.:R32 engine into a mk3

I have always thought about the r32 and the possibility of putting one into my old mk2. I was thinking is there not a way you can splice the r32 loom into the vr6 loom/ecu and map it? obviously not too simple or as simple as just that, but surely its possible?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youve not been looking ahrd enough ;-)

as far as i know to isntall a R32 engine you need

Engine

NEw front mount

New downpipe

ECU

Wiring loom

I dont think you need stuff like keys / ignition barrels / or the ancillaries as its all bolt on and the ECU is matched to the existing key etc.

At least thats the impression i got from C2 when he explained it

Yer sorry didnt mean keys / ign. just couldnt think of the sh*t u needed lol. But yer like i said all the ones i keep finding are around the £1.5-2k mark with ECU and loom.

BUT if what you are saying is true then i need to peel my eyes a little bit more by the sounds of it haha, save myself a G haha

youve not been looking ahrd enough ;-)

as far as i know to isntall a R32 engine you need

Engine

NEw front mount

New downpipe

ECU

Wiring loom

I dont think you need stuff like keys / ignition barrels / or the ancillaries as its all bolt on and the ECU is matched to the existing key etc.

At least thats the impression i got from C2 when he explained it

Yer sorry didnt mean keys / ign. just couldnt think of the sh*t u needed lol. But yer like i said all the ones i keep finding are around the £1.5-2k mark with ECU and loom.

BUT if what you are saying is true then i need to peel my eyes a little bit more by the sounds of it haha' date=' save myself a G haha

[/quote']

haha i think my lsit is correct, its only what ive been told and im still unsure if it plumbs directly in or if you need other stuff,

I now know that a mk4 is straight in and a mk5 engine is straight in but u need to use a mk4 alternator bracket for the power steering pump as its electric or summat, (its detailed above)

ive not seen many R32 engines on ebay tbf, ive seen a few around the £1.5k mark, and a few that got sold for under £1k. but i reckon you could find one in abreakers cheaper, so long as the breaker doesnt know what hes doing that is.

im gunna look for a shunted / rolled one that still runs and jsut offer them a couple of hundred to trailer it away, probably break the remains for what it cost.

Those prices aren't bad, but Im sure this could probably turn into a debate about whether to spend money on an R32 engine OR on a decent supercharger.

Personally, if I had the money I'd like to do something that hasnt really been done before so it could at least get a double page spread in Performance VW :-P R32's into mk3's have been done before and it's becoming more and more popular, but still seen as a unique change. When I first started looking into mod's, it was the Audi 1.8T engine that was quite popular.

Still prefer the sound of a supercharged VR6 though.

if i had the money id whack a rs4 engine in it, that would be an awesum project and most likely very very very expensive.

I thik upgrading to a R32 lump or charging the 2.8 vr6 both has its pros and cons. it all depends what you want from your VR

I want power and reliability and longevity, so an R32 lump with 250bhp, low miles is gunna fill all of those and come in at around the £2k mark

or if you charge your vr for around the same amount of money you get the power and reliability but not necessarily the longevity cus although VW engines are very good at alsting ages, they wont last forever with performance upgrades

For me the biggest attraction of an R32 lump is i can spend the same on that to get 250bhp as someone else can spend to charge the 2.8 to 270bhp. but the R32 engine is still stock and can still be tuned, to get the 2.8 vr more horses you have to throw alot more money at it and make it even less reliable etc etc

Thats only my personal view though, everyone differs

kev when you say 'slight modification to the front mount bracket' could you clarify a bit? or C2 chime in?

im guessing it'll be pretty much the same for a 4mo lump

It's hard to explain but where the front bracket hooks around the block and starter motor with the long bolt going through the middle, well that bit is different on the R32. Not sure about the 2.8 24V. Basically, when you fit the 12V front mount bracket to an R32, you're left with a gap that needs filling with a spacer or a bunch of washers as I've seen some people do. Some people sell a modified bracket but I've not seen one in person. I thought C2 sold one but looking on their site, they don't list it.

No the bracket is too deep if anything. The difference is just taken up with a solid spacer, or washers, but a lot of people strengthen the bracket for good measure.

You use the 12V oil cooler because the 24V one is too big and fouls the 12V front engine mount bracket.

Seriously, it's all peice of cake stuff and it all makes sense when you drop the motor in.

ok cool' date=' just have visions of dropping stuff in loooking at it and saying 'crap'

well i also read on CF that it drops onto the vibra front mount no problem, this being on a rado though and not a mk3 so front cross member is different

[/quote']

Haha thats my worry cus my cars gunna be my daily driver, id have to assemble every last part needed and start it friday night with the hope of it being A1 by sunday night

dont forget the DBW throttle pedal too

could ideally do with getting some clarification on a few points that ive come across reading a few things

is there any pre-ECU loom changing needed for example between the fuseboard and ECU?

does the DBW throttle pedal bolt up to the pedal box or does a new bracket need welding on?

im sure there's a few more...

i would love to r32 my vr6, and for the same price of a supercharger !! it seems like a reasonable thing considering you have a 25bhp stock engine which you can later supercharge !

ummmm supercharged r32 mk3

my mind starts wondering.............................

is there any pre-ECU loom changing needed for example between the fuseboard and ECU?

I don't know about other companies' date=' but with Stealth Racing, if you give them your ECU and loom from the MK5, they will give you back a loom and instructions to 'plug and play' into your existing wiring. And you also get a 280hp remap, deimmobilised, default coded and ready to go.

Once in and running, you can then trim out all the redundant OBD1/2 wiring.

I've already helped a mate put a full MK5 setup into his Corrado and Stealth's ECU 'package' started and ran first turn as if it were in the stock vehicle :-)

does the DBW throttle pedal bolt up to the pedal box or does a new bracket need welding on?

To do it to OE standards, a MK5 bracket welded to the floor is a nice way to go, but a lot of people just bolt it to the floor because welding in the interior is a full carpet out job due to the fire risks.

A brand new R32 pedal is approx £85 and has the 'R' metal cover. A non- swanky plastic only pedal is about £50.

The one thing you MUST get from the donor vehicle is the pedal loom and connector. Getting the connector from VAG is a mission and only comes with nasty yellow wires prefitted. It's a weird lockinge connector and not available anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Downpipes. Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't not recommend DubPower's 6 branch. Use the stock manifolds with C2's downpipes.

Lambdas - There's all kind of lambdas they fitted to R32s, some had grey plugs, some black and some brown so again, to save yourself some grief, make sure you get the donor vehicles.

There is some other stuff I've forgotten, but just ask if you think of any more Qs