cracked turbo maniold

well , looks like you can add another to the list..my exhaust manifold ( a stainless teel spa unit)

has a crack in the weld between 2 ports.. luckily i think it can be brazied/rewelded.. and thank god i have a v band on the car, at least i dont have to drop everything to get it off. bit of a bummer though..

jim

i hope not to need another one.. as the downpipe and wastegate are fabbed foir mine..

its a small crack..and to make it worse it sblowing at the turbo / downpipe flange and i think ive lost a bolt fro the compressor housing..hence the weezing asthmatic sound it makes :(

its coming off in the next few days and will be off the road till its sorted.. which should be a few weeks..

Jesus H Christ, PMSL!!! Looks like something from the "The Thing"!

Bad luck Jim :-( Obviously I can relate to your issue!

Unfortunately, any cracks and blowing pre-turbo can slow the spool up.

Mine's been cracked for ages now but it still drives OK. Looking forward to tidying it all up down there next year.

thx kev..tbh its been blowing since a track day..worst thing is..first time round , it was me not doing up a bolt that caused it to blow..then i had two studs snap off in the head..so i put a spare head on and thats were im at now. took the heat sheild off today, and you can see a very small crack between the ports , and im somehow missing a nut on the turbo/downpipe flange, plus its blowing on the compressor housing.. still at least i no what im looking at now..i no a man who can weld the manifold, and im gonna locktight, wire lock all the turbo nuts.. so hopefully that should sort it..

tis a shame because apart from that its been very reliable, done 2 track days, a day at the pod , just for a laugh, plus the wifes been using it , and will be whilst i sort her mk4 out.. ive also been clocking up around 200-300 miles per week in it.

got myslef a miltek exhaust on it now, much quiter and more stock sounding...got a bit of a rev problem..but i think thats down to the gap in my plugs. as i did drop two on the floor, so ill have them out tommorrow and regap to .22 which is what thy have been at.

then at some point in the new year. im gona look at either a c2 soloution or standalone, im leaning towards the later as i prefer to get something out of it , if ya no what i mean.

got myslef a miltek exhaust on it now' date=' much quiter and more stock sounding...got a bit of a rev problem..but i think thats down to the gap in my plugs. as i did drop two on the floor, so ill have them out tommorrow and regap to .22 which is what thy have been at.

then at some point in the new year. im gona look at either a c2 soloution or standalone, im leaning towards the later as i prefer to get something out of it , if ya no what i mean.

[/quote']

Don't think the Miltek the best system to use with forced induction, i used it with my V9 and it was so restrictive.

That could be your rev problem

Bore size is only 2.25. Been your Turbo you need 2.5'' or better 3'' system

i thought that about the exhaust, but when i made 327 bhp.. it was with a hacked cat..and a standard size exhuast system that had been cut and welded to remove boxs and put bends in.. i wouldnt mind chnaging it but.. thats for another day.. i quite fancy a 3" system , but i just cant have it boomy.loud as i take my little girl out in it.

Mate of mine just paid 750 for his, full 3" with one box, wasn't v-banded but, that was on a big turbo Ibiza which needed a pretty tricky snakehead made up though, on a VR I'd expect it to be cheaper as the downpipe is so simple.