Cabrio project - VR6 3.5 street built

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then alots happened since last time..... here we go: straight out copy n pasting ;)

went up bodyshop today and started the dreaded rub down of the orange!!!! i'm still in 2 minds as to what color to paint the engine bay.... half saying cream half saying match the shell....

the reason i'm going for the same color as the shall and not cream is because, i have started to paint things already in the engine. and they look good and if i spray the engine bay cream... it wont match the color of the engine parts/gearbox etc.....

so, i'm really thinking spray the bay the same color as the car.... and with the cream touches (like the gearbox and alternator etc etc) i reckon it will look really good under there..... OPINIONS ON THE ABOVE PLEASE?!?!?!?!

PICS NE WAY:

rubbed down and some filler added lol

IMG-20111219-00578.jpg

and gearbox with 1st coat...

IMG-20111230-00580.jpg

getting all the bits ready for paint tomorrow... FINALLY. Never doin this sh1teeeee again.

polo stubby mirrors sorted:

IMG-20120101-00587.jpg

Vento bonnet with washer jets smoothed:

IMG-20120101-00586.jpg

wings sorted, welding up the indicater holes tomorrow:

IMG-20120101-00584.jpg

and got the bay all rubbed down.

IMG-20120101-00583.jpg

PS DECIDED TO GO FOR THE SAME COLOR AS THE HSELL TO PAINT THE BAY:

Well i collected my custom PAS lines and also my custom Clutch line tonight.

P1030017.jpg

so, when the car's back i can start to get the lines all fitted up and back together :)so happy with the quality of these parts, They have used my OE PAS fittings to make life easier for me, The clutch line however is completly custom. No more rusty PAS pipes or corroded clutch line :)

well then guys, i have taken some pics today :)

Fianlly setteled on a color for the engine bay......

P1030018.jpg

P1030020.jpg

Also fitted my polo stubby mirrors.... not very well but a bit more "bodgin" and she'll be in there :D Pretty impressed with these, i love them...

P1040022.jpg

P1040023.jpg

also whilst i was there couldn't help to "faff" around and had a play with my polo 6n2 delocked door handles.....

P1040025.jpg

P1040027.jpg

And a shot with my stubby also fitted :)

P1040028.jpg

Wet flatting tomorrow.... joy :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

so, got cracking on painting and rebuild the engine today so i can finally drop it back in where it belongs and get a feel for the "overall" picture!

so, firstly, this is what i done the other day, painted the master cylinder and fitted my copper brake pipes to my T pieces, these will be located behind my steering gaiter. Also fitted the custom braided clutch line and feed pipe.

P1100030.jpg

so during the build, i decided to paint the head black as well..... just think it will look 10x better rather than having black silver and cream. so here is its first coat along with the tensioner and rear engine mount bracket - note the clean bolts..... why build back an engine and use crappy rusty bolts....? unfortunalty i cant find any bolts small enough to fit the wheels on the water pump and pas pully to make clean.... any heads up?

P1100031.jpg

other randon shizzle being painted.... (gearbox bracket, bracket for the pas pump and alternator etc, oil housing)

P1100032.jpg

gearbox with a 3rd coat on.

P1100033.jpg

engine built up with all the "bolt ons" put back on lol

P1100039.jpg

gearbox built up, again using nice bolts :)

P1100042.jpg

Thats it so far.... up there again tomorrow..... hopefully get the box bolted to the block and get it in the car....

got a bit more progress today....

as said yesterday got the gearbox bolted on

P1110017.jpg

P1110016.jpg

Then i set about fitting my top fill rad and slim line fan.... Wanted it something like this

P1110018.jpg

so drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the plastic, for the locating lugs to go in and a cable tie and she's in there solid... not happyy about using the cable tie of a show car so will look into it further to correct it. But to fit the slim line fan.... a bit of cornish brutality :P:D i drilled 2 holes through the fins of the rad and bolted the fan to the actuall rad itself... fits beautifully.

here it is all built up

P1110019.jpg

tidied up my PAS lines as well...

P1110021.jpg

Also painted the wishbones, PAS rack and passengers drive shaft. not done the drives one as i need a new one. At the same time my cable change was shafted, so had to replace that one, just happens that VW connections were breaking a mk3 golf outside - LLUURRRVVVEEERRRRLLYYYYYY B) MASSIVE THANKS TO THOSE CHAPS!! i got that fitted up today too...

Then fitted my front cross member for putting the front engine mount on looks nice

P1110020.jpg

Just offered it up to see how it looked... happy to be honest :)

so, everything is now on hold until my copper pipes and brake flaring kit turns up so i can start making fresh lines to the front brakes and rear brakes and then, i can finally drop the engine in :)

• 2 weeks later...

just incase someone might be interested:

fitted tail gate struts and polished the wing bolts

P1310010.jpg

fitted washer bottle and plumbed up the pas steering pipes

P1310015.jpg

us spec rad cover fitted n inlet mani painted etc...

P1310016.jpg

P1310009.jpg

P1310008.jpg

wings grill etc all fitted...

P1310014.jpg

P1310013.jpg

snorted

• 4 weeks later...

well got it all up and running the other day and ran into some petty problems....

firstly pissing out PAS fluid -so ordered a few parts to get that sorted....

rad is leaking bottom corner soi need a new one grrrrrrrrrrr

brake lines are stil leaking the gayers

idling at 2.5/3k

missing - sounds like a lawn mower

i have also by passed the aux water pump, ive done the remainder of the wiring.

i need to re-wire my AFM/MAFF meter as i think thats why it'sidling at 2.5k need to get a set of leads and also get a new coil pack :)

and then back up body shop to get the things i'm not happy with sorted!

Good work pal, no conversions is without its problems :) but let me know how you get on with the maf wiring as mines started to idle around 2k and is as jerky as anything. I have noticed that one wire has started to melt off of the exhaust. Which could be my issue. :(

Good work pal' date=' no conversions is without its problems :) but let me know how you get on with the maf wiring as mines started to idle around 2k and is as jerky as anything. I have noticed that one wire has started to melt off of the exhaust. Which could be my issue. :(

[/quote']

probably your lambda mate