An alternative to the stock coilpack....

We have been playing around with alternatives to the stock coilpack. As you all know its a bit of a weak spot on the VR, the plastic caseing cracks and leads to missfires etc.

Its a 1 peice unit so you loose 1 coil and you need to replace the lot for £100+

The alternative is to run 3 seperate twin pole coils. The advantages of this are if one does break down, you can replace it individually for alot less cost.

Also you get a much better spark - in the region of 40Kv as opposed to the 10-12KV standard. We have found that this coilpack option runs smoother, is more responsive, and on average returns an extra 2-3mpg.

In FI applications the limited power of the stock pack means you have to keep spark plug gaps very tight, more power means you can open them up and get much better ignition.

Lastly, i thnk they look pretty neat...

So what is needed. Firstly 3 twin pole performnce coils:

msdcoil.jpg

You will see the terminals on the coils are standard GM type so do not work with VW leads. so we need to chop the end off and replace with the correct terminals and boots.

Here is the whole lot in a VR. with re-terminated std leads:

msd1.jpg

msd2.jpg

msd3.jpg

The second option is to replace the leadset. Here are the coils on my Ibiza, with a leadset I made from scratch. This is a better option as you have better leads too:

msd4.jpg

msd5.jpg

In these pics the coils are moutned on an ally plate in place of the orignal coils.

What do people think of this setup? If interest is high enough we would like to produce a nice custom bracket, that will incorporate the original ignition amp module and mate it with the new coils. This would make the swap very easy, as well as the replacement of individual coils as and when. As you can see in the pics clearance is tight between the top cover and water housing as the new "coilpack" is bigger. Also with a proper bracket they do not stick out as far as in these pics.

Rough prices, well the coils are available for around £35 each. The terminals to convert your leads (providing you have enough slack on them) are around £9. You can source these yourself, or I would be able to supply them with the bracket. I would be willing/able to make up an uprated 8mm lead set for use with these for around £50.

The bracket is POA - depending if and to what level we manufacture them - I would think it would be available for around £40. You would use your existing ign module.

So you get an uprated coilpack and the benifits above for ~£150, and if and when a coil breaks down it only costs you the price of a new coil - not a whole coilpack.

What do people think?

Tom.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I witnessed the before and after on the 'test' VR.

With the stock coil pack the car had a slight flat spot on acceleration, which was eradicated with the MSDs..

We all thought that the coil pack couldn't make THAT much difference, so swapped back to the stock one, and the flat spot had returned.

Great response - thanks guys - we'll get on with doing the bracket!

be interested to see a b4 and after rr session on how a FI motor benefits from this cool mod?

Not done a RR test yet. That aside it idles better, no hesitation when you floor it from lower revs, and generally smoother.

On FI, spark plug gaps have to be very tight or the boost blows out the spark. With the Higher spec coil you get a stronger spark for the same dwell period, so can open up the gap and get better igniton. This means the mixture ignites better and quicker, so there should be a noticable increase in power, and also it'll take less fuel to get there.

Have to get some RR comparisons done.

Tom.

i take it the test was done on a n/a vr???

and how often in practice does the standard coilpack breakdown.?

Yep first test was the NA VR in the pics. This is the one Gary witnessed, and its still running them for some durability testing. Also testing on the turbo now too.

Tom.

I witnessed the before and after on the 'test' VR.

With the stock coil pack the car had a slight flat spot on acceleration' date=' which was eradicated with the MSDs..

We all thought that the coil pack couldn't make THAT much difference, so swapped back to the stock one, and the flat spot had returned.

[/quote']

As i mentioned before gary - i have a set here - if you dont mind i'll send them up to you with the leads for some testing - you've got a couple of RR graphs now so if you could use them next time for comparison that'd be great?

Tom.

There is indeed - a 5 pin connector to the amp. This set up utilises the stock Ignition amp in the back of the coilback. it comes off the original coilpack with 2 screws and 4 bolts that attach to the coil section. These fixings will be replicated in the new bracket, to utilise the stock amp with the new coils.

Tom.

There is indeed - a 5 pin connector to the amp. This set up utilises the stock Ignition amp in the back of the coilback. it comes off the original coilpack with 2 screws and 4 bolts that attach to the coil section. These fixings will be replicated in the new bracket' date=' to utilise the stock amp with the new coils.

Tom.

[/quote']

Quick, quick...get it made! :P