is my vr6 faster than a type r civic?

i standing start raced the mates type r civic 2004 in my standard vr6 countless times and got beat, not by much ( didnt walk over me as i was just behind) but it was hands down slightly quicker, i went past his accord type r and stayed infront, the civics are faster, im bustin to walk past a civic lol

i standing start raced the mates type r civic 2004 in my standard vr6 countless times and got beat' date=' not by much ( didnt walk over me as i was just behind) but it was hands down slightly quicker, i went past his accord type r and stayed infront, the civics are faster, im bustin to walk past a civic lol

[/quote']

thats exactly what id expect stock for stock and equally modded ctr IS a bit (not much) quicker its the gearbox i tell thee hehe

the civic would have beaten a mk3 vr6 with those mods...

yes the gearing is very close on the ctr's hence the 6th gear too.

vr ratios are good for forced aspiration as they need more torque/power to pull through the longed out gears heance 70mph in 2nd.

its a totaly differant story in my mk2 golf tho, its much lighter so the engine pulls through the gears much quicker, the revs build up so much quicker than when the engine was in the mk3.

i destroy civic's even before the 268's. just goes to show making your car faster is not just about adding power!!

At lower speed my car was pretty even with a ctr after coming out from a roundabout - I was in front of him and he kept with me - however I was pulling away in second gear not first so I could have been a bit quicker from the roundabout. However after about 5 secs my car started pulling away from it - and he was definitely trying as he tried having another race to keep up with me from the next roundabout. My car has 207bhp though which helps.

My Corrado with 3.68 diff and quaife' date=' schrick and 268s used to easily beat Civic TRs. 3.68 is the way to go. Makes better use of the engine's torque in the midrange, so no need to drop to 4th at 70. 5th will do just fine.

[/quote']

My mk2 VR has a 3.68 and Peloquin diff, 268s....

Should go well.

• 1 month later...

I own a CTR, totally standard with a Pro Spec exhaust. Against a "standard" Golf VR6 it will "just" have the legs. However this depends on whether you maximise the gearbox and rev above 7.5k before changing up.

It is very easy to get caught in the wrong gear and lose tenths, the power delivery isnt linear enough and this is where the silky smooth VR6 can gain the upper hand.

This of course is relevant to straight line assaults only, I'm afraid the twisties present a problem for the Golf VR6 as its a bit "saggy" in standard form, with the right mods though its a contender for sure.

The CTR is let down badly by the wooden steering feel, although not to bad on a smooth track, on the road it can lead to some scary moments especially when wet :)

Should have kept my Corrado ;)

hey corradogang ;)

stock vr6 isnt saggy its fookin dangerous (on 90k with standerd shocks at least) ctr is quick but its all down to the ridiculous gear ratios 8250 rpm and it wont crack 60 in 2nd rofl my vr is 6800 and it does 70 (indicated) its all about torque high revs allows the use of short gearing which multiplies torque more simple as that

I think Civic type-R's are over rated, as far as know my car is standard. A few months ago me and a mate were racing down a back road, he has a clio 172 which is quicker than my vr round the bends but im glued to his ass on the staights, a civic type-R decided to join in just behind us and as the road turned into a dual carridge way the civic pulled out early and went for it, i dropped it down cog and n went screaming past the pair of em at well over 100mph they both gave up tryin when i hit 120, i think i hit 130mph b4 i ran out of road.

and it was deffinatly a TYPE R and not a TYPE S.

hey corradogang ;)

stock vr6 isnt saggy its fookin dangerous (on 90k with standerd shocks at least) ctr is quick but its all down to the ridiculous gear ratios 8250 rpm and it wont crack 60 in 2nd rofl my vr is 6800 and it does 70 (indicated) its all about torque high revs allows the use of short gearing which multiplies torque more simple as that

Dont tell me old Corradogang has a reputation on this forum too :)

:) Stock VR Golf is dangerous on 90k standard shocks, absolutely.Thing is the CTR will crack 60 quicker even if there is a need to change up to third. Even the Focus ST struggles contrary to popular belief. Like I said though, its down to the driver hitting the right gear with the optimal peak being only 7.5k revs rather than hitting the limiter.

My CTR just doesnt fill me with the confidence I had with previous motors.

The list includes several VW's from a Mk1 GTI through to the Corrado, I have even owned a couple of Fords including a Focus and a Puma.

Yes the Honda is reliable and quick enough but it has no soul ;)