Been watching way too much Motorsport of late... I always see dry ice used to be packed around F1 rad's etc..

My question is has anyone tried using it in a enclosed air box assembly so that the airfliter draws in cold air across the maff into the intake ??? And potentially some extra BHP !! ??

What do we think ?

Mike

i know people use just ICE in charge coolers but what your thinking not sure

same, or water solution intercooler sprays etc, have put blocks of ice on my old top mount intercooler before, but never tried to cool air going into an NA intake other than cold air feed etc. NOS kinda gives the same effect ;)

It's a crazy idea but simple... the actual physics should work and i don't see why it couldn't be used in conjunction with Nos or a charge cooler... and it should work well with Turbo to help lower temps and increase boost ???

Well JDM STI scoobs they come with intercooler spray as standard, pretty widely used concept really, cooling intake temps, charge temps etc.

Not sure how well it would work with dry ice and really cold temps like that, kinda hard for all the electronics to compute and keep safe etc maybe?, in my mind quite hard to keep consistant gains maybe?, just good for a launch boost or strip run? :).

Idea was to fab up a troff that the RAM air filter sits in that is insulated with kingsspan wall insulation and the dry ice sits in a slab under the filter ...

It was a simplified idea that wouldn't require me to get the aqua mist type thing going ,,, ghetto performance lol...

You'd need to put the dry ice into some kind of sealed container that the air intake kind sucks around, if that makes sense?!

I'd love to know if a regular A/C system is powerful enough to chill boosted air. I have a feeling it isn't. How about a truck A/C system? LOL!

You'd need to put the dry ice into some kind of sealed container that the air intake kind sucks around' date=' if that makes sense?!

I'd love to know if a regular A/C system is powerful enough to chill boosted air. I have a feeling it isn't. How about a truck A/C system? LOL!

[/quote']

Only one way to find out!

I have a plan then ... you can buy slices of dry ice if i fab up a box with hollow sides and drop the ice between thesen the air is drawn through the box opening and chilled by the sides of the bo then on to the RAM air filter...

• 2 weeks later...

We use dry ice at work all the time - I think it's a great idea! Some sort of heat exchanger is a must though, I reckon the best bet would be to modify the top of a standard airbox presenting a cold surface to the air coming out the filter. A handy hint is to use dry ice slush - mix the pelleted dry ice with a solvent (meths works well), increases the conduction of heat to the ice. Bit of a fire hazard though... best to have a good breather for the dry ice reservior. One problem you will have is the water freezing out of the air onto the cold surface insulating it - from -78 degrees to 0 degrees :( Will have to chip it off after a few drag runs!!!

If you do knock up a box I'd love to see some photos!

As soon as i can i will get some Aluminium sheet ... i plan to double wall the side and base on the outter section use some kingspan wall insulation foam block then the 2nd wall pocket houses the dry ice the cold surface of the metal cools the air flowing into the filter ...