• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clonking noise from the back would probably be the rear beam bushes I expect.

Not sure about the ticking noise, where exactly is it coming from?

Stick with it Nick, this is going to be lovely once you finished it and you will regret getting rid of it if somebody finishes it for you!

i have just sat and read this thread from start to finish!!! and it would be a shame if you have done all that work and then gave up coz of a few niggles, they all sound quite minor or easily remedied which will be sorted in no time and it will be a spot on car again, you done all the hard work dont let someone else have the luxury of using it!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i have just sat and read this thread from start to finish!!! and it would be a shame if you have done all that work and then gave up coz of a few niggles...

Thanks for reading thru the thread Nick!

When it comes right down to it, I can't bring myself to abandon the project, even though it's going to end up costing just 5 grand short of an R32.

I've secured another car now for the daily hack to work, so the cabrio can be taken off the road for engine repairs, a respray and probably more mods. Watch this space!

yeah, the only reason i'd go for the r32 is the 4x4. mk4's dont have the charm that the mk3 inherited from the mk2's (and lets just say the mk3 didnt inherit that much hehe). Stick with it and think of it this way, no one else on the road has a vr6 cabrio like yours there are millions of r32's, and once yours is up and supercharged you'll be merrily wasted r32's :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I did consider removing the boot handle, but thought it might look too plain with nothing on the back at all. Besides, it's the only way into the car if the battery goes dead!!

The rubber strips all came off, then the hood & interior were covered prior to painting, with the hood down. Progress pics from the bodyshop should show this when they arrive!

Been busy this weekend working on the engine. Work included replacement of head gasket, cam followers & water pump. Here's some pics:

Aluminium coolant transfer pipe, new oil cooler & Vibra-technics front engine mount fitted:

coolantpipe3.jpg

Jacking up engine to access water pump:

water_pump1.jpg

Old water pump after removal - looks pretty knackered:

water_pump4.jpg

Aligning engine on mounts after water pump replacement:

water_pump6.jpg

Timing chain marked up prior to removal of head:

hg1.jpg

Timing chain:

hg2.jpg

Makeshift cam locking tool made out of bits of Mk3 bumper!

hg3.jpg

Timing chains tied up to prevent them falling inside the engine:

hg4.jpg

Cams & bearings removed:

hg5.jpg

Cam followers removed:

hg6.jpg

Head ready to come off:

hg7.jpg

Cylinder head removed:

hg11.jpg

Cylinder bores:

hg8.jpg

Slight oil contamination in cylinder #1. Should I be concerned about this?

hg9.jpg

the oil contamination is probably a slight leak from headgasket or valve guides.

That makes sense. The headgasket was peeing out oil from the belt end of the engine (where cylinder #1 is) - that's why I was replacing it!

Difficult to tell how much oil the engine is burning when that leak was going on - should be able to get a better idea now the leak's fixed.

• 4 weeks later...