bought the VR6 so it's not like I'm used to big power!

To get anything out of it up to 60mph i keep it into second (lovely sound I have to say!) I suppose what I was asking is how vw measure the 0-60 times? from standstill to 60? 0-60 downhill in second?

I test drove an A3 2.0tdi the other day and it felt very very fast. Yeah I know totally different, what with being a turbo diesel.

I guess i need to fit a turbo in a VR, i'm sure it'd feel a lot faster!

if you have put an aftermarket zorst etc this will effect where the power is and varies from pipe to pipe (Induction/manifolds etc). The car is normally rated to pick its power up higher up the range and 0-30 is all about minimising wheelspin. the grunt comes in once you have good traction and up the rev range.

AS mentioned you must remember how the power is delivered and it does shift. You just have to go out with a mate who has a focus or something and have a blast on a privae road or track and you will soon see the car is very capable especially once off and running.

Also worth making shure you're running well

Good luck!

the vr should be alot faster than a mk3 tdi mate' date='seriously,i mean std the vr gets to 60 in 7.4 secs,at least 3 seacs quicker than the derv

[/quote']

It is faster no doubt about it- just doesn't "feel" as quick I suppose! Do you guys drive it pedal to the floor?? What i'm trying to say is I want to know how to get the best out of my VR6, it's like anything its the way you drive it as well that counts. You can drive an R32 but if you cant drive it properly, you could in theory be overtaken by the stig driving a 1.0L polo :)

get a Schrick VGI for some more low end grunt... perhaps a 3.6 final drive too if you are unhappy with low end performance...

At the end of the day, they are a heavy car.... if you want to go screaming off the line. get a paxo or some other tin can with no ;)

I've been up the arse end of an R32 before now, he was not going anywhere! There's no need to drive it pedal em pedal to the floor, they have bags and bags of torque...

You really need to decide where you want the power delivery and then plan your mods around that :)

Pete

When I had my impreza I had to hire a van to move some furniture about, it was a renualt tdi something, honestly when I got back in my impreza later that day I wonder why it was so slow?? the van had so much grunt but no speed, this may be how you're feeling, your TDI may have felt quicker off the mark but I bet if you sat your old car up against your VR you'd watch your VR dispear into the distance, tdis are very deseptive in how they deliver power and most of the time feel quicker than what they really are.

my VR is more than a match for my mates Cupra R in fast road driving, sure hes a bit quicker off the mark at a traffic light, but who wins anything just because you went accross the startline quicker? the VR really cant be touched once the revs are up and the torque is doing its job, obviously handling and how you drive/gear change comes into it aswell, and my VR is a standard 0BD11 engine apart from an exhaust and suspension change, and i have owned some quick cars, and the VR is up there with my tuned G60 Rallye

When I had my impreza I had to hire a van to move some furniture about' date=' it was a renualt tdi something, honestly when I got back in my impreza later that day I wonder why it was so slow?? the van had so much grunt but no speed, this may be how you're feeling, your TDI may have felt quicker off the mark but I bet if you sat your old car up against your VR you'd watch your VR dispear into the distance, tdis are very deseptive in how they deliver power and most of the time feel quicker than what they really are.

[/quote']

Think you're right!

there gotta be summat wrong with ure vr if you think it's slow .... ! mid range its a very quick car and as for a vr6 matching an r32 ? mmmmm not quite so sure on that one as own both and have done my own little 'tests' on certain roads/landmarks though granted mid range not too much in it ! as for the TDi related comments thats when i have most fun in my debadged vr .... its just nice to see them disappear in the rear view mirror ... and to embarrass lower end porsche owners ... priceless !

there was a new lad at work a while back, who it was rumoured prior to his arrival 'was well into his golfs' mmm i thought, im a natural target then having a vr6.Low and behold he turns up, mk3 tdi tarted up, jetex back box the lot! what a dreamer.When i was making a brew he comes over, basically bigging up the tdi and saying vr's arent fast. I reckon ive forgot more about golfs than he knows at this point.Our early morning journeys to work used to clash and i'd bump into him en route.He would drive like a bell end to try and prove his point even in the wet.I never once got dragged in to his games and offers to race cos all he would do is say 'it wasnt that much quicker than mine really' One day he must have been behind me a few cars away, i hadnt seen him,and i just really goes for it away from the lights and up the dual carriageway thinking i was late for work! when i looked in my mirror i saw his crummy tdi paddling away about half a mile behind!!, he was two cars away at the lights and i hadnt realised.The vr roared away big time and i never saw him until i got to work.He never spoke to me at all that week. There must be something wrong if a mk3 tdi feels more lively than a vr.

could it be simply that the tdi is more noisy than the silky smooth vr6 hence giving the impression it's a bit quicker (to the driver only of course) - i've had a similar thing comparing my vr to my r32 - the r32 is a much quieter delivery of power from the engine so when i drive the vr6 i sometimes feel it's 'quicker' even though it certainly isn't !!

could it be simply that the tdi is more noisy than the silky smooth vr6 hence giving the impression it's a bit quicker (to the driver only of course) - i've had a similar thing comparing my vr to my r32 - the r32 is a much quieter delivery of power from the engine so when i drive the vr6 i sometimes feel it's 'quicker' even though it certainly isn't !!

Yep, that certainly could be something to do it with it too.My Vr6 is by no means slow, it's just that it "feels" slow. I remember the first day i drove it, slowing down at traffic lights, the engine was so quiet i genuinely thought I'd stalled!

When you started the TDI up you knew it was an old derv! Complete with vibrating sterring wheel lol! Compare that to the V6, I went from one opposite to the other!

The VR is quick but you've got to rev it quite hard at times to get the best out of it imo.

What really is the best way to get the most out of it? At traffic lights for example? Overtaking on a country lane? It seems to me the VR is best on motorway- genuinely effortless cruising.

0-60 the vr should kill the tdi.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Data.aspx?model=1015.9

1.9 GL Turbo 75bhp 102 14.9

1.9 GL TDI 90bhp 110 12.4

2.8 VR6 174bhp 140 7.4

cant even see the 90bhp model having as much torque as a vr6 tho. reckon it has 140 max. the vr6 has 170 lbs i believe. first time i got my mates in my vr6 they both said WOW as i pulled off from the lights. so its not bad