Some say the Golf VR6 is slow

Reading many reviews etc on the net since I have had my OBDII VR6 and some have put down stuff like 'Running costs are stupidly high for the performance' and other reviews alike. I have owned many performance cars over the past 20 years and I think the performance and running costs are good. My performance is very very good on my VR.....She will pull happily to 150mph (Tried it once on a long private road!) Saying this I have never been in another VR and I am sure mine is very fast. She has a sull s/s exhaust, de-cat, modified airbox (direct feed) and run only on Shell V-Power. I average 22mpg around town and a tad over 30mpg on a run.

Many have said UK spec Scooby's are a better choice as they cost the same to run but with better performance. A friend of mine has a Jap import Scooby and it costs the earth in petrol and also simple parts like brake pads, discs etc also cost silly amounts.

I would like to try my VR against a UK spec Scoob....Obviously on a private road! Also Civic Type R's, I think my VR would win.

What is the general view on here regarding VR's performance and running costs....and is a VR faster than a Civic Type R....Sounding like I am 18 again asking that question!?!?!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is interesting mate, I would have thought a VR should have been able to take the Type R?

I am sure something has been done to my VR as on full throttle in the wet she started spinning the tyres at 80mph and this is with Toyo's on. A full s/s exhaust, de-cat and direct feed modified airbox cant produce that many horses.....or can it?!?!

I can tell you that vs a Clio 172 there's pretty much nothing in it cos my brother has one and it's the first thing we did, but due to the torque the vr feels like it's going quicker

In regard to the scooby subject, I really doubt that youd get much better economy and the insurance would be way more cos they are such a high grouping and high risk category

i owned the type R and it is much quicker off the mark and more agile,,, but you have to be in the right gear otherwise it is pants at motorway speeds..

horses for courses mate... and I was still only getting 30mpg outta the civic..

Fit a charger to the VR and then the car feels like it shoulda come out the factory... trust us!!!

standerd uk scoob is only 215 bhp but will launch better and go through the bends at silly speeds compaired to a vr fuel about the same, vr may be a little better .

now sti scoob as you an't even gonna see it well maybe the rear lights for a few seconds.

you also gotta think that with a exhuste and boost controler you can get 300- 320 very easy from the scoob.

uk scoob group 17 ins (in the old groups) not sure on the vr but i know the 4mo is the same.

I can tell you that vs a Clio 172 there's pretty much nothing in it cos my brother has one and it's the first thing we did' date=' but due to the torque the vr feels like it's going quicker

In regard to the scooby subject, I really doubt that youd get much better economy and the insurance would be way more cos they are such a high grouping and high risk category

[/quote']

I called my insurance company up and got a quote for a UK Scooby just for fun.......Well I pay 342.78p a year fully comp on my VR and for the Scooby.....£627.11!!

Interesting to some of the replies here.....I must get mine on a rolling road and also, I never knew Clio 172's were that fast.

As for a charger....Hmmm now there sounds a plan for early next year!!

I broke my Scooby and bought my vr. I had a vr 5 years ago and fancied another. My scoob was a 10 sec road car that I had alot of money in. Don't get me wrong it was very very good fun, but on normal roads very over powered and unusable. The vr is far more fun as you can push it harder and feel more involved as your not wondering if it's going to bite you in the arse like the scoob sometimes felt like it was gunna do.

I broke my Scooby and bought my vr. I had a vr 5 years ago and fancied another. My scoob was a 10 sec road car that I had alot of money in. Don't get me wrong it was very very good fun' date=' but on normal roads very over powered and unusable. The vr is far more fun as you can push it harder and feel more involved as your not wondering if it's going to bite you in the arse like the scoob sometimes felt like it was gunna do.

[/quote']

completely agree mate, almost exactly the same story as mine :), the vr cant really be called slow imo, they pull like a train but lets face it they are a little lardy, and really not what i call a 'quick' car, and at around 160 bhp they ent gonna be at that weight :), my scoob used to bite me on the arse bad....., but my vr is lovely, and the sound is great, and more wodely accepted ;), although it may be a bit more of a handful after tomorrow ).

I was up at the pod last weekend with a few friends. Attended the RWYB day on the saturday and then the VW/Audi event on the Sunday.

Both my mates were in Civic Type Rs. Quickest 1/4 mile for them was 15.25s.

Seen a few standard VRs go and were getting 15.8 and 16.2 and then some way over.

It is horses for courses. VR does feel sluggish and heavy compared to the Type Rs but it's still a good car in my opinion.

My little.input on this, last year I went to Shakespeare's Count Raceway with a mate on mine in his Mini Cooper S with increase boost etc running 220bhp. I never actually went up against him, but in the whole day out of 5 runs he was only .3 of a second faster..

Anyway, my car was standard last year, with just an exhaust and filter, dyno'd at 180bhp and 180ft lbs of torque, the last run of the day, I went up against a prodrive 340 impreza. Now with the bhp difference, he was obviously going to leave me standing, but over the 1/4 mile, he was 0.9 seconds faster, which isn't exactly leaving me standing..

But what you really want to see is a video to show the gap... So

Enjoy

Here's another proof video, of me vs a works mini cooper S with 240bhp, we got talking to him as my mate had his mini.. my time on this was a 15.1, which was identical to his time, but he never improved, and I finished the day with a 14.7 (which was vs impreza)

As you can see he never comes past, even with 60bhp more and fully stripped out..

That is impressive Russ.....Top vids.

I must get mine on the rollers. I have seen 151mph on the GPS, 160mph speedo reading (Autobahn testings!) But it is how quick it gets there. Reading on here with some of the members with chargers or a Turbo on their VR, well that must be an experience!

prodrive scoob an't 340 unless he had done other work.

and imho in 1/4 mile he was pulling away from you quite quickly but as you say not as much as you would think, now throw in a damp wet road and a few bends and have a go lol lol.

also fooked if i would be useing a road scoob on the strip as 5 good hard lanches and bye bye clutch unless you got good uprated set up,

not knocking the vr's as i do think the are a very nice engine and one of the best motors for long distance motering but for "fun" much rather have a jap turbo car.

Cheers Mastiff.. they were taken on a Kodak zi6 camera, held to the screen in a phone charger, with a sponge between that and the dash to stop it vibrating haha.

And I'm very unsure of impreza's spec, you can't see it in the video as we go back down the fire road, but on the boot there was a 340 sticker, and prodrive on the sides. I just presume it was 340, as can't see what 340 could represent, and thought about the evo's way of calling their fq series. But yea, I could be massively wrong. And I agree that in a 1/4 mile, its a pretty big gap, but not as much as I'd have thought.

well the prodrive is just a uprated ecu and brakes, suspenion set up normaly which takes them to around 260-280.unless it was a jdm car and he got them to work on it so then yes it well maybe 340.

you may well find also that you are very good on a strip and he was crap you just never know mate.

haveing had 4 scoobs i'm not saying that they are the best car but a long shot as like all cars they have lots of faults but strip work and road use are two totaly diffrent driveing styles.