• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Antera 309 - I saw your car in the Strictly Dubs workshop when I was down there fitting my coilovers, was looking good 1/2 way through, so good infact that my 2l 8valve is going in to Strictly Dubs tomorrow for the VR treatment! How's the conversion holding up?

I agreed with Simon in advance that I would do the post-conversion shakedown and any minor repairs necessary, and this has certainly been keeping me busy....

- The seals went on the coolant expansion tank resulting in sudden coolant loss. Tank replaced, coolant system flushed and refilled...

- Ticking noise from the engine bay turned out to be an exhaust leak. Apparently the manifold-to-downpipe gasket and retaining nuts must be replaced whenver they are disturbed (i.e. during engine removal/refitting). This worth remembering for your conversion.

- My nice red/blue Mk4 Cabrio instrument cluster doesn't work properly with the VR6 engine. The speedo, fuel and temp gauges are OK, but the rev counter reads too high, as it was designed for a 4-cylinder engine. I've got a piece of equipment on order from the US that should convert the Tacho signal from the ECU for me. Fingers crossed....

- Head gasket is leaking oil a bit from the left hand side of the engine. This is gonna need replacing soon. I have a larger-bore Corrado throttle body to go on at the same time though, and it will be a good opportunity top give the engine bay a much neaded clean!!

Considering the amount of parts that were swapped out to do the conversion, it's not bad at all.

And it goes like stink - 130mph with the roof down is an experience, I'll tell ya!!! 8)

Looking really nice m8- its coming on really well especially with the creame leather, lights, and VR6 install- bet it sound great with the VR6 on full chat with theroof down! Any plans to brace it up a bit? Do you get scuttle shake with the bigger lump or is it fairly stiff as standard??

If anything there seems to be less scuttle shake now than when it was running the 1.8. Perhaps the heavier lump "anchors it down" a little bit.

A front strut brace is on my shopping list though, and there is also a cabrio-specific centre brace that goes behind the front seats along the floor which stiffens things up no end. Still looking for a UK supplier for these....

The BPC Chassis brace is featured on this site:

cabrios20m.com

(first car)

I have NO idea where to buy this item from, although I'm pretty sure it's only available in the US. You would need to contact Rob, the owner of that car (rob@cabrios.20m.com). If you do, please let me know!!!!

[ Edited Sat Apr 30 2005, 11:38PM ]

i dont think practical is the first thing we thought of with cabrio vr6's, lol. for one theres no space for friends in the back, tiny little opening for the boot space, and both running forced induction (eventually) so the fuel consumption is out of the window too. so why not add a brace in the most awkward position ever, lol. looks wierd.

if i got my mates in the car they would just use it as a shoe scraper.

i will send the guy an email and talk to a few people in the states about it. will deffo be a dificult one to find as i dont know if midnight are still trading.

i dont think the rev counter will work on the 4 cylinder clocks as it reads a different voltage output, but swapping the vr6 ones in should work ok. i think nick is getting some sort of converter from the states so well see how that works out.

Evening

Will the 140 clocks work then? I would love to use them but i need 160 ones as its a different engine.

Oh' date=' Ive also got a MK4 wheel to go on mine too. Found a MK3.5 being broken :D [/quote']

I finally got my Mk3.5 Cabby clocks to work 100% with the VR6 engine. It took a lot of research and a fair bit of dosh, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to do it!!

Cue pic of fitted instrument cluster & dash...

clocks1.jpg

dash1.jpg

The Speedo works fine with no modification. Yes it only goes up to 140mph, but how often do you go this fast? and if you ARE going this fast, you should be looking at the road, not the speedo!!! LOL

Likewise the fuel & temperature gauges, the MFA and all the warning lights work fine.

The problem was with the tachometer. This expects a 4-cylinder signal and reads too high when connected to a VR6.

Theoretically, you could modify the clocks by soldering a resistor in the right place, but without a circuit diagram for the clocks, this was waaay too risky.

It took a lot of searching, but I found a device that will convert a 6-cylinder signal into a 4-cylinder signal. There's only one such device, and it's only sold in the US. It's called the Dakota Digital SGI-8 and can be purchased here:

** LINK **

It cost me about £90 including shipping & taxes, but did the job beautifully. The signal in/signal out terminals just splice into the green/black tacho wire that goes between the ECU and the clocks. Provide the unit with power, flick a few DIP switches to set it up and off you go! 8)

Are you using the Mk3 wiring loom with stand-alone aftermarket engine management, or are you using the stock ECU and wiring loom from the Mk4 4Motion donor car?. If it's the former, then you can go the same route I did.

well unfortunately for me i have not got any mk3.5 clocks so will just use my vr ones and shove some red leds in there to spice it up a little.

well done for the build and im pretty sure ive never seen anyone do it before. not even on the vortex. well done nick.

well unfortunately for me i have not got any mk3.5 clocks so will just use my vr ones and shove some red leds in there to spice it up a little.

The other limited edition clocks to look out for are the black-on-white GTI Anniversary ones. They come up on eBay from time to time.

Once again, they are 4 cylinder clocks, but will be convertable using the Dakota SGI-8.

Alternatively, there are some nice indiglo kits out there. This is what I was going to do if the SGI-8 didn't work!!

I called the breakers today and bought the MK3.5 clocks. Even if i cant get them to work, i know lots of people with 8 and 16V's that would have them!

Im not sure on the loom front. I think hes using a MK3 VR6 one. If so i might get it to work. But £90 for that and the clocks!:(

Blue Mohair roof now fitted and cleaned up:

vr6cab_13.jpg

Also fitted a Corrado Throttle body and K&N Panel filter and swiss-cheesed the lower airbox this weekend. Quite surprised at the difference this has made! Should tide me over until I can find a suitably-priced supercharger kit, anyway!

Was the hood off the MK4 mate? Was it an easy job? Mine started to go at the edges:(

Yes, it was off the same 2001 Cabrio as the seats and dash.

My replacement hood was complete with frame, hydraulic rams and pump, all together and straight off the donor car. It wasn't too bad to swap out (3 hours or so), but it takes 2 people to lift it and aligning the forward edge took a fair bit of trial and error.

Replacing just the outer fabric (keeping the existing frame) is a whole different proposition though. This is a job best left for the professionals. I have some contact details if you're interested.

id love to see a mohair one on mine, looks so much fresher, but that will have to wait, spent too much on the heart of the car so far. anyway, my boring vinyl one is in decent nick, lol. your cars deffo looking tric now nick.