ok. as some of you might've noticed, i'm quite new to the forum, but i've started 2 threads already with problems concerning my VR6

i always thought it was running great. but the more i check it, the more problems i find ~:(

putting aside the problem with the starting and the loss of coolant, i found out that my fuel rail is leaking petrol.

the plastic tube/hose that goes into the fuel rail (on the left of the fuel rail as you look at it) is leaking petrol.

other than this problem, i found that there are some of what i think is engine oil behind the engine.. all over the block.

what can be the problem? i took it to a VW dealer and they told me to get a new rocker cover gasket, and a new fuel rail + the hose... and that should solve all the problems?

is that true? and how big of a job is that? anyone know the approximate costs?

thanks,

jeff

p.s. are those common problems on the VR6 ?

firstly there is no way to check if its in "limp" mode. you can only have the fault codes checked with a vag com or similar. most vag garages have a 1552 tester, which links to your cars ecu and tests for faulty sensors around the engine. this will show you all of the things thay have caused this "limp" mode. you can buy a vag-com from http://www.vag-com.co.uk.

if it is just the hose that is leaking (i would replace this before the fuel rail to check) then it is just a pipe from the fuel rail to the back left of the engine, connecting to some solid pipes. replce this with fuel piping and it should sort you out, easy huh? if its not the pipe then its the fuel rail, (probably rust). i am unsure of how difficult this is to replace as i have never changed one, Yet!

final question... to change the rocker cover you will need to remove the cover at the back of the engine with a torx wrench/screwdriver, then the inlet manifold with an allen key (a big one lol) and i am unsure of what bolts the rocker cover down (someone chime in!) but once this is removed just replace the gasket and work in reverse to refit everything. bit of a tedious task if never done before, but possable.

also, i have no idea of cost, as i havent had much trouble yet, well none that i have fixed, ha ha. my cars running very nasty at the moment. hope this helps

[ Edited Mon Jun 14 2004, 05:28PM ]

Who was the last person to touch your car in the fuel rail area? have you modified anything or have you had any work done recently?

Have you installed an uprated Fuel Pressure Regulator recently?

Anyway, there are two lines into the fuel rail - the top one brings pressurised fuel in to the rail, along to the Fuel Pressure Regulator at the other end, which then allows some fuel to return back along the botton pipe. So basically the top pipe is the one thats got the pressure i.e. more likely to leak.

If its just the hose thats leaking at the fuel rail, it could just be a case of removing the clamp and hose and re-seating it - take it off, clean the surfaces and put it back on.

It could also be a split hose, which would really require a new hose if the split is too far from the fuel rail - the vr6 uses pre-formed rubber hoses and they dont sit right if you shorten them. If the split is near to the rail, you might be able to sufficiently shorten the hose and re-clamp it back up.

I'm not sure why you would need a new fuel rail? If the rail was cracked or badly rusted, then yes - but its prob just a bad seal at the joint.

As for oil all down the back of the engine, it can sometimes come from the vertical cam chain cover on the right of the engine (the one with the large tensioner bolt that the coil pack / distributor mounts on). High pressure oil is fed into this cover on its way to the cam chain tensioner, and if its leaking, it tends to run along and down the back of the engine, and also all over the top of the gearbox.

Jules

[ Edited Mon Jun 14 2004, 05:43PM ]

alright. thanks for the info

i took the car to an AA certified garage today and they told me that if i want to change the rocker cover gasket' date=' they will need to take the engine out... and the labour is 500quid... f*ck[/quote']

DON'T GO NEAR THAT GARAGE AGAIN...THEY DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE BLOODY ENGINE TO CHANGE THE ROCKER COVER GASKET. its a simple and inexpensive procedure, and shoud cost half an hours labour!

where are you based may i ask?

[blockquote]I fancy getting one of these VAG-COM kits. Which one would I need for an OBD1 (1994) Golf VR6?. I have the later-type connector, located above the ashtray.[/blockquote]

you could go for pretty much any of the packages, remembering that it may be worth buying a more expensive one, with usb, and 2x2 connector (for early obd1 cars like mine ;) ), so you can use it on other cars.

i tried to get in touch with the company to see about a group buy, because i beleive a fair few ppl would be interested in this, but they dont reply to emails, and wont answer the phone. lol. ill try again another day. cos im desperate for one, but havent got a laptop yet. lol.

Jeff_VR6 wrote: ...

alright. thanks for the info

i took the car to an AA certified garage today and they told me that if i want to change the rocker cover gasket, they will need to take the engine out... and the labour is 500quid... f*ck

Jeff who is running the garage Homer simpson .. ???

500 quid can get me a ticket to hong kong and i'll come change it for you for free .....thats if your gonna buy the ticket of course... :D

Remove the engine to replace the rocker gasket?? LOL! £500 to HK is cheap, cost me £900 in 1999 with Cathay Pacific....mmmm...quality hostesses!!!

Get some carb cleaner, blast the dripping oil away, take the inlet manifold off and nip the rocker cover bolts up. Should cure your leak.