how much can a vr6 engine take?

hi. one of my mates has a vr6 and he always 'thraping' it..constantly revving up to 5-6k revs before changing gear but on the other hand he services and maintains it well. i was wondering regardless of him servicing and maintaining his vr6 well..would his engine give in sooner or later? How much can a vr6 engine take?

me on the other hand dont like thraping my vr6 constantly..just here and there but nothing stupid. But my mate seems to say weather you thrape it once or many times it doesnt matter on a vr6? just wondering whether he maybe right since vr6 are strong engines.

whats your opinions?

thanks

if any car is serviced regularly and looked after it will do megamiles, but it also depends on how mechanichally sympathetic you are.

i didnt but a vr6 to pootle around in i love pulling onto the north circular road and hitting 5000 rpm in 3rd gear, but never before the oil is upto 80 degrees. having said that you must bare in mind that when you are thrashing a car, all the individual components are taking more of a battering, suspension, exhaust, brakes, so if your constantly caning it, the car will need regular maintenance.

A VR6 will take a trashing more than a 1.4/1.6/1.8 engine as its designed to go fast and hit the redline..

You redline a 1.4 around for a few years and it going to give up... My VR 97 had 140,000 full Vw full serice histrory 6 owners so i guessed it had been ragged around..

It still runs sweet. Know knocking or tappin noises. Good compression no oil leaks, Does need chains and headgauskit (leaking abit of coolant) . Ive got reseats of all the money spent on it and in its hole life its never had any internal engine work, clutchs, gearbox problems..

Diff came out the gearbox when i got it tho lol.. Buts thats after its done 140,000miles.... been driving my mums new 1.4 clio its only done 16,000 miles but its deloped a tappin noise from the engine. brakes overheaded and glazed, Exhaust knocks when start up

Imo the VR is built to drive fast and hard.. It might let go every 100,000 / 150,000 miles but its worth risking it, Just let it warm up.. Reg services and spend money when its needed and dont worry about it. Im sure it will take what ever you give at it for many many 1000s of miles.. If 280bhp supercharged standard VR6 engines are still reliable and bullet proof im sure a N/A one would have no problems with the 190bhp redline??

My VR6 is coming upto 136,000 miles.

Ive had the car a few years.

Haven't had any problems with it apart from a small oil leek which I had repaired straight away.

...and it still just loves to be revved

best engine I've ever had - there just so strong!

I dont think they suffer from power loss realy.. From what i see from rolling road results high millage motors in good nick make more power than what they where ment to new (190bhp instead of 170bhp)

I recorded a vid of my clocks then timed my 0-60 on it with a stop watch.. Altho not accrate it still said 6 secs. Was probaly more like 7 secs tho...

I dont think your non trashed VR will make any more BHP than your mates trashed VR as long as he lets it warm up and changed oil and filter

my vr when i got it was running really crap, bit low on power and not very responsive. gave it an sevice, it was better but not great. so took it out and thrashed the sh*t out of it. after that its been great. i change give it a good service every month or to or atleast an oil change. I like to keep an eye on how my oil quality is.

never uses oil or water. only noisy bit is my air con pump.

when i got mine it had about 125k on her, ran sweet as a nut, have done 5k in her and i drive quite hard, once car is up to temp i hit 5k on most gear changes (just love the sound it makes over 4k) seem to be fine still, has a slight stutter in the engine but this seems to have happend since i took the throttle body off and cleaned and ported it. they seem to be very good engines, mine uses no oil or water either

ive got a mk2 vr6-----i almost all the time redline the beast----its the only way to drive the VR---besides normal wear and tear issues nothing major to report (touch wood)----however i do change oil and oil filter every 3k----with a major service every year.

oh yes and also il only screw the car once car is properly warmed up.

so i guess as long as the car is maintained well --- it aint so bad hammering the beast.

• 2 weeks later...

Mines had a very hard life since ive had it. Used to thrash it everywhere, hot or cold. 1 engine rebuild later and i always let the oil get up to temp before going above 4k revs. And try to change oil every 3-4k miles.

Oh and i got mine with 110k and no service history. Did the rebuild at 118k