Shrick manifolds - Have you fitted yours yet?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest couzens
Well' date=' here she is (my car looks like all those I used to see in the VW mags now... :D )

[img']http://corallo.mysite.freeserve.com/schrick/1.jpg

Now - what it like to drive?

Ok jcorallo I would like to be taken for a spin. If you live anywhere near Andover, Hampshire, pop by this weekend please...........

If not, anyone else? Would luv to see the output of the manifold + SC. Then afterwards you can drive my STANDARD REAL PROPER Vr :o

[ Edited Sat May 01 2004, 09:12AM ]

regarding the insurance - I think mine will be the same next year - around £600 (with 5000 miles limited) fully comp. Goes to about £700 for unlimited miles. The policy is a general modified policy with a max bhp limit of 250, but you have to detail all mods of course...

I've just declared these mods and some others (water injection, change of wheels, change of suspension) to my insurance company and they charged me £60 - which is more of an 'admin' fee - the insurance cost will be the same next year, if not a little less as my points should have gone by then! ;)

Jules

[ Edited Sun May 02 2004, 02:03PM ]

All fitted on Saturday (thanks Jules).

The first thing I did was take it to the nearest stretch of dual carriageway and floor itI did this, expecting to think something along the lines of "Woooooooooah, F*CK ME!" and I was bitterly disappointed. If I hadn't known it was different, I'd never have noticed.

However, I have to say that having used the car normally over the weekend it's a definite improvement. In town driving I find the power band is much better-placed, and the car always seems ready to go when I want it to.

So what's my reaction? Mixed. It hasn't had quite the effect I'd hoped for - I thought this was going to revolutionise the all-out performance, which it hasn't, but it has to be said that the car is far better in 'normal' driving. I can't wait to try it on a dry, twisty road.

Was it worth £1100 though? I'll let you know....

Only a filter, exhaust and gas-flowed TB, nohting major.

I'm very keen to know what others think of their manifolds once fitted. I don't know whether my expectation were too high, whether it's just hype or whether there's a problem, which I doubt because it runs fine...

I was having a think to myself about this. Your throttle body - its larger isnt it? I know one thing - that a larger throttle body can cause a loss of low down torque as the air is moving slower. Do you still have your old TB? It might be an idea to refit it and see how you go.

I have a spare one for your car if you are stuck which you can try.

I know that my car felt less powerfull when I fitted the 2.9 engine - which has the larger manifold and TB. It is more powerful (more bhp) but less torquey.

Its just a thought.....

With the SC plus Schrick, I found that I was boosting sooner - my water injection was kicking in up to 1000rpms earlier (so I now need to re-adjust it) - the manifold seemed to have amplified the boost at 3000rpms.

Jules

I felt the same Nickbee. Wasn't immediately impressed, but like you say, urban driving is more relaxed and I find myself entering roundabouts in 4th, thinking I'm still in 3rd. Don't forget, this was the whole point of the Schrick, to move the torque lower down the rev band and it has done exactly what it says on the tin. I think to get the extra 'WOW' you're looking for, you should consider a chip and maybe some Schrick cams.

I found the extra speed is deceptive. I now pull up to cars in front a damn site quicker than before, but the acceleration doesn't feel that way. You can't argue with the numbers tho, the speedo climbs faster. The engine is just too smooth and quiet and the MK3 too refined and the improvement too modest to get Day and night differences. For that, you need a turbo.

It's good on the motorway too. At 70mph in a standard car, you know nothing will happen when you put your foot down to get out of the way of wankpot in the Vectra behind. But now, sitting at 3000rpm in 5th waiting for a gap, the engine feels more alert and ready to pounce. And it *does* move far quicker from 3000 than a standard car does.

Worth £1100. Yes I'd say so. The product lives up to it's promises but just don't expect too big an improvement until it's been chipped.

That's a good post Kev. I'm sure it is faster, I was certainly driving more keenly on the way to work this morning. It's just it's a much more subtle effect than I had expected, which at the time was something of a disappointment. I'm sure when I've got used to it and drive a standard VR I won't regret it at all...

I think you need to drive it a couple of times to fully appreciate it. You won't be scrutinising the car so much looking for changes then. Bit like listening to a CD for a few times before it sinks in.

I've just been out for a lunch time fix and in this rainy, thick air, the car really motors. The torque is very addictive!

The best way to summarise the changes is MK2 Golf GTi 8V. I.e. tractable, torquey and responsive around town with a big slug of torque at 3500rpm, but on a larger scale! And obviously you retain the 4000rpm pick-up too. Best of both worlds.

I didn't want to come back to work. I now have that "looking for excuses to drive the car" feeling again.

Definitley £1100 well spent in my opinion!

K

Yep, I'm going for an AmD remap too, and AmD big bore throttle (bigger than the Corrado 2.9 one that is).

Just had a thought. My first drive with the Schrick was OK, but not brilliant and it's been getting better. Could this be due to the ECU re-adapting to the amount of extra air the Schrick is drawing in? It pinked yesterday at 3500 at WOT as Vince said it might, but today....no pinking....

K

Yer, it`s deff. a different engine note... sound more healthy 8o)

It comes into it`s own around town, and on motorway. I`m not having to change gear to overtake the `old grinner` sat in the middle lane, in his brown rover 213 anymore... :P;)