Removing Swirl Marks

Whats the best stuff to use for removing swirl marks?

Ive looked on the meguiers site and noticed 2 products:

Scratch X

Quik clay detailing system?

I need to do the whole car so which one (or other product) do you recommend??

Cheers :-)

i couldnt find ne maguires in ne of the local shops today so i just bout some auto glym the block on i think its deep gloss shine.the bloke in thye shop said maguires is all the same just in diff bottles. lol i also have a home gold class but just for swirls and things i think this auto glym is going to work. look up swissols cars waxes and have a heart attack on there prices lol must be good.

I had loads of swirl marks and dead paint on mine when I got it so went to Halfords and bought some Autoglym Paint Renovator and Super Resin Polish and it bought it all up nicely! Once its warm and sunny I might invest in some Meguiars for the Summer if it will make that much difference.

Yeah ive got shit loads of swirl marks on mine- tried T Cut a while ago but its too fine- id be there forever by hand..... ive just bought the Meguiars clay bar stuff on the net. So ill try that first and if that fails i might try the G6 rubbing compound as SankysVR6 seems to have used it with good results... Looking in Auto Express this week theyve done a huge group test on waxes and polishes- some very interesting results - especially one called Rain Guard - got 5 out of 5 and only 5 quid!!! Also Turtle Way Gloss Guard seems pretty shit hot too....

if you do use G6 rubbing compound don't use neat unless youv'e got big arms try it with damp cloth, it spreads a lot easier and not as abbrasive.and if your going to be using machine to do it try using G3 instead.

ClayBar

I found you need a nack using the claybar and lube.it's case of applying the right amount of lube not to much and not to little.but it does feel smoth after it's been applied same as the rubbing compound.

I'ts a lot work to do but once it done it makes waxing the a breeze !amazed for months

i get my merguirs stuff from www.speeding.co.uk as it's all free delivery

Clay bar takes surface contaminants off the surface of the paint so wont remove swirl marks (it does make your paint feel sooo smooth though!)

A decent polish will help with swirl marks but I would say G3 is a bit harsh and certainly wouldnt go using anything like G3 with a machine unless you know what you're doing as you'll soon end up with no paint!

theres lots of tips here http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html

• 11 months later...

you got a black car warren! swirl marks are easier to see, i just got a clay bar too,and i i found the meguiars nxt polish in the tin as opposed to spray type really lessens the appearance of any blemishes, once i clay bar mine and re-polish it i think it will look the dandlees! meguiars is really good gear, the 2 stage leather treatment is fantastic aswell, cleaner and then feeder, makes it looks like new

I asked the guy from "The Polishing Company" about removing swirl marks at Ultimate Dubs.

He recommended this:

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/sonussfx1restore.html

Then this to poilsh up afterwards:

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/sonussfx3finishp.html

and P21S Carnuba was to finish off.

He showed me a Mk1 bonnet that it had been used on and the swirling was much reduced.

What I need to know is how to stop the swirl marks appearing in the first place. I'm told cleaning with a sponge causes them. What should I be cleaning my paintwork with? Recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

May get a polisher as well Pete- but i know youve got to be careful with those things- can take the paint/ lacquer off especially on edges and the like...

Yes be careful with them Warren. I know how easily accidents happen with these things :(

I asked the guy from "The Polishing Company" about removing swirl marks at Ultimate Dubs.

He recommended this:

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/sonussfx1restore.html

Then this to poilsh up afterwards:

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/sonussfx3finishp.html

and P21S Carnuba was to finish off.

He showed me a Mk1 bonnet that it had been used on and the swirling was much reduced.

What I need to know is how to stop the swirl marks appearing in the first place. I'm told cleaning with a sponge causes them. What should I be cleaning my paintwork with? Recommendations?

i tried those products and it made little difference :(

you can't avoid swirl marks, unless you never wash the car!!! but you can reduce the chances by never polishing or applying wax in circles, always left to right and up and down. likewise with sponges (a wash mitt is preferable to a sponge) try and wash left to right.

start with the roof then work downwards around the car so the last bits you do are ALL the cills.

hiding swirl marks i found the best product is maguires tech wax ;)