Golf VR6 suspension options ... which are good makes and which are to be avoided!?

Hi

I own a 1997 golf vr6. Everything is great about the car... however I definitely need to sort out the handling but don't want to spend huge money on coilovers. I have posted on here a fair bit regarding suspension and it seems as though lowering springs on their own is not a good idea. (although AMD seem to say springs on their own will improve the handling - Stealth tell me the opposite) Therefore I'm a bit confused but to err on the side of caution have decided uprated lowering springs AND uprated shocks is what I'm going to go for.

I have had a look at the Venommotorsport.com website as they are recommended as being a cheap but reputable supplier. To add to my confusion (about whether springs can be used on their own) on the Venom website...in the Eibach spring section it says Eibach Pro performance springs are designed to work with standard FACTORY dampers/shocks. Is this correct?? And why do AMD and Stealth both say different things?

Back to my question...I know that Eibach, Koni and H&R are very good makes. However there are other makes (some I haven't heard much about) - how good are they, for example SPAX (which seem good value)... are their suspension kits (which I assume includes BOTH the lowering spring and shock) are they good quality? I have heard very bad things about GMAX so I'm going to avoid them. What about any other makes... any good or bad ones?

I'm going to contact Venom by email to see if they do any deals or sell second hand goods... ideally a Koni shock and Eibach or H&R spring set up - as their website doesn't seem to do Koni shocks on their own. But they do sell springs separately.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Matt

ps. If anyone knows of other good cheap suppliers please let me know.

i've recently had eibach lowering springs and koni sports adjustable shocks fitted to my vr6 - perfect set up but not the cheapest - but if you're driving a VR6 then i wouldn't personally go for a cheaper option - at the end of the day you're driving a decent car which can still outperform (with the suspension sorted) cars far more expensive .... dont be afraid to spend a bit on the suspension !!

Haven't heard of Sachs... sounds good from what you say. Is it a good quality make like the well known brands (such as koni, eibach etc)?... and did your 300 pay for both the spings and shocks? How much did the Sachs kit lower your car by and was the ride very hard or comfortable? Which is ideally better...sachs or a koni eibach set up? Venom also do a Koni shock and Koni spring complete set... are eibach springs better than the koni springs...hence most people tend to stick with just the koni shocks but opt for eibach springs?

I believe the Koni shock/ eibach spring set up lowers the car about 30-35mm. If my car is lowered 30 or 35mm is it going to look noticably lower or not much different to standard? Ideally I want my car to have a lower more aggresive stance without being over the top. Obviously the handling would be greatly improved but wondered how my car would actually look like with just 30mm drop (and at what point/drop will I have to start watching out for speed bumps etc?) I'm keeping my standard 15inch bbs alloys for the time being by the way.

Stealth have told me they will fit it all for

I'll have a look at local garages. I did get a quote from a local one and it was more expensive but like you say I ought to be able to get a better deal... I just need it done right.

Haven't heard of weitec tx...are they coilovers or a suspension kit? How much did you pay for it?

its a suspension kit i got mine from c and r nottm

i got it cheap due to somebody cancelled order ,

250 pounds, should have been around 500.alot of money

i think but could be alot cheaper now. fitted by me and brother.

Koni dampers and eibach springs work very well, leave the back soft and tune up the stiffness on the front to get to a point you like. I have got fantastic handling by doing this.

Rims are an important part here and if you go to 17" you can get tramlining or the car will tend to want to follow the road camber alot. A good compromise between looks and handling/ride is 16" rims with this sus setup.

Pete

I have heard very bad things about GMAX so I'm going to avoid them.

Dunno what you've heard mate but i've got a full Gmax setup and i'm chuffed to bits with it, it is a soft ride that has a fixed drop of about 40mm, you're gonna get some rubbing with 4 up if you wanna run 17's but the Gmax set does everything i want it to and i'd put it on another car anyday, great setup for just over 200 squid imo...

I'm not saying i think you should get Gmax, i'm just giving my 2p's worth ;)

Thanks for all your replies guys. Useful info and lots to choose from by the looks of it... plus some good value kits I hadn't considered. Does anyone know the approx cost I'd be looking at if I did go for eibach springs and koni shocks/dampers...just the parts?

If you could email me a pic of a 30mm drop on standard 15" alloys that would be great.. thanks.

Cheers

Matt

Sorry guys, I'm too lazy to read the whole thread so don;t know if Spax have been mentioned or not? I was originally considering a set. The add looks great, the engineering sounds superb, they have recommended fitting agents and alife time warranty, they have a German TUV rating and they're reasonably priced. What more could you ask for?

I contacted TSR and Stealth amongst others who told me they;ve stopped dealing with them as they have serious quality control issues and the warranty is pretty difficult to claim on. Another local agent (Torque Developments, I think) told me that they issues with them too !amazed

That said, I'm hearing good things from the likes of Gmax who are really aimed at the budget market. Just goes to show, all that glitters...

How much are H&R coilovers? Does anyone know the approx cost of koni shocks and eibach springs? I assume Eibach springs only lower the car 30mm? This seems small.. does anyone have a pic of their car with standard 15" alloys with a 30mm drop? My email is matt76_2@yahoo.com as I can't see a way to post pics on here.

Ideally I think I'd like my car lowered 35mm as 25 or 30mm seems a bit small (although improving the handling the lowered look would be virtually unnoticable)... I may be wrong though. I think 35mm would make it look lower without being over the top.

Are Apex suspension kits any good? (note they are not Apex"i") They are advertised on Venom. Although it does say "For cars with 71mm inner diameter top coil of front springs"... does the VR6 have this (what are they referring to)?

Venom also have full Koni suspension kits (the dampers and springs) at