Not a good sound...Help Help Help!!!

Help....ive a mamouth list of things do and cost increasing...but now crapping a bit!!! Pulled up on my ol' mans driveway the other day and as i smiled at him whilst climbing the drive his face was that of oh dear.... ignition of i said i know exhaust sounds awful (blowing) he said no you better check oil or something engine sounds bad. I hadnt noticed anything in cabin. Bonnet open...engine fired up,....slight rattle (hard to explain noise) hand open throttle...noise inc reases!!!soesnt sound good :(

It may be impossible to pin point on a forum the problem as im sure it has to be heard. But looking for common probs, same experience. i again cant pin point exact location of noise as one min seems R/H side of block then seems L/H side when i get closer to that. Do chains make a noise if not all good etc???

over reacting? i dunno!?! so much to do. im up to 500 od quid in maintenance parts without labour..(minus sorting replacemnet s/s exhaust for blowing scorpion sh!te) .....dreading this noise :((((

welcome to the wonderful world of vr6 ownership, you'll spent a fortune on it but when its ruuning you'll forget all about it.

i had similar issue's with my old engine that was on its original chains at 135k. i was told it was chain slap but it turned out to be the belt tensioner bearings were shot. if standing in front of the car it sound like chain rattle if you put your ear next to the coil pack it seemed to get quieter.

GAvin that is pretty much how it sounds till you rev it, then the noise increses. i dont have the experience with these engines or chain driven but my first instinct was sounds like a chain rattle when a chain is slack n a motorbike etc.

Guys my milage is only 68k

Well Squid i can do a bit but seriously lacking in the tools needed, i have sheds full of eveything imaginable for all sorts of situations in life,random stuff...lol but my ol' man had a load of his tools pinched which he had built up over wellprob as many years as i am old.lol Anyway, my brother in law is a machanic and he does all my work,..however i have been waiting on him to do all my jobs for ni-on 3 months...hazards of family favours(although i pay him what he like's, i just like to know who's working on my veichles) that things have deteriated to a point where verging on desperate for the work to be done.

Chain price?? dual chains aren't they??

Chains cost around £1000 - £1500 at a garge but if you no someone who can do it for you the parts are around £300 including a new clutch which is worth doing at the same time as its easier to take gearbox of to do chains. Its all worth it in the end but dont believe that these cars are reliable.

A quick look online...

Chain, VR6 Upper 92-97 (upto AAA217000) Febi 09402 £19.53

Chain, VR6 Upper 97-98 (from AAA217001) Febi 25364 £23.79

Chain, VR6 Lower Febi 09585 £12.72

Tensioner, VR6 Upper 92-97 (upto AAA217000) Genuine 021109509A £25.95

Tensioner, VR6 Upper 97-98 (from AAA217001) Genuine 021109509E £8.72

Tensioner, VR6 Lower Febi 25240 £22.94

Guide, VR6 Upper Genuine 021109513 £9.79

Guide, VR6 Lower Genuine 021109469 £3.75

there is a thread in the knowledge vault that shows you how to do your chains,as long as you've got tools you cant go wrong,its a big job but every step is explained with pics it makes it so simple a 5yr old would understand,have a look

get a garage to diagnose the prob but dont authorise the work. that way you get an experianced eye look at it. then you buy the parts and talk your brother in law into hurrying up.

if chains/guides go its the end of the engine. but then you can get an engine for the same price as parts and fit a new engine. it would be cheaper for a garage to swap the engine's than to change the chains

dont worry about people saying vr's are not reliable its rubbish they are reliable. for about 3 months of the year lol. if you behave and service em correctly then they'll last,