Best Tyres at the moment????

The kwik fit centaur 2000's which were fitted to my car when I bought it have aquaplanned me sideways towards the central reservation for the last f^*king time!!!!

I'm not bothered how long they last, or how quiet they are...I just needs something that grips no matter what.

What's the best tyre out there at the moment?????

my fav's are uniroyal rallye540's. they excel in longitudal grip (traction) especially in wet weather...which is really needed on a vr6. they have above average lateral grip, but more importantly have a very progresive breakaway. i bought a set of 4 from bracknell tyre and battery company for about £230.

toyo proxes T1-S are probably the best gripping tyre, laterally, in the dry but not so good in wet...also, my friends who use them seem to go through a lot of tyres. they've also just been superceded with the T1-R which appears to be better wearing, and better in the wet...but no where near as good in the dry as the old one.

other tyre that is strongly recommended by a lot of people is the goodyear eagle F1 GSD3...i was put of by the fact that i heard of a lot of premature tyre failures. i also could only get the older GSD2 in my size, and a friend reckons they are significantly inferior to the GSD3...and wear quickly.

[ Edited Mon Aug 30 2004, 02:08PM ]

I had Pirelli P7000 on my car - they were pretty good- had difficulty in getting tyres recently - nobody stocked Z rated tyres in 15 inch (standard alloys) ended up getting Avon ZV1's just in time for MOT. They seem OK but I haven't really driven them hard yet.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's all the way.

Toyo T1S's are the next best IMHO. (Esp in the wet).

If you can wait a week for delivery try mytyres.com

Found them to be about £25 per tyre cheaper than most places for 205 55 ZR16's (£72 for the Goodyears)