105 Mph & The Police

Hi everyone - just got back from le mans & the ring etc - had a wicked time! My fastest lap of the ring was 9.47 I was getting out of the car shaking!

I was thrashing the arse off my car all weekend - cruising for hours at a time at 120mph+, 5 laps of the ring and didnt have 1 single problem & it was around 100f all weekend! Out of the 17 cars that went on the trip my VR6 and a Clio were the only cars not to have a single problem :D

That was the highlight of the weekend but the low point was driving to over - I over took a car doing between 80 - 90 when a Volvo estate which turned out to be an unmarked police car was on my tail & wasnt at a safe distance ie: right up my backside so I've put my foot down to make some room then they pulled me and done me for averaging 105 Mph between 2 gaps and recorded me for a quarter of a mile and cos it was over 105 Mph I have to go to court! If they wasnt up my arse I wouldnt have been doing it I would have overtaken the car and then pulled in carrying on doing 80 odd which I know is still over the limit but who drives at 70Mph? I didnt say anything at the time just said yes and thank you etc - I wasnt really fussed at the time aslong as I wasnt instantly disqualified as I had a long driving weekend ahead of me but now I have to deal with it! ~:(

Any advice?

over 100 i've been told its a ban. but i would explain the situation. and if they video you. ask for that to be shown in court. to prove you only sped up to give your self a safe distance between you and the vechicle up your arse.

tut tut tut!!! following our "police chat" the other day shame on you!! best course of action...(1) get a soilicitor to represent you. (2) explain to them what you have said ie felt car behind was too close etc. (3) go to court and be the nicest person on the planet! explain your job (need your car etc) and how you have never been in trouble before??? if you have dont tell them that! (4) hope the magistrate hasnt had a bad day!!! if it was just speed and not considered dangerous then maybe? you will get some points and a fine? a short ban is a possibility and dont expect to completely get away with it, if people ive nicked red handed can get away with a burglary scott free ~:( then hey theres hope for you yet young jedi!!

"YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESION" !amazed

I know! Bang go my chances of that now! I wasnt up anyones arse or anything so I wouldnt say I it was dangerous & I wasnt going that much faster than the rest of the traffic but they must have picked me out cos of all the stickers and stuff on the car at the time. Points and a fine would be ideal, I dont expect to get away with it scott free but I dont think it justifys a lengthy ban.

As were meant to be part of the EU I think they should imply the French road rules - 90 Euros for being clocked at 150 is much nicer!

Nick it was on the M20 - wasnt one of your lot was it? :?

err very probably !amazed if it was me??? i would of seen how fast your vr was and the posted the vid on here!!! not really! i am a response driver (erv) not a traffic cop on the motorways although i do dabble there sometimes! but your right i probably know them! kent is a very busy place especially on those motorways m20 m2 etc with all the tunnel and port traffic, its always best to keep a good eye out as most forces use unmarked cars nowdays, bet it was a silver car???? made by a swedish company???? speed limits are there for good reasons (well no actually it was the suez crisis years ago got that imposed! oil again) but accidents can be caused at any speed, speed just creates more carnage and if you had seen some of the photos !ill i have seen then we would all drive at 5mph! best way to stop everyone going too fast would be to add a large spike to the centre of your steering wheel instead of an airbag! same with not wearing seatbelts not a nice state when you come through laminated glass! keep your chin up the wait is not long! we have all done it :? just some more fortunate and havnt been caught. B)

'That was the highlight of the weekend but the low point was driving to over - I over took a car doing between 80 - 90 when a ''VOLVO'' estate which turned out to be an unmarked police car'

Purple Highline Monster, 10 out of 10 for guessing the police car was swedish! No wonder you're a policeman! :P

what year was that? i thought that harold chamberlain imposed the limits to preserve oil/fuel due to the 1956 suez crises when british paras and commandos invaded the region to resecure it due to its vital shipping routes and oil production, but i may be mistaken? i know the m1 did not have a speed limit when it was first opened in 1959 3 years later,i know jaguar amongst others used it as a test track!

(2) explain to them what you have said ie felt car behind was too close etc.

the problem with this is that when you are taught to drive, as is in the highway code. you should slow down to give yourself distance form the cars in front, not create a bigger gap between the cars behind.

but if you word it correctly you may get the benefit of the doubt. just unlucky though. hope it turns out ok for ya mate

you cant make it up! the highway code is a "guide to driving" not a road bible, you have to judge whats around you, if a vehicle drives up my arse i am not going to pull in and let it dangerously overtake on my rear quarter, just wait for a nearside gap & your judgement in the situation and use the power of the vehicle your driving to safely pull out of its way, if you can say "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" before passing an object within the same time as the car ahead of you, you are too close!

As PurpleHighline said, I would recommend taking legal representation. I was clocked doing 105 in a 50 which is a HUGE no no! It all started when a feckin motorcyle came shooting up behind me, he was on my tail and I had no where to pull in so I floored it to put some distance between us. I pulled in when I could, he took off and I slowed to around 80. The chap that pulled me over asked why I was speeding, I explained and he said 'ohhhh, racing a motorcyle were we...' I wasn't but he decided I was and that's what went on his statement of facts. He also said he was doing me for 95mph. I received my summons 5 months later which stated 105mph and his attached statement mentioned racing a motorcylce. I sh*t myself and thought 'dangerous driving'! Consulted Prycewoodrow solicitors who did the biz in court. No mention of 105, somehow their statement read 95mph and no mention of racing either, which was right, because I bloody wasn't! Anyway, got 6 points and a fine. I was told to expect a ban as I was doing 45 over the limit. What a result! Whatever you do mate, hope it works out for the best :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...