Oil..how does your's like it

Hey peeps,

1.2 LTR's of oil with 1300 mls...sound okay?

no leaks that i can see, no visible black smoke. Do the vr's use oil in this fashion? I was kinda worried when i found out becuase i checked it when i first had it serviced and it was full, yesterday it was at the bottom bit of the 'acceptable' mark. Took a bottle and a half to fill the bugger back up.

At this rate i think i'll have to KEEP a larger oil can in the car... :(.

10w/40 okay? or should it be 15w.

I use 10w/40 synta silver (used by VW themselves) and mine uses very little, perhaps a litre between oil changes (6ooo miles ish). I have heard that VW say more excessive use of oil is within spec but it does seem a lot tbh.

VR6's are known for liking a drink - try going up in viscosity - do you knw what grade was put in when i was serviced ?!

Im currently using 0W/40 Castrol RS as i got a good deal on it a few months ago - im using about 1/2 litre every 1000 miles but this is due to it being to thin really - as soon as its due a change ill be going upto 10W/40 or similar....

If there's no smoke on your car dont worry too much - just keep an eye on it 8o)

Pete.

cheers lads, i didnt think it was too much of a problem becuase the manual does indeed state a fair bit of consumption, its always used 10w, magnatec for modern engines. it HAS had 15w for engines with over 70000mls in it too.

Also blew a headlamp last night, its bloody hard to change becuase there is bugger all space to get at the bulbs....it aint no mk2 :).

Mine started drinking and smoking at the same time

Must say i like a smoke with a drink! :D

Sory back on subject - mine did over 1000 miles and only used half litre of synta, changed to some other brand of 10/40 and its now used half litre in 500 miles. back to the synta me thinks!