MYSTERY?!?! 4 MECHANICS AND STILL NOTHING DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON???

Its been almost a week now. I had the bonet open and it started to rain, after I closed it I started the car and nothing, i get a funny hissing noise from behind the speedo and the clock resets its self sometimes I get a clicking noise from behind the speedo or maybe a hissing and then clicking, its all very random but the engine wont start or turn over at all. RULING OUT THE BATTERY I have had it checked with that volt thingy twice and had it on jump leads 3 times and attempted to jump start it the old fashion way including towing it and puting it in gear and starting it up so THE BATTERY IS FINE, I've had the starter motor off and it works I SAW WITH MY EYES IT WORKS, on the car however its getting power through the leads but it won't work, anyway I've had a recovery driver, a mobile mechanic and a mechanic friend look at it and they all came to the conclusion of about 80% certainty starter motor, HOWEVER THE STARTER MOTOR WORKS FINE THE GEAR CUMS OUT AND SPINS FINE anyway it doesnt explain the speedo. Heres a link to the video of this crazy car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPVG_v-8Cg

I will go in to more detail about the speedo it is random, and its behavior and noises change from time to time, right now if i go to start the car on the battery on position i only get the handbrake light (if its up, if i put the handbrake down then the battery/altenator light comes up) the temp and petrol gauges go crazy and flicker and go right to the opposite side of the gauge, off the scales literally, i noticed if i move the steering wheel to the right (only to the right, no response if turned left) then the battery lights come on as if normal however still no start the engine will not turn over.

I AM SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST BUT THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING NOW, ANY HELP IS APRECIATED, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SIMULAR STORIES OR ANYTHING SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN THE BATTERY, SOMEBODY MUST HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE OR HEARD ABOUT IT???? I CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WITH A CAR THAT REFUSES TO START FOR NO APARANT REASON. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Ignition switch? It sounds like when you switch it off it cuts all power, then when it's switched on the power is returned and you hear the same noise from the dials as you would when you plug in the multi plug on the back after they've been removed, like an initial recalibration

thanks to everyone you've all been very helpful on this. i think it could possibly be the ignition switch, if not then maybe an earthing problem on the car if that fails then might be immobiliser, guess i just have to take her down to an electrical mechanic now to confirm these theories.

QUICK UPDATE; i just hotwired the car and i'm still getting the same problem does this rule out the ignition switch as i am by passing it???

Would do. How did you "hotwire" it, I am guessing at the starter motor? Also check the earth strap that leads from the battery to the chassis and possibly fusebox wiring.

EDIT: Also check earth wire to starter motor itself....

ok sitting comfort...ably...

start with the basics and don't be afraid to swap out. meters and other things can lead you down a false path under certain circumstances. a tone is sometimes better than a reading.. Proper engineer speak that... :D

Right basics followed by more in depth...

Battery... turn the headlights on. when you turn the ignition what happens to the headlights? if for example they go off then you have a power supply issue/earth etc. if not then this system is all cool

how did you hot wire? did you simply take a cable from the battery to the starter? if so did the starter engage, click etc? Are you sure the ignition switch was at least turned enough to show basic ignition position?

The dash system sounds like it is resetting and i have concerns that the correct lights are not on in the correct sequence etc.. (geek). If the other 2 are all good then you need to look at both your alarm system and the ECU. these are the areas that overlap and can generate that kind of signal. Replace with mates ecu. Does the car start? Also remember the dash does play its part in this process.

get the alarm system checked

After that burn the car and claim the insurance.... and buy mine at an inflated price.

I hope it helps and I dont mean to teach you to suck eggs...

let us know how it goes and if you could try and give us detailed feedback or even more vids mate that'll be spanking..

good luck from us all..........

THANKS to everyone again, I think I'm finally getting there.

RCF you seem to know what your talking about, the headlights are fine they work perfectly fine as they would and should. I hot wired the ignition by removing the ignition wires out the back (didnt cut them or anything just unplug) I got bits of wire and attatched them sort of on to the black thing wont go into detail (we'll all have our vr6s missing in the morning :S... well i wont :P) but i get the same shit with the dashboard lights as if i was turning the key anyway.

I seem to have singled out the problem somehow to the starter motor (which works fine I removed it and hooked it directly to the cable and you can see it works fine, just my mechanic friend said it should be spinning much faster seemed fast enough) also my mate has a gti the mobile mechanic bridged a spanner to the starter motor and sparks flew you can hear the motor spin when he bridge my starter motor nothing not even sparks, yet there was power going in to the motor through the leads etc... Anyway I removed it and tried turning the key in the morning without the starter motor and BELIEVE IT OR NOT everything seemed fine no funny lights, noises or resetting I'm not actually a mechanic myself but guessing there is some sort of short circuit in the starter motor something along them lines, when i connected the starter motor back on and started it after 3 turns of the key it was acting all dodgey again. If you're still with me lol anyone know what this means? Maybe new starter motor????

Thanks again guys!!! :D

IF YOU CANT BE BOTHERED TO READ ALL THAT THEN, BASICALLY WITH THE STARTER MOTOR OUT FOR A FEW HOURS I CAN TURN THE KEY AND THE LIGHTS AND EVERYTHING ARE NORMAL, OBVIOUSLY NO START, WHEN I PUT THE STARTER BACK ON THE CAR AND TRIED TO START IT I GOT THOSE STUPID NOISES AND ERRATIC LIGHTS RESETTING ETC...

No, I put the same one back in, I was just asking if anyone knew wether its some sort of short circuit with my starter or is it some sort of electrical problem thats affecting the starter.... I think I will jus change the starter, anyone know where I can get a used one from???

GOOD NEWS GUYS, I took it to a garage expecting the worst, turns out to be a corroded ground connection that connects to the starter motor... I must say though how mechanics are very ignorant when it comes to troubleshooting, I had to suggest a bad earth connection so he wired the black wire from the battery on to a bit of metal on the engine and it started first time, sorted out the corrosion that was it didn't even have to pay! :D

Again a big thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help!