Equivilant to a charged VR??

i would say not much touches a well sorted charged vr-power,torque,handling,value for money!

if i were to suggest a direct equivilant it would be a 911 of the post 2000 variety,the 3.6 with 320 bhp/300torque.but that more than the £10k budget.a sc golf will smoke it, how easy?-depending on your spec.this is £40k worth of german engineering-wot does this say about sc vr golf's?

on the s3 thing-undertook a few on roundabouts in my time-they look well/good spec,but don't float my boat.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yes' date=' vw's for years , then 200 sx's and now back to the vw fold for good.

[/quote']

how about a mini review/comparison of the 2 mate?

and im strugling to think of a car under £10k thats on a par with a charged vr but i sooooooo wish the vr was rwd ps any idea how much focus rs go for now? a chipped 1 shouold be around the 260 ish bhp mark imo they look mean (the blue is a great colour again imo) + they have a proper diff

ok , 200sx pro's cheap, reliable, tunable, rwd, most have lsd's, quick as standard sub 7.0 secs.

con's, expensive on bits if/when they go wrong,plasticy dash, on the insurance hate list at the mo.

tbh, if i had'nt brought my vr, i would have another 200sx by now, i love them, check out sxoc.com and say hi from me whilst your there. there's not much going agaisnt them, the s14 is better out of the box as its newer and comes with 200cc more than the s13. last of the s13's was on a L/M s14's start on a M and 14a's facelift front end start on a P.

lots of tuners around, and lots of independant parts companys if you no where to look , so that bits dont cost a fortune.

i personally would not touch a focus rs, as when youve had circa 330 bhp in a car that weigh 1100-1200 kgs , not much can catch it.

hth jim

surely that geezer that appeared on here with a rover 200 turbo might still have it for sale???.....some nice cars mentioned above but come on....Rissan PRULSAR..your having a laugh! thats a micra wiv an ironing board on the roof and a horrid interior! awfull just awfulll.... get an M3' date=' build speed and looks

[/quote']

may well be but it's a much faster, better handling car than the vr golf ever was or ever will be..........just built for a different purpose!

ooooh get her.. i take it you own one?.. and some of the above may be true????? but head to head with my Rallye golf a couple of years ago i pissed all over one!!! theres NO real quality in Jap cars imo, the interiors are awfull and the bodywork is suspect and unatractive imo, but i am a vw man through and through, loads of cars i love apart from vw`s but none are Jap im afraid, they just dont do it for me personally, i would still rather have an atractive well made car that was slow (er) anyday than a power on - power off type car thats a nightmare to live with like fragile skylines/evos/subaru and the like, others have only ever copied the original design of the "hot hatch" its never been bettered in concept or design even if some are more powerfull, id rather have my VR6 or Mk1 Gti or failing that a 90`s 911

Give it a couple of years and you'l be able to get a nice MK4 R32 for under 10k.

We (Ns Racing) just bought a '53 plate R32 for £9k weds gone! ;) Minter as well!

9k thats a bargain! PHM theres no exuse now lol. i already sugesed an oldschool 911 PHM, also TVR cereba would tempt me

Excuse?? just decided it wasnt the right time for me to own one at the current rate,an R32 for 9k is possible for a trader, bet its got miles and is cat d write off or sumink? accident damage? doubt its a minter? and maybe not fully loaded spec, believe me i done mega research when i was looking at them, they sound awesome but arent really mega fast if the truth be known, still a car i will own at some point but i am happy with what i got at the minute, TVR`s are ok but build and reliability is very iffy for an everyday car, ideal for middle aged buisness men at the weekend to show everyone they are still "young" really and blipping the throtle on it continuously even when stationary!!!! upset someone in a TVR Grifith at Brands Hatch a few years ago with a scathing comment!! :) "How many blips to a gallon does that do?" didnt go down well, pompous pri*k

thought it was just the price putting you off wasnt being funny officer ;). coudl always stick a charger on a r32, altho that would drink petrol like a bar steward. Yea i know TVR wouldnt make a great everyday car, clarkson is always bangin on about the lack of any kind of comforts or things like abs in them.

A guy at work has an S3. If you do get one make sure you change the cambelt, whether it needs doing or not. His went at 50k miles when it normally needs doing at 72k miles! Whole engine needed replacing. Audi paid for 50% but was a real hassle getting anything out of them. Audi main dealers are ar**holes basically...he had to speak to audi head office to get any discount. Personally I think they should have paid for the lot...anyway.

As you say it isn't that fast due to its heavy weight. It's about the same as my vr. A chipped one would be a different story. I like it. It's very subtle in looks like the vr, not as outgoing in styling as the mark 4 R32. The only thing that puts me off is the fact its only a 1.8 with a turbo. Sounds very average, not sporty. I would miss the growl that the 2.8 lump has.

Give it a couple of years and you'l be able to get a nice MK4 R32 for under 10k.

We (Ns Racing) just bought a '53 plate R32 for £9k weds gone! ;) Minter as well!

That is a bloody bargain , i can't wait as they are slowly falling into my price bracket !!! Woo Hoo

I think that the R32 is the only car that i will change my VR for.

Dave

A guy at work has an S3. If you do get one make sure you change the cambelt' date=' whether it needs doing or not. His went at 50k miles when it normally needs doing at 72k miles! Whole engine needed replacing. Audi paid for 50% but was a real hassle getting anything out of them. Audi main dealers are ar**holes basically...he had to speak to audi head office to get any discount. Personally I think they should have paid for the lot...anyway.

As you say it isn't that fast due to its heavy weight. It's about the same as my vr. A chipped one would be a different story. I like it. It's very subtle in looks like the vr, not as outgoing in styling as the mark 4 R32. The only thing that puts me off is the fact its only a 1.8 with a turbo. Sounds very average, not sporty. I would miss the growl that the 2.8 lump has.

[/quote']

the 1.8t sounds absolutely crap next to a vr but then so do most things!! if your after a noise equivelent to a vr i cant think of anything as nice exept maybe an m3 or r33/r34 skyline (this side of an aston martin at least)

Its just a matter of time before the MKIV R32 come down to sensible money. I've not had mine long so I not looking to change it for a while but would consider a R32 for my next car.

What ever you get you're gonna fall into two postions,

1, you'll get something like the S3 and feel you need to do work straight away to match the SC VRs performance so you budget will most likely be blown without realising it.

2, you'll get some thing witht the power but it'll either be much older or need constant maintence/regular repairs i.e any jap car.

Even in pretty much standard trim i'm well happy with my change from a subaru impreza WRX RA to my newer better built VR

I personally would swap my VR tommorow for an R32 but it would only be replacing like for like imo and only gaining sportier seats and a few horses and 4wd in reality, everything else is just a newer modern day vr and the mk4 was never the pretiest version of the golf anyway was it? that still belongs to the late mk2 16v in oak green, which incidently had the best power to weight ratio only equaled when the R32 came out 10 years later!!!! the main draw back i can see with the R32 is the attention it gets from pond life! it is such a distinctive car you cant help but notice it, like my old G60 Rallye it stands out like a badgers nadgers! so you gotta be cautious where you left it, the VR6 in the main dont suffer this as it looks pretty tame in comparrison and hardly anyone really knows its any different till you open it up!!! and leave them wondering "oh thats what VR6 means" as you dissapear in the distance and leave the "VR roar" ringing in their ears :)

• 3 weeks later...