Mk2 Conversion

Fair bloomin play to you there hun step by step guide almost in pics.

Me and Ian have done loads of engine transplants before with mk2's so were hoping a vr conversion hopefully wont be that difficult- Famous last words!

Sparks you know we pay people on here for write a guide scheme so if you wanted to tackle a guide for a mk2 conversion we would be ever so gratful but no worries if you cant :)

Claire, I know you and Ian know one end of a spanner to the other, so it's a job you'll be able to tackle.

I was lucky enough to get help from some guys who've done 'one or two' VR swaps over the years, as long as you get a decent donor car (we used a passat), a mk3 subframe, most of the bits are easy to find.

I would deffo recommend changing the horrible 02A cable change shifter/cables to mk4 stuff, we've used R32 lever /cables and a 5 spd 02J shift tower in the 'box, the change is very precise and direct.

Mine's a track day car as you know, so I wanted a diff, lower FD, cams etc, but you don't 'need' to go to all that expense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mk3 subframe with mk2 wishbones 8v gti shafts and g60 brakes lets you stay 4 stud pattern or just put the lot of the mk3 onto it. both the 8v and 16v fuel pumps are good for go , corrado crossmember. try your best to get a later mk2 gti doner utilising the centeral electric should make the wiring 3 times easier . you could change the whole pedal box for hydrolic clutch or you could find a seat clutch mech , cable operated simple bolt onto the box jobby . corrado rad and use all vr cooling system best way :) . now i think you need a corrado crossmember with or without monfied front mount??(vibratech do one ) or just the mount??? grey area for me that bit :) i know its not much , but i hope it helps even if its just a little bit :)

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

yes it does..... if your bay is empty already. Dropping out the old subframe and bolting up the newly built one is a doddle.

What i did with my one conversion was completely build it up before bolting it on. New wishbones, bushes were bolted to it. Uprated ARB and new PAS rack. With the use of a trolley jack i got it lined up and bolted it on in no time.

With the 280's assembled aswell they then mated straight to the wishbones and the struts. I used 8v driveshafts with the conversion and before i new it was back on its wheels that day.

Stef

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

when i was lucky enough to purchase my first dub i was also unlucky that i could only afford a 1.6 driver, how much harder would it be to put the mighty 6 into this instead of a gti? if and when my mk2 is ready for an engine i will be buying a complete mk3 golf vr6 for parts, and also poss using a small 5 or 6 gallon fuel cell located in what was the boot rear floor area instead of the standard tank for weight reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

just to check and confirm a few qs i have about mine.....

i can/should use

raddo rad? or can i use mk3 golf..

2.8 golf mk3 vr hoses will mate up?

wiring wise is it plug and play from obd1 2.8 vr to ce2 loom or do i need to get diagrams and soldering iron out?

got to be raddo frt x-member or can i use a golf mk3 vr one??

and which seat does the clutch mech come off?

will my 8v shifter mech mate to vr box or will i need to change it all??

cheers never looked into vr before always been into 20vs but i seem to have a jetta on the drive and a vr lump in the garage....

• 3 weeks later...