The right van?

Hi guys,

Not sure what section this should go in, so here will do :) Basically, my business is picking up pretty sharpish now, and will be looking to expand into a van in the new year (anyone who works out of a car doing what I do will understand), so my thoughts immediately turned to the VW transporter, I know these can be a tad expensive, but I know with VW they will be rock and thats what I need for a daily work van.

So basically, what are peoples experiences with the transporter if you own / did own one? or any recommendations for a similar sized van? I dont need anything bigger really, it will just be a waste to be honest. Obviously wants to be economical, (I cover about 50+ miles a day) but with a decent bit of go as well.

I know this isnt the Van Owners club, but to be honest, you guys are the most down to earth, helpful guys on the web I've met! (Not attacking E38 in any way ;))

Any help will be great,

Cheers, dave

I aint sure if this will help much but the only advice i can give you on this is DO NOT buy a fiat scudo! lol

Haha I've had my fair share of fiats, and I've learnt my lesson!

I would like a tranny, but to be honest I dont need the space, would just seem like overkill to be honest. maybe one of those mini transits I've seen driving around now, but to new for my budget!

You are spot on the -Transporter is the way forwards... However, if you're starting up then this time I would do it the other way and find the deal to match your budget...

Do not buy Iveco... they will kill you!!!!

Do not buy Italian or French!!!! they will break.

That leaves

the old faithfuls... Vauxhall/Ford/Merc/VW

If you can... now is a good time to approach a dealer and do a deal as they are looking for numbers to round the year off with... (if going new/nearly new). Different dealers at different levels so worth the time and effort... look out for their charts on the wall showing who's doing well and aim for the one not!

Leasing is an option that way there are no surprises and big bills as warranty covers everyting but the basics... (Also depending how your business is running may be a better tax benefit).

Vauxhall are doing good deals. We just kitted our engineers out with them (movano or somink).. not the best but they'll do...

Merc (my mate) have just set up a nationwide package of van dealerships. SO are keen to do deals.

Ford.. no idea on deals at the moment

VW no idea on deals at the moment

One final thought... as your milage is low. Dont be afraid of bigger engined high milers with a full history and if that is the case VW/Merc are the only way forwards remember 100k is nothing for a van! Again though not sure which benefits your tax setup the best..

Good luck and keep the business going.. :D

ive just bought a t4 with a full camper conversion,it has the 1.9 td in it,its reliable but not the quickest and hence its not as economical as the 2.5,service history is a must,particularly the usual cam belt and water pump also on the 2.5,they are good for 2-300 k if looked after but he 2.5 is dearer to buy,i love mine now,lot different than the vr obviously but its a camper

What I do for a living.. hmm I'm technically self employed as a window cleaner, but I also work part time as a tree surgeon and as a painter / decorator (This is why I can never come to meets!)

To be honest Im not really ready to buy from a dealer, possibly maybe swayed if the perfect used van came up for the right price.

Engine wise, looking around the 2.0 litre range, not fussed either petrol or diseasal, because being only 19 insurance is already going to be ridiculous, (I also own and run 3 other cars, plus my project car)

Thanks for the info guys, definitely food for thought, will be a while before I commit though.

We have a T5, caddy and transit at work, the caddy is a good little van, just like driving a car but limited space, the T5 is great as its quick compared to the tranist and so much more comfy to ride in, not quite as much room though. They are expensive to buy. With me driving around last week in the T5 I filled it up with £120 of diesel and got just over 500 miles out of that, don't know if that's good or bad?

I used to have a T4 transporter and loved that, had done over 200k when I sold it and was still going strong!

Just my thoughts :)

I agree with Rod on this one fella! Ive had most vans and currently have 2 mk2 golf vans one on 70k and one on 250k an astra 1.7 tdi on 165k and gets 45mpg which had been excellent, a renault traffic 1.9 tdi 6 speed is great on a run gets 30-38mpg and eats brakes but is my second from new and i feel is great value for money although in unsure of potential over 100k as chop in before!

55 reg caddy sdi, 130k, v slow, and had loads of probs from day 1, good mpg though..

Transit lwb hightop 53reg 2,5 tdi, 177k, standard ford lock issue but much better than early ford vans, poor mph at 18-25

My l200 which is new shape on 56 plate, 2.5 tdi, 32 mpg, had head problem but generally very good. 4 seats, 4wd, and £130 / year tax!! Plus u can pick them up under 5k now.

My t5 was great but not big enough, best to go for the 2.5 but pricey! They do hold their value tho..

As ur a window cleaner id think ud need to think about ladders and therefore start with astra van or renault as best value for money.. But the right one and ull get ur money back easy.. Most vans will sit around 2k all day if tidy and maintained!! Best short term solution and then go for nice t5 when the bank allows ;)

dave if ya only cleaning bungalows ya want to try one ov these booties' date='

plenty ov room for ya step ladders mate

[img']http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_files/public/1322161943_10922_FT461630_ttesh1.jpg'>http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_files/public/1322161943_10922_FT461630_ttesh1.jpg

[img:width=250&height=185]http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_files/public/

1322161943_10922_FT461630_ttesh2.jpg

1322161943_10922_FT461630_ttesh3.jpg

Beast! lol i wish i did bungalows, unfortunately its mostly hotels /

complexes round here, heres a pic of what we did last week!

1322173042_12129_FT461630_img358_.jpg

Front and back!