respray....or not to? pics page 2

im in the body shop diary for 22nd april, i have rust going around my arches and front wings are rotten.

they offered:

Full respray

2 new VW wings

Smoothed bumper line & recess

Frenched smooth tailgate

£1400

or:

bumpers & tailgate £350

and leave the wings to rott till next year :-p

supose if im gettin new wings it doesnt matter if they rott, except the rear ones wich will obviously need sorting. iv told them i just want front end repray but he wont even quote me and says it will look crap (cus of matchin pannels)

i do have 1400 but its going to skint me and leave me with no coilover money, or (much) savings.....so is it a wise move? i have a grands worth of stuff i need ot ebay how ever.....

iv booked it in but have said if i cant get £1400 together i will have the cheaper option.

I paid £350 and got both front wings and all bonnet and rear bumper corners all done. I would shop around...or recommend a friend or something as you should be able to get a bit more for your money. Unfortunately it's always expensive but you should be able get more done for £350

its not just painting the bumpers and tailgate straight tho....there a huge diff .

its the case of plate weldin a new plinth, smoothing the wiper and VW badge, and fitting the new tailgate. then filling the bumper lines and smoothing the plate recess....fair bit of work...some places would charge that just for the bumpers...or tailgate.

and i want new wings.....

told them i just want front end repray but he wont even quote me and says it will look crap (cus of matchin pannels)

? what sort of body shop is that then? i just had the front end of mine painted and you wouldnt even know!!! no lines, no colour variation its blended perfectly, not a blemish, i paid £400 they done the bonnet, both wings and both front doors blended up to the handles, same guy done both my bumpers and grille trim for £200 when i first got it, if you cant trust him to match paint how does he normally do a repair? or does he paint a whole car every time one needs a panel or bumper? i would look elsewhere, as for the smoothed tail gate.... why? i know styling is individual but smoothed is a bit old hat now? i think a USA spec gate looks better, and you can even get the small metal USA type number plates from Dubmeister now too :) you dont see many of those out there! except justins and martins ones ;)

not ful smoothin PHM just french, and keepin the plate...i like teh smooth look, i had a CL tailgate i was goin to use but might USA spec it like you say....but still killing the wiper and badge.

i know what your saying about matching paint its a very good point , its making me want to cancel it, or just do teh bumpers for now.

cheers for the advice

There is no danger id take the cheaper option mate, leave the arches for another year and you will regret it, and like someone said previously whats the point in putting coilovers on a rust bucket??

I paid a grand to get my car done last year, that was fitting the cab front, smoothing both bumpers, de badging and de wipering the tailgate, but that was in a homer from my mate who is a painter/panel beater at the local VW bodyshop,

£1400 seems very good but insist that all windows have at the veryleast got lifting tape for the seals and all trim is removed

That rust is nowhere near bed enough to carry out cutting arches' date=' in fact doing that will probably make matters worse in the long run,

the quarters will need to be painted regardless

[/quote']

really? i would have thought it was the best way to deal with it, surely just sanding it and treating it will just mean it will come back. if im having the rear pannels doone i might as well go for the full respray :( cus thats every pannel ecept the doors.

unfortunately tin worm often returns, but if you pay a proper body shop to do a decent job then it will be years before you see anything come back, the major part of any paint job is the preperation, that takes time and effort and attention to detail, getting the paint on flatting and laquer is the easy part compared to prep work of stripping and masking and sanding, its like most things you get what you pay for, even at the "mates rate" i get my paint done for it would still be 1k for a full paint job + paint etc, if your keeping it get the best you can afford...if not just get it looking good as cheap as possible and punt it on

If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

If you are getting a respray then get everything done at the same time. It will be cheaper in the long run and you will be more likely to be happy with the outcome.

The rust is not bad, but it would be silly not to get it all done in one hit ;-)

Like PHM says, my bodyshop could do it for you to at a cheaper cost but then it's the hassle of the travelling.....

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

im having last minuite nerves, main thing that is puttin me off is the massive 1400 bill, altho u get what u pay for i suopse. main thing i can do to cut teh cost down is have the pannels blended (as PHM) suggest. but it means the not touchin or makina crap job or the rear arches and i dont want that.

also need to tell tehm if im keepin the spoiler and havin a de-locked plinth, or puttin CL glass in and frenching it by tomoro :( decisions!

Only you can make the decisions as it's your car and you know what you want.

It can be a tough choice though when you have so many idea's buzzin' through your head.

You can have the panels blended and it may look very much ok, but having said that you are more than likely going to see very slight differences in the color. Depends how picky you are.

With your car being fairly dark it may be more difficult to spot the different shades through blending.

Some cars that are much brighter, such as a bright red colour you can see the different shading quite easily so it's usually better to respray the whole thing.

How good do you think your bodyshop is ?

the few things they have done in mulberry look pretty good, my splitter was done by them, altho they did a front end respray on my last car in windor blue and it wasnt a spot on match. tje rust has crept onto teh rear quarter panels over the arches now, so cant see away around that one.

if id been lookin after the rust i might not have had this problem.