VR6 feels like it doesnt want to start

My VR6 will not start unless I keep the key turned at the start position for over 5 seconds... The engine does turn over as I can hear it, but this doesn't sound right..

Any ideas?

Btw I got a video of me starting the car and you can clearly hear the engine struggling.. PM me if you want it.

Thanks

Jeff

i've had a problems staring recently...is the starter motor.

but mine's different to yours i suspect, mine doesn't turn over and the lights fade (as tho battery is dead), but then if i keep trying it'll suddenly just start!

think i may have sussed the best way to do it. if i pump the throttle twice then just turn the key it starts!

but usually (and thi is from my racing!) the best way to start a car is to turn the key, then press the throttle to about quarter throttle. works everytime (unless its fu**ed up like mine!)

Hmmm, so it cranks over but doesn't fire? It might be the ignition switch from what you've said. Have you tried wiggling the key about as you turn it? How old is the car? Might have a dodgy transponder in the key if you've got a factory immobiliser.

Prolonged VR starts are generally caused by a crank sensor that's losing it's resolution or some kind of ignition related problem.

Just a few more ideas for the melting pot.....

oh and no i haven't had time to sort it out... it's sitting in my garage now :)

the downside is... i'm using a vauxhall vectra and a toyota camry for my daily journeys... :(... the camry is fine but the vectra is total shite... the engine sounds like a diesel when it is a 2.0L petrol lol

coolant loss into plugs(piston /conbustion camber) due to headgasket blown may need to turn over to and over clear plugs to fire hense poor starting but must admit might not be ,hard to say not able see car (if head gasket leaking just a bit will still run fine till starts to leak more ) garage should be able to test coolant for conbustion gases to see if headgasket is problem ,its a simple test only a 2 min job