?? Might sound a daft question , yes they say you get what you pay for , but coming from a jap back ground , I'm amazed at the price difference in coilovers , in say the Scoob world you have your run of the mill Bc coilovers about 600 quid up to say full on board cusco set up about 2 grand , I'm looking at coil overs for the wenches raddo not after anything great as she drives like miss daisy , just needing them for the car set up as running a lot of camber with hub centric spacers shim plates etc , are the 600 plus sets justifiable ?? Or will a 200 quid set do me ? Thoughts please folks !!!

With a £200 set of coilies you'll get a years warranty and probably a dubious ride quality. Some people absolutely swear by the cheaper sets and to be fair they do the job.

If you stretch a bit further you can get AP's which is what I was going to buy for my golf. They're approx £360-£400 a set, have a years warranty although some people say the ride is too harsh with these, vmaxx are a similar price with a years warranty.

If you can afford to, get some damping adjustable ones, at least you can decide how stiff you want to run them.

I have Spax rsx fitted and I find them ok.

Bc ain't the best though mate there ok but not brilliant , I had a cracking set of cusco on my type r version 6 , they were amazing , , and it's not the drop I'm looking for , but more of a decent geometry set up , with running the 8.5 width rear wheel I will be wanting it set up right so I don't shag the rear arches , hence why the shim plates to just tuck the top of the wheel in slightly

If you want decent ride quailty all you need to do is swap the springs for the correct rated ones for your car. You can also get different length as well for different ride heights. So you need to corrected rated spring for that ride height.

e.g. As standard golf mk3 1.4L come with a totally different rated springs, to a VR6 with a much heavier front end, and much high rated springs.

Yet when you buy aftermarket cheaper suspension most come with the same rated spring, wether your fitting it to a 1.4L or a VR6.

So the incorrect rated spring is offten used. Sometimes the incorrect length is also use depending on ride height.

So a cheap set can be upgraded to the correct spring set up and will handle much better.

Look at rally cars, they use loads of different rated spring for different surfaces. Also go on Rally design website and look how many different rated springs they sell.

I know you get adjustable dampers and rebound rates. Which help the tyre stay in contact better but that another avenu we can talk about at another time lol.

So in my eyes it's mainly about having the correct rated spring on the shaft that will make most differance. Same as the rally teams do, same as BTCC do, same as most motor sports.

I will look up the VR6 rated spring when I have abit more time and post it up.

Edited by c00k
  • 2 months later...

I put a set of TA Technics on mine, they cost me about £150 for the set and I thought it was a bad idea, however since I wasn't sure on the car at the time, I thought better of chucking tons of cash at it just in case, I only just bought it and was not sure if we would get along (I now love the car despite it needing loads of work)

I ordered poly bushes for fronts and rear as the old rubbers were totally wrecked, the car has been abandoned really. 

When the shocks came I tried to understand the German instructions and follow the guides but the car felt terrible to drive on the first run.

I stripped it about 5 times until I came up with my own measurements and now it's really nice to drive on those shocks, it feels similar to my WRX on ride comfort, just need to get the wheel alignment right and fit the camber bolts.

So cheap can be good but do need some tinkering.

The first day I got the VR and gave it a bath.
1st%20wash_zpsdaumqz5m.jpg

Technics Shocks fitted with polys.
shock_zpsd2wctcnc.jpg