need sum advice plz,gota a 96 vr & i really fink its drinkin 2 much fuel! im only gettin 65 miles wen i put in £20 of optimaxmy mfa is average 15 mpg and thats drivin it nice! does ne1 else get crappy fuel return like that? oh yea its standard spec 2! *-)

Thats way over and something seems pretty wrong. I get 34-36mpg on long runs by driving gentle and 22-28mpg on hard runs/town driving. Aree you doing lots of "urban driving" with heavy boots on cos that will get through the gas big time.

wen i 1st got the car a few weeks bk i was givin it large every time i drove the fing but my mfa was reading 8mpg so i soon slowed down :) bin drivin round town like a grandad 4 the last week and i aint gettin better than 15 mpg :@

Sounds like the car is running in safe mode, so you wont get a very good mpg. Usually its something to do with the temp sensor, I know on my G40 Polo, removing the temp sensor and reving it 3 times above 3000rpm puts it in safe mode. I would try disconnecting temp sensor, rev it above 3k for a minut or two, switch off the engine connect sensor , restart engine and rev above 3k rpm 3 times, see if that takes it out of safe mode.

I dont know if this will work, but i supppose its worth a try, ill have a proper look at my vr6 manual to see if anythings in there.

• 1 month later...

its basicaly a diagnostics machine. it will read fault codes stored in the ecu and most of the time tell if something is wrong.

as said before, before you start trial and error, get it on vag-com.

colud be many other things like, lambda sensor or air-flow meter. when my 1st vr was runnin like ***t, poor fuel consumpsion etc etc, thats what it turned out to be.

25mpg's not bad, at the mo, im running 268 cams, 6 branch, zorts/filter and no cat in a mk2 golf and mine reads between 22 and 27 around town.

it also depend what mods you have, all the common mods that are done first like air filter exaust cams etc will create more air flow therefore you engine will consume more fuel...

having said that my chargers goin on next week with bigger injectors so probably on its way to about 10mpg lol :)

ive cleaned it all out with injector cleaner, aint made no difference to the mpg and as far as i know its only ot a zorst and filter, i defo need new plugs and leads as one is dodgy and causing a misfire, that couldnt have anything do with it could it? -- sorry yes blonde female here haha, im pretty sure its not a major problem but i want it purrr-fect:D

No need to go there. Any grease monkey could sort that kind of problem out! Find yourself a local mechanic with at least two brain cells and you will be up and running in no time. Steer clear of the old ones though, most over 40`s, are a whizz on Carbs, but as soon as they get a fault code on an ECU they will strip it out and replace it, and then scratch their bum when the fault is still there! Probably something simple lika a sensor if the engine is running OK apart from the fuel consumption.

give stoke vw spares a ring on 07957204365 or 07782154286 tell em i sent ya ;)

mint tahnks will go there next week, do i say 'eat this' sent me?? lol they will think im crazier than i already am,

the only thing wrong with the engine other than this is the misfire which i'll sort by changing the plugs and leads - fingers crosssed:)

oh yeah and the exhaust pops but i like that hehe

will this place in stoke do me a vagcom thingy???

thanks everyone for ya help it really is appreciatted!

if you say u have a missfire, that will play a part in your consumption. when mine was missing, it was down to a dodgy afm, and my consumpsion wouldnt go over 12mpg!!!

best thing, give it a service with plugs, if still missin, try leads, as there common to go too, if not afm.

but prob best to get it on vag com after the service

thanks 6potmkII, youve been a great help, i didnt realise missing would actually affect consumption, im changing the plugs and leads 2moz so will see what happens before i get it on the vagcom,

oh and shorty i wouldnt of known about it guzzling fuel if i didnt have an highline prior which could get 32 mpg!!!you should get yours checked out too me thinks:)

give stoke vw spares a ring on 07957204365 or 07782154286 tell em i sent ya ;)

mint tahnks will go there next week' date=' do i say 'eat this' sent me?? lol they will think im crazier than i already am,

the only thing wrong with the engine other than this is the misfire which i'll sort by changing the plugs and leads - fingers crosssed:)

oh yeah and the exhaust pops but i like that hehe

will this place in stoke do me a vagcom thingy???

thanks everyone for ya help it really is appreciatted!

[/quote']

yes say eatthis sent u theyl laugh but they do know me my cars goin in there tomorow lol

most vr exhausts pop its great hehe

they dont have vagcom but i think they know a local guy who does and tbh they are experianced and may not need it

ps the missfire is probably leads vrs eat leads if theyr not good