HOW MANY EXTRA BHP AND TORQUE FROM SCHRICK VSR INLET MANIFOLD?

• 2 weeks later...

it gives a bloody great shove 3k-4k rpm it feels like a small turbo!!

That's probably the best way to describe it! But with that turbo like push comes a turbo diesel like 'wall' at 4000rpm as the flap opens and then it should pick up again....shows a little trough on the torque curve, but it's not that noticable in some cars.

• 9 months later...

tbh, without sounding patronising in any way, the vr6 in general is a big gold bar to tune for more power whatever you do to it! there is no easy/cheap way of extracting loadsa power from these engines. the vgi method, tho expensive is a tried and tested variety, as is a charger or a larger capacity bottom end, but none of these mods are either cheap, without there own problems, or totally reliable long term! there is , however, one point to remember, the noise from the vr engine, and any of the mods mentioned adds to the cacophony of chaos to pedestrians ears you could wish for! one aspect of mine that , despite recent downturns to my enthusiasm to continue, keeps my mind away from the temptation of 1.8t powered machinery!

I'm very pleased with the VGI, probably best used in combination with a remap to suit.

Mine, with only an exhaust, induction kit, Schrick and AMD remap produces 209bhp and 210lb/ft according to the RR graphs.

On the road it changes the engine making it a lot more tractable and it feels very "factory" which is what I wanted. No flatspot here at 4000rpm either, probably ironed out with the remap.

The principal of the VGI though is not really cfm flow, it's about it generating positive air pressure on the inlet side. This helps air push into the cylinders more effectively when they open whereas a cfm design reduces drag alowing the cylinder to suck air in with less restriction.

On light throttle and normal driving it behaves very nicely.

The VGI is based on the original design by VW/pierburg called the VSR and were it not for cost, would have been standard equipment on the engine. Therefore as far as tuning vs reliability goes, it's very minimal risk.

Well you'll see something but it's probably less relevant with a Schrick VGI or VW/pierburg VSR than it is with a standard.

Also depends on whether your engine is OBDC 1 or 2, the 2's IIRC all have larger throttle bodies in the first place, hence why Stealth and others offer a bigger throttle body for the OBDC 1 cars and not the 2's.

The other thing to think about is how you drive - larger throttle bodies are only useful if you run the car at full thottle. If you don't drive like that much there's no benefit.