Normal operating oil temp is 88-90c. Takes at least 10-15mins to reach this. Stealth recommend not to take the revs over 3000-3500k during this warm up period.

70-80 seems a bit low to be normal operating temp.

my car oil temp sat at 86c on back roads and only when thrashing it very hard did it get to 96c so is this right had oil changed that day iv had the car for 5 days now its giving 27.0mpg normal 21.0 trashing but can only get 31.0 when driving like a granny

• 1 year later...

when i first got my vr after my mk2 astra i had got into the habit of thrashing my car from cold. stupid i know but only did it twice in the vr and now i am extra carefull with warming the engine, tyres, gearbox etc before i cane it. anyway mine got to bout 6k revs and i braked to a stop and it stalled thought i had proper shagged it. restarted engine and it was fine not sure if it ran lumpy? im cringing as i write this and have never done it again!!

My sits around 80-90 when driving normal but when I drive it hard ive seen it around 105. Once I seen this I carm myself down untill it drops to normal.

Am i damaging anythink getting it this hot, is this normal or is there somthink wrong with it. Its not a turbo or anythink ....

I got 110c out of mine when i was on the motorway driving up to silverstone for the grand prix. OK, so i was racing a BMW and a clio V6, but it was 7.00 in the morning and quite cool. I was doing 120mph for about 3 mins at a time, but as soon as i saw the temp at 110 i had to bring the speed down to 60mph for about 5 mins untill the temp came down to 100.

:-d guessing its normal then. Did used to know the oil temp it stops doing the job properly and starts braking down. Can't remeber now tho

I like your car btw (black fully smoothed doors) Its rare to see both side strips and door handles smoothed. I was going to go for one or the other. Propbaly remove the door handles as less work, more protection in car parks lol

How come you didn't do the front bumper?

Wasn't sure if i would like both smoothed but now ive seen it i do, Now i donno what im doing to mine again lol

:-d guessing its normal then. Did used to know the oil temp it stops doing the job properly and starts braking down. Can't remeber now tho

I like your car btw (black fully smoothed doors) Its rare to see both side strips and door handles smoothed. I was going to go for one or the other. Propbaly remove the door handles as less work' date=' more protection in car parks lol

How come you didn't do the front bumper?

Wasn't sure if i would like both smoothed but now ive seen it i do, Now i donno what im doing to mine again lol

[/quote']

tut tut

although i drove to Manchester last weekand my average speed was over 85 for an hour strech also the fuel average was 24.5MPG

It varies massively but decent semi-synth oils will be ok up to 110 and fully synthetics are ok up to 125.

The main thing you'll do running high oil temperatures for prolonged raggings is kill the oil quicker.

If you use good oil and change the oil regularly then theres little harm in seeing temperatures of 100-110 degrees for short periods.

Min temps wise, it again depends massively but you should be seeing 60+ before giving it stick and its probably wise waiting till you're in the optimum 80-90 degrees band before giving it proper death :D

• 2 weeks later...

i changed the oil about 3k miles ago, put in a litre of lucas oil treatment also, its like a honey consistency, since then i need to be over 130 to get the temp over 100. it cost's about £18:00 a litre, but is well worth it, ill be using it again for the next oil change and will see how hot it gets in warmer ambient conditions, at the moment it very rarely goes over 90 in normal driving, i.e. mostly below 100.