£30 Fixed penalty Notice.

Well, I had my reminder for car tax appear around 2 weeks ago...ran out 30/04/09......I bought it on the 22 april online. Still hasn't arrived, though the DVLA assured me on wednesday that it was being processed....mailed.....so today on the way to work, with the reciept for online purchase in my wallet but the old tax disc still on display I get pulled by a T5.

Checks the car over and informs me that my tax disc has ran out, I inform him that my car is taxed and has been for the past 9 days, but the DVLA ahsn't got their backsides into gear. I show him the reciept and inform him that I have to drive 40mins, 34 miles to work and that public transport is a no go.

40mins in the car and leaving my house at 6am would translate into leaving at 3:30am, 11 buses, £26...to be 9 minutes late for 7:30am...finishing my shift at 8pm..£22 this time as by the time I get to within 7miles of my home at around 10:20pm, the buses are no longer running and a taxi would cost £14.....this is what I told him.................I earn around 59 a weekday...losing £3 on journeying.

Not intrested. Failure to display. £30 fixed penalty notice.

After explaining it again to him, that the money HAS come out of my account for the tax, that "KIRSTY" from the DVLA assured me my disc would be here by now, that I've had nothing but bad luck with the car too, he laughed and said "this isn't your day then is it", while handing me the notice.

Of course I actually lost my temper and called him several explicit choice words and told him he was being petty and pathetic too. Had a warning and I was on my way.

WHY is it then, that we HAVE to display car tax, even though the PIGS and DVLA work together and can easily tell if the vehicle is taxed or not through their sodding records. It's a pathetic, god damn law.

I would, but I willfully got into the car with an out of date tax disc on show. No matter what I try, I will have no defense....plus going to court would incuur more bills for me and I'd still lose as it's the government.

I could say they forced me to use the car as I had work and gave plenty of time for payment and THEY are the ones who broke their statement "5 - 7 working days".....9days after purchase, still nothing.... it's 50/50 on win/lose.

Dispute it mate, even if you lose, it's the principal. Just reading your post, has got my blood boiling. It's ridiculous. What a prcik. As mentioned, you not displaying the tax is not your fault as you had already paid for the tax in time.

log back on to the website or the documents I am sure it says you are covered in there somewhere... and check the statment about the tax aspect.

It is an issue not to display the disc.... A quick call to CABmay be worth while..

Technically you are taxed as they have your money. Why did they pull you over?

He said because he had to do 120 to catch up. I maintained 80 down the middle lane over taking lorries. I asked him where he was in relation to me when he saw me and he said sat at 55 in the N/S as I entered the motorway, I didn't see him, he was behind a van I rekon. I hit the motorway doing 70. I even had cars overtaking me at speed in lane 3, yet he caught up to me and gave me that worthless excuse. When I did ask him about the 10 or so cars hurtling past me, he said "you appeared the most wreckless".

I just put it down to having a nicer, better looking car and he was jealous.....plus I have a skinhead too........council estate looking scumbag lol.

long story short mate, if u got the receipt for the road tax that is ur road tax, it states on your tax renewal form that if u pay on-line ur vehical is taxed instantly. fight it all the way then try and find a trumped up nothing to charge them for. ie....travel expenses incured for mini-cabs to and from work whilst your car was off the road because u was told it was un-taxed. any cabbie will give u some receipts for a few beers mate..

we could be wrong here, i got this from motor lawers website

What is the penalty for not displaying a tax disc?

Pursuant to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, anybody who uses or keeps a vehicle on a public road, without there being a valid road licence, face the following penalties:

* A fine of up to £1,000.

* If it is greater than £1,000, a fine equal to five times the amount of duty payable to tax the vehicle.

* Ordered to pay all back duty owed since the vehicle was last licensed.

I ordered my tax disc online but it has not yet arrived, is it against the law to drive/park my vehicle on the public highway whilst I wait for the disc to arrive?

Yes, it is against the law to use the vehicle as you would be unable to display a current tax disc. The law is particularly written in this manner, to prevent the "tax in post" defence.

BUT i still beleive that the receipt u have for the road tax enables u to drive ur vehical on the road. accourding to dvla. im certain of it, my friends buy online and have always just shown the receipt or put that in the window, the reference number on it is basically ur tax

i think your down fall will be the offence is failure to display . Not that you are not taxed or they would have had that car off ya and down the pound the u would have been looking at 120 notes to get it back. Its the dvla u need to have a pop at not that they will do anything . But the copper was being a c##k. Only thing i would say is if i ever was to drive a car with no tax or mot ect i would drive a little slower than normal and try not to stick out . U were just unlucky fella .

Mate' date=' i can't believe you got done for this. That copper has gotta be such a c*nt to do you for this (although according to the law, within his rights to do so). I would write to DVLA, requesting they cover cost of your fine.

[/quote']

quite right this law stinks,you have done nothing wrong!!

what about all the people who don't pay and won't pay.

it is not you fault,make sure you try and get the money back for the fine from dvla.

what a bunch of w*nkers. :@

makes my blood boil !!!

That is totally shite, i'm driving around now exactly the same, paid mi dosh waiting for the disc, you'd think they would show some discression as they can tell right away if you've paid your tax.....Wanker... :S

alot of police men 'have' to be right even when you prove them wrong like you did...

iv been a week late paying for my tax before, and was told i had upto 2 weeks after the date?!?!! before any legal action....

I know mike, he just wasn't intrested in anything. Maybe his boyfriend refused to buy him the sparkley dress the same day.

There is no contest, he works on behalf of the DVLA, so I have to take it up with them. They have said it was a criminal offense and they will review it and give me corrispondance.

I gave them the time of call and name of the kirsty girl.

If you have paid for car tax, there is no need for the disc as the police records show you have tax on the car, they're just being anal and petty, probably more money from a stupid fine into their little system.

i wont be doing mine online again i was proper scared they were going to tow my car for not displaying it i was just being lazy about not going out to the post office.

Def targets though i reckon they cant be bothered to look for the real criminals so picked on you