DIY turbo guide

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

I've used JE and Wossner. I prefer Wossner. They come with coated skirts as standard (JE charge you extra for their 'tuff skirt' moly coating) and the production consistency is good. My JEs were a farce. First set had machining errors and one was dented and the second set took out cylinder 6. One scrapped block.

I've done nearly 60K on Wossners with no problems. They run finer tolerances than the JE (less piston slap from cold) and they don't use those stupid total seal rings, so far easier to install. Things like that impress me more than brand names to be honest and I would recommend and use Wossners again, no problem :-)

• 1 month later...

Thread resurrection time!

2010 to present has mostly been about refinements, improvements & bodge fixes etc. The only new toy I've bought recently is a DBW controller.

As the eventual aim is to go 24V Turbo, I was keen to get to grips with DBW and practice on the 12V. The poor thing is a rolling experiment :lol:

So anyway, first things first, here are the necessary bits. Standard 4Motion pedal, throttle and DTA controller.

DBW.jpg

By far the most awkward bit was fitting the pedal, but I won't bore you with the exact details, suffice to say it's just a process of fudging bits of metal into some kind of bracket shape and adjusting the height for best comfort :D

I found having the pedal a cm or so lower than stock and spaced over to the right a bit more was best for me.

There's 3 bolts holding the MK4 pedal to a Bora / Golf's bulkhead so I made up some brackets to suit.

Img_0239.jpg

It all fitted in OK, just about. The only snag is the fusebox has to tilt forward but the shelves still go back up OK.

Img_0241.jpg

Img_0248.jpg

Img_0249.jpg

The controller runs cool enough to sit in the glovebox, which is handy and makes the comm port easy to access.

Img_0254.jpg

And in the engine bay, no annoying throttle cable getting in the way of things. Oh and I also installed a 2.5 litre washer bottle behing the chargecooler. I was getting fed up with the OE one in the boot taking ages to squirt water onto the screen and getting in the way!!

It's also nice to get rid of the idle valve and associated pipework.

Img_0252.jpg

I got a fairly good map done this afternoon. The DBW throttle is stupidly responsive, so I need to do some more work on the transient fuelling, but otherwise it's pretty good so far.

Funnily enough, it pulls away like a 24V, even with a short runner and the 12V's inherent lack of beans down low, so I think the throttle behaviour defines the 24V's character just as much as the variable intake, if not more so.

One feature I like is Pedal to Butterfly translation. I can set this to say, 100% pedal = 10% throttle for when the missus drives it :D

Slowing down the initial sensitivity looks tricky to tame tbh. No wonder Revo et al never seem to soften it down enough. I think it's a physical design thing. The DBW throttles on VAGs are all full bore (and mirror polished to avoid butterfly sticking as it closes 100%, i.e. contact with the body) and because of the full bore, flow increases quickly from quite a small opening. Golf and Corrado throttles are progressive, with either a dual stage opening mechanism (Corrado) or a ramp in the body (Golf).

It's all good though and it's something to keep me amused for a while!

Cheers mate!

I did wonder about 12Vs and DBW actually. It's possibly unique in this country but I think America got DBW as standard on it's MK4 12V and someone I know in Hong Kong fitted it to his 12V turbo over a year ago.

It's a completely different animal to drive now, will take some getting used to!

I think I've been maxxing out my injectors since fitting this throttle. Rear bank has peppered pistons and I've melted a plug, twice. Time to fit the 550cc EV14s I think.

It's been a remarkably resilient engine to my mucking about actually. I'm lucky I didn't put a hole through a piston! Some of it is also down to my mapping. The DBW throttle's flow range works over a smaller amount of load sites, so I foolishly didn't move the high timing columns to the left for safety, so during a few test runs I was running 36 deg advance @ 1 bar boost. Ooops. As I say though, the motor took it like a champ :-)

It's all good fun really and I have a 24V motor spare, so maybe it's time for the 12V to die a spectacular death :-)

I think I've been maxxing out my injectors since fitting this throttle. Rear bank has peppered pistons and I've melted a plug' date=' twice. Time to fit the 550cc EV14s I think.

[/quote']

You've melted plugs, knackered your pistons, split a cast iron exhaust manifold...

...I'd be having some words with your tuner. Not very many of them polite, either. Surely they would know, rather than think, if the injectors are maxed out and the EGTs are too high?