I'm looking at improving my brakes.

I know the front stuff will go on ok if I can get a spacer. Does anyone know what size of spacer I'd need and where I cn get it from? IIRC, it's the same spacer you need to fit the 312mm brakes from other mk4's.

I've not had the rear brakes off my car yet so I'm not sure what the deal is there. I think I've read that the rear wheel bearings are part of the standard VR rear discs. Will this cause problems with getting the R32 rears to fit on easily? Anything else i'd need to do to get them to fit?

Cheers for any advice.

think the rear set up is completely different tbh the front is simmilar but again quite a few differences, it would probably be just as effective to fit uprated discs and pads imo and if you only have 280mm brakes go to the later 288mm set up it would be more cost effective and you know it will work properly you dont want to compromise when it comes to being able to stop!!!!!

the problem with the r32 setup is that the calipers are wayy fatter, not just bigger discs, if you look at the inside of a standard r32 wheel it has a massive dished shape to the spokes. and it would be difficult to fit these under most 17s.

its easier to go for the 312mm audi setup although id love the r32 myself. might give it a go one day. sod it, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

After all this discussion re: 312mm brakes, i was wondering...if you got the caliper spacer kit from ecs tuning, could you just walk into your local audi stealership and buy the balance of the parts, ie: carriers, discs? Would save me some serious postage from US or UK....

With the caliper moved closer to the edge of the wheel, I could then ditch the 3mm wheel spacer and not have to roll my front arches....

I've got the Hi-Spec conversion on my car - 312mm discs at the front, come with bells etc, brackets for the calipers and what not - got drilled/grooved discs at the rear, stainless hoses all round, green stuff all round - Its true, it stops like a bitch! ha ha! When I brake hard it sounds like the landing gear of a plane is being lowered! Also when I brake hard, they are so good at slowing you down, you can slide out of the seat!

Yeah I could do with a harness!

As far as I know it came as 2 discs, bells, pads & caliper mounting brackets as my car is using the standard VR6 calipers I believe - I have ordered new Green Stuff pads since & Golf Vr6 ones sitted straight in - my car also has a big disc conversion on the rear too. The front discs on their own are about