vts-vs-vr6 debate revisited

just raced a friends vts home from work, standing start away from traffic lights, me behind. fair play, it was quite quick away, but into second and that was it all over really! overtook him doing 90 and never looked back! well, apart from to see my other workmate overtake him to in his 206gti sp! and he was trying to, so no comments about "he must have lifted off" or "must have had summat stuck under the accelerator" ! anyone else come across one of these little pocket rockets since the last debate on the subject! :P !amazed

Guest Olly_K

havent come across another yet, very suprised he beat you off the line. but they are light as a feather. I had trouble despatching one in 2nd through to 4th, he was stuck to my arse, but once in 5th the gap widend. I HATE THEM THINGS !

One of my mates (well more a friend of a friend) has a VTS and after reading the last post on this subject (admittedly I was a little surprised at what I was hearing) I decided that the next time I bumped into him we would have a bit of a razz. Done now, and I just wasn't that impressed. Yeah they are quite quick off the line but by then end of second I was starting to pull away and through third it was all over. Doesn't prove or disprove anything but thought I'd chuck in my 2 pence worth anyway.

I was interested in buying a VTR a couple of years back. I drove one at a citroen garage. It was pretty rubbish really. I looked around at the interior from where i was perched on my gaudy yellow and black patterned seat and though, "no way can i buy this car". I only drove it a little so i can't really comment on performance but i was very dissapointed with the whole thing.

Mind you i did buy a renault 19 16v instead, so my taste and knowledge was not that great back then....

raced a modded 106 gti, with a lad motorsport head in my turbo. He was surprising quick considering i had 193 at the wheels in a fiesta. vr would definately beat them in 2nd, no probs. vr's have never been fantastic off the line unless u absolutely redline and devastate gearbox and clutch

hey andrew, i was just trying to see who would come back at me with the "not this thread again" comment! first prize goes to you, but it had to be done! stoopid french pieces of poo anyhow! on a lighter note, can you give me some advice/help/places where i can maybe do a track driving course, as thinking of putting together a track car for some fun weekends away?

never come across the vtr's/vts's......have always thought they go well.....some of my mates have got the ibiza 1.8t's....standard the vr will kill them.......chipped with a few choice mods....they are evenly matched up to 135mph..then the vr will pull past or at least mine did on the way up to the inters........supprised me and my mate's ;)

never come across the vtr's/vts's......have always thought they go well.....some of my mates have got the ibiza 1.8t's....standard the vr will kill them.......chipped with a few choice mods....they are evenly matched up to 135mph..then the vr will pull past or at least mine did on the way up to the inters........supprised me and my mate's ;)interscon.jpg

had one of those bmw 328is race me on way to all types show' date='showed him !and he should have more power![/quote']

have also come across one of them....he was 4up though so not very fair :D

E36 328's are actually pretty identical in performance to the vr6...probably a poor driver.

can you give me some advice/help/places where i can maybe do a track driving course' date=' as thinking of putting together a track car for some fun weekends away? [/quote']

well, all depends on how much you wanna spend?

for the ultimate, do silverstone race schools 5-day intensive course. i've done it, you get pretty much 4 full days of driving caterham/single seater/saloon skid cars, track driving in saloon/single seaters, plus lots of classroom theory, then get a race day in a proper single seater race. you also obtain a race licence and get some free race gear. the cost? £2000-£2500 dependent on which single seater you choose to drive. this was my first step into motorsport, and would advise it to anyone, the improvement you make is probably the equivelant of two years of racing!

on a smaller scale, a few skid car sessions (£200 an hour at silverstone), and a few sessions on track in a saloon car with one to one tuition (again about £200 an hour at silverstone), will help immensly.

could be cheaper at other tracks, but silverstone race school is the best...with instructors from btcc/F3 etc.

never come across the vtr's/vts's......have always thought they go well.....some of my mates have got the ibiza 1.8t's....standard the vr will kill them.......chipped with a few choice mods....they are evenly matched up to 135mph..then the vr will pull past or at least mine did on the way up to the inters........supprised me and my mate's ;)interscon.jpg

Hope you had two hands on the wheel tommy!!! :P

[ Edited Wed May 19 2004' date= 07:19PM ]