101K miles big mileage for a VR6

101 isnt a lot, just look at this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2052936 on VW Vortex. With regular maintenance and oil changes should go on for ages.

If its a late 97 then I believe its less likely the chains will need doing, but being unmechanical I couldn't tell you why! Something to do woth the tensioners being different to pre 97 ones?? I'm sure soemone will set me straight!

Mark

I dont trust VR6 enignes to be honest... Its luck of the draw...

The mechanic who works on my T5 has a VR6 Golf and his engine went pop at 36k... Then his chains needed doing due to seriousssssss rattle at 67k! My mates old VR has chain rattle when he part ex'd it at 82k...

My old corrado vr had 107k with FVWSH and blew a piston/conrod and half a crank shaft out the front of the block! Had only flled the coolant up that morning and checked oil as i was goin on long drive down south! lol

I've heard other horror stories too, but its only a small percentage as opposed to the ones that run mint!

My brother's VR is on 110,000 miles now. It still pulls like a train and recorded 185BHP on the rollers last week (with NO engine mods!).

I remember talking with Vince about the huge variations in reliability & power between similar mileage VR6 engines - apparently they suffer from Monday engine / Friday engine syndrome:

One engine will produce more than 10BHP over standard and go on to 250k miles with no major problems, while another will be nothing but trouble, regardless of how well it's looked after.

Luck of the draw, in other words.