Was at traffic lights last night and noticed steam coming out from around the drivers side headlight - checked the coolant this morning and the level had dropped just below the minimum but theres no sign of where the water is leaking from and the only place I can see steam coming from is from the area around all of the pulleys near the air filter - any ideas of where it could be coming from? Could it be related the water pump?

Cheers 8)

Errrr.... Yep its the radiator unfortunately, its the crimps on the core thats let you down amigo !sad .. mine did this also and since replacing the radiator....No Wuckin' Furries..Level restored to normal and...the car appears to run cooler too! Oddly enough I had the same result last night and Bricked myself that it has happened all over again.. but the temperature was low last night and the car was just washed so I put it down to water through the grill sitting on the radiator thawing off... checked the levels first thing this morning and...success!!! Levels all normal :P ... Bad news Amigo, £76 notes to 80 should see a new one :(( .. and normal service will resume... :P

Cheres for the reply - the chassis leg does look more wet than it should but then again that could be the rain! Theres no squealing or anything & its not getting hot yet. I did think it could be the rad but it doesnt look as if theres any steam coming from the front of the engine bay - looks to be at the side somewhere

water pump sits directly under your auxillery belt tensioner and they are quite common for going and it does sound like this is prob but changing can be a bit ov a twat as you need to loosen engine mounts and raise that side ov engine to remove and refit it.

I'd go with water pump, mine did the same thing last month, you could see a trickle of water running down the side of the block when the car was really hot. I changed mine in a couple of hours and its onlt £24ish from GSF.

Excellent! Cheers - doesnt sound like its anything too bad then which is good. Is it better to use an OEM pump or is there no difference?

I don't know really, I would probably have used a VW one if they'd had one in. Its only a rotating shaft when you think about it, pulley on one end, impeller on the other, what could possibly go wrong! My VW had a broken impeller blade on it (plastic) whereas the GSF one was metal, so won't break.

i can still get really good discount on genuine vw parts, upto 25% on some things (some more depending) on some service stuff its more!, i know its a pain to get them sent etc, but if anyone wants something just prior to a show (that i am going to!) i can always get it and bring it along, dont mind doing that for anyone ;)

My philosophy has always been to use genuine parts at least where the part is awkward/difficult/time-consuming to fit or reasonably priced in the first place.

The exception would be where the original part is a known weak part, in which case you can hardly do worse.

ive had gsf water pumps that are knackered in the box but you cant tell til you fit and water pees out of bearing .quite annoying actually.i wouldnt buy from gsf again personally.

I've used sooo much stuff from GSF without a problem, I've had one wheel bearing that wore out after about 12k (then replaced foc), apart from that no worries at all. Someone on here said once, don't get an auxilliary belt from GSF they're crap, I've bought three for different VR6s and they've all been bosch. Loads of parts use the same manufacturer as the dealer. It's saved me a huge amount of money over the years, each to their own though. I bought a set of 12 valves too, same make as VW ones, £10 each rather than £25 each. It all adds up.