I can't afford to run two cars so have to use the VR as a daily runner

I bought a mk2 golf cl for 500 quid... costs £20 a month to insure.... £20 a month average for tax.... so it costs me £40 a month to run it...

The saving on fuel per month from using the mk2 instead of the vr is £70. so im £30 a month better off and i dont have to worry about running the vr is nasty conditions and stacking up the miles :)

Def worth it as the mk2 is now for sale for £1000 so i will end up making a profit. :)

agreed... no way would I run a VR as a daily commute anymore

even my valver is in the market to be traded down for a snot box commuter. thinking SDI Lupo.

I pay £2.5k a year for the train to work & pedal it most of the time to avoid the tube, it was cheaper running a clio to work in Herts but not sure it would be now. The Audi has been LPGd which is great but prices slowly creeping up for that too

I drive it how VW made it to be driven...everyday!!! Although i only do 5miles a day to and from work' date=' so to me that justifies running at 19mpg in traffic lol

[/quote']

How much (in cash value) are you putting in a week? I only do 6 miles each way and work a 4 day week but still manage to put in £30 a week!!!!!!!!

Hi Looking at this fuel business' date=' what's the most mpg you can get froma VR6 I've had about 30 ish. So in theory the only way to get better MPG is to make the car as light as humanly possble ie strip the inside out, then replace the glass with perspex, fit skinny wheels and tyres, fibre glass panels , fit tiny battery, then remap the ecu to maximum mpg etc I wonder if you could get at least 35+ !! Now all we need is someone to try it would make a good article! Oh yes and put helium in your tyres too. It going to cheaper running your car on white spirit soon!! I'm off to B&Q

[/quote']

Going off the trip computer, I average 35mpg easily on the trip to and from work, all motorway pretty much, 18miles there, 18 back. Thinking I had a computer problem I sat back and worked out over a 40 litre top up I average 32 ish. It can be done, i've had her up to 42 at one stage! but that was really trying - sat for 40 miles at 56 in the wake of a large hgv. ;)

I drive it how VW made it to be driven...everyday!!! Although i only do 5miles a day to and from work' date=' so to me that justifies running at 19mpg in traffic lol

[/quote']

How much (in cash value) are you putting in a week? I only do 6 miles each way and work a 4 day week but still manage to put in £30 a week!!!!!!!!

I do about £40 every 10 - 14days depends if i take it out on the weekends to be honest mate.... i loose most of my tank sitting in traffic :(

[/quote']

should I sell mine then cos I cant drive it everyday? ;-)

[

i drive 2 vws, one in the week and one at weekends!!! Even better! :P

Its not always possible to run cars like this as much as we would like... also makes me appreciate the vr more after a few days of driving the mk2, the vr feels amazing!! :)

just worked out that on average i put 15-20 litres in a week

at the price it is now averaged out at £1.30 its £1014 - £1352 a year to fill mine up, plus tax and insurance of around 5-600 thats 2 grand a year not including anything that breaks or falls off, when you do the sums you start to think what am i doing?

better than my audi which was £400 a month plus £70 in diesel and tax and insurance about £600 that makes £6240 annnually.

Which actually makes the VR6 a money saving excercise after the first year, if you include the outlay to actually buy the car.

VR6 power, saving me money every day :-D

[/quote']

should I sell mine then cos I cant drive it everyday? ;-)

No just keep it looking mint!! if i could afford to i would keep mine as a weekend car

[

i drive 2 vws, one in the week and one at weekends!!! Even better! :P

Its not always possible to run cars like this as much as we would like... also makes me appreciate the vr more after a few days of driving the mk2, the vr feels amazing!! :)

I know what you mean i had a mk2 for 6 months then got back into a VR god i love it....dont think any other car will make me as happy driving as a daily than a VR would!!!

I dont drive mine too often now but i get 120 miles of around town to a tank which costs me 45 quid. I dont go below a quarter coz walbro makes me splutter.

But if anyone fancies Stanlow Oil Refinery in Ellesmere Port on Friday 28th January from 7.30pm - 11.30pm, thaeres a fuel protest going on at the shell refinery. I'll be there and trying to encourage some other modded car owners to attend. ITS NOT JUST TRUCKERS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE PRICE OF FUEL!!!