Decided to sell the big slipper and get back into a dub. Had a few models in mind but settled for my old favourite, the VR6! Wanted a low mileage one that wasn't tampered with so I could ruin it myself. I replied to an advert and a road trip to Aberdeen was on with my good friend the Jamie of Peacocke! On arrival the owner met us and drove his car out of the garage into the daylight, holy moly I was shocked.........every panel was in poor condition with scratches, stone chips and touch up paint! Within five minutes I said to Jamie I wasn't interested in buying the car for the price it was advertised at. We started it up and it had a wee misfire with some arcing at the coil pack. The test drive was not enjoyable either, hesitant under load etc. So instead of doing what any sensible fool would have I struck a deal and bought it. I was now panicking about getting it back home the 120miles! Long story short I made it home and parked it up still thinking what the hell have I bought! No tax, no mot, paintwork that's poorly and drives like a bag of spanners! Why did I buy it you ask...........underside is superb, no rot or rust, very low mileage and only a couple of owners! Regardsless of condition I always run my cars through the paint shop to get them looking better so that's what will happen here. Still not sure what my big plans are but to start with I'm going to be getting a hefty first bill from the garage.........

Serp belt and water pump

Full brakes, discs, pads and abs sensors all round

Suspension

Sort engine problems

Any mechanical work that's required will be done

MOT.

Once I've got it running sweet then ill decide what's happening as regards the modifying or leaving as a standardish car!

As per usual ill keep this updated with progress and photos but don't expect things turning around too quick as there is plenty of work to be done before the looks will change!

With all that said I'm over the moon to be back in a MK3 VR6, ill leave ya with this.........

null_zps149c280d.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gave the auld heap a run out to the SVAG show on Sunday.....

it's time for a suspension upgrade, Airlift with V2 management! Here are some progress snaps from today.......... Mulberry tank, cheers Mikey! Install, cheers Doug's! While it's in getting work

I usually write a few lines of rubbish but tonight I'll let the photos do the talking....... At Dubshed it's first outing it took the looooosers prize in the rotten old mk3 golf category!!!!

Welcome back to the fold mate, sounds like could just be a simple fix if its just the coil pack, but also a sensible list of other parts to replace too, hopefully it will fly though. I'd imagine paintwork would benefit from a good mopping, sounds like they might have had a bad wash routine!

It's a good feeling getting behind the wheel again ;)

Least it's solid underneath

Yeah cheers dude, its spot on in all the right areas! Just dropped it off at the MOT station so they will get it running sweet once again! TBH I'm swaying towards a full respray as I fancy keeping this a while and want to build it proper tidy, nothing too fancy just make it live again!

Oh and its great owning another VR6! ;)

Just collected it from the garage, after a bit of work we have a legit MOT!

Not all the work was required for MOT but just wanted this project to start well............

New coil pack

New discs and pads all round

New HT leads

New spark plugs

Oil and filter service

New wiper blades

Abs fault fixed

Airbag fault fixed

Wooden steering wheel fitted

New locking wheel nuts

MOT

So now the car drives and stops perfect! :biggrin: Tomorrow I will buy some tax for it and then next move is to transfer my M9X VW plate onto it!

Really looking forward to starting the good stuff now that the basics are sorted!

No photos as yet but let's face it nothing has changed with the looks!!!

• 1 month later...

Well progress has been made...........kind of! On Friday I took it to big Stew (Lothians Car Care Bodyshop) to have a chat about modifying and restoring the car. I have purchased a few bits n bobs from him that we're fitted to his smoothed green vr6! After a longgggg while of chatting (sorry big fella) the plan was in place and hands were shook on a deal. So the car will be dropped off at the start of September and will be finished when Stew says it is.

Collecting parts the now......

null_zps69e4e112.jpg

null_zps8387cdbc.jpg

null_zpsea117bda.jpg

null_zps0f8cc9e7.jpg

Ordered a new cat back ss milltek exhaust from Awesome GTI.

New OG Votex black floor mats.

Some US bits n bobs!

This evening I made a call to the trimmers and hopefully can make it over to their unit tomorrow again to discuss the plans and do a deal on a retrim! I will be going for all seats and door cards I think, originally I was just going to trim the new front recaros to match the rest but want newness all round me! Bit of a shame as the og Mullbery is in very good condition and I'm just ruining an og car! Lol

I'm not going to update this as often as I usually do but I will post now n again with wee photos to keep it going!

null_zpsa643e70c.jpg

null_zpsd0cb0e29.jpg

null_zps0c5947df.jpg

null_zps347d3e76.jpg

I heard you were buying a Porsche?!! :P

Lol nope but the money I'm spending on this vr6 I could have a very nice 911 996 sitting on my driveway! Just some figures it's costing........

Car £1500

Mot £900

Rims £300

Coils £600

Exhaust £400

Panels £400

Paint £2000

Interior £1600

That's just the start too, I've not even started on the engine or bay! Why o why do I waste all this money on a mk3 golf that will still only be worth £2k!!!!!!

So story so far, car is sitting at the bodyshop waiting to get the full hit and my interior is sitting at the trimmers waiting on the materials getting delivered!

Going for black leather bolsters and Pride of Scotland Tartan inserts..................

null_zpsa76bab02.jpg

Got another delivery last week too, S/S cat back Milltek...............

null_zps80fdab46.jpg

null_zpscbb43e96.jpg

Also bought some US side markers for my front bumper, black sunvisors and black grab handles that means the headliner will need to be retrimmed in black at some point!

• 4 weeks later...

It's in the Bodyshop stripped ready to start the paintwork, hopefully Dougie Trix will be doing the engine bay very soon to allow the painter to move on!

Interior is half done and should be finished for the weekend or early next week.

Wheels are in the powdercoaters, getting him to do 2 different shades of grey and ill hold them against the car to see what one I prefer.

I'm still buying bits n bobs too, US Center console arrived today as well as light protecter a and a few other parts.

As soon as things are underway ill get photos up! ;-)

Cheers fella.......

Sent from my iPhone using mind waves!