Finally had my VR re-mapped at Stealth with AMD....

Another satisfied customer drives away from Stealth Racing this afternoon!

My engine config is:

1) ZR2 8psi Supercharger

2) Schrick VSR

3) 250cc injectors

4) Aquamist 1S water injection

5) ARP head studs

6) Denso Iridium IK20 plugs

7) MAF before the charger

Here are the dyno plots - the bottom line is the vr6golf.co.uk RR day from Feb 2004 and the top line is todays final result:

Power - 270.3bhp

Torque - 238 lb ft

I think you'll agree thats a great improvement!

The actual mapping was done by Geoff from AMD using Vince's rollers. There was lots of swearing, cursing, scratching of heads and pacing up and down - but by the end of the day, all was fine.

Highly recommended!

Jules

Guest couzens

That's pretty good J, bet your well pleased and well done. That torque graph clearly shows 4000rpm is the magical point for getting the most accerlation out of the car. Makes me always wonder why people red-line their cars. If there is no more torque to have as the graph shows it drops rapidly, then why not change up.

Of course correct me if I'm mis-interpretating the graph :)

[ Edited Sat Jun 19 2004, 08:13AM ]

ta! well chuffed!

As my car is an OBD1 it has the hot wire MAF. If you put the MAF after the charger as its meant to be, the car is almost undrivable in slow traffic. Part throttle driveabilty is real bad and the car bucks, jerks and hesitates. This is caused by turbulent air coming from the charger impacting on the sensitive hot wire in the MAF. Rotating the MAF helps, but doesnt cure the problem. The other thing is that the charger kit is set up to draw the engine crankcase gases through the charger and thus through the MAF - which ends up killing the MAF with oil spray after not too long - which gets expensive.

So I mounted the MAF before the charger and the car ran great when slow in traffic, but faltered when under boost - as the ECU mapping didnt match the engine configuration anymore.

It took Geoff about 6 hours to complete the work from start to finsh with help from Vince, which is longer than normal - but they got there in the end! The car was thoroughly checked over to make sure all was OK - my Schrick flap was given a clean bill of health also...!

Jules

Is Geoff freelance now then? Take it he has left AmD?

Glad you're pleased with the results.

Are you running standard cams? Would some 248s or 256s remove that enormous trough at 4K? That's probably mostly down to the VGI though?

Nice work. That is a *very* strong motor.

K

Geoff was the brains and the creator of AmD - I think he just got bored which is why he sold up and moven on!! He's alway got on really well with Vince, which is probably why he still helps him out.

Goeff used to be one of BMW's and Bosch's top technicians - what he doesn't know aint worth knowing!

Mina

Yep, chipping in the VW/Audi scene wouldn't be what it is today without Geoff Everett.

Yeah there always was a good collaboration with Stealth and Geoff. Most of Vince's engine work went to AmD for dyno'ing before he got his own rollers.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no better VW resource in the country than AmD and Stealth.

K

Yes - Geoff is freelance. He breezes in with his Bosch briefcase full of gadgets, waves his magic wand over your car and leaves!

Vince said that Geoff was considering emigration - and that if he did, he did not know what he'd do without him.

So get your re-maps while you still can I say!

Yes - that trough is caused by the VSR switching point. No Mina - no more money is to be spent on my car now!

Jules

[ Edited Sat Jun 19 2004, 10:17PM ]

Is your flap change set to 3,500rpm Jules?

Also.. whoever asked why people redline their cars.. after you've looked at Peak Torque, check out the Power Plot dude.

Faster the crank goes, more boost the charger supplies!

Here are the dyno plots - the bottom line is the vr6golf.co.uk RR day from Feb 2004 and the top line is todays final result:

Power - 270.3bhp

Torque - 238 lb ft

The power plot has two lines.

The torque plot has two lines.

The bottom line in each plot is how the car used to be.

The top line in each plot is how the car is now.

Vince over-layed the plots from February 2004 over the ones from now.

Jules

Its true what you say then Mina , to take no notice of the power claims companies give. Nik saran racing claim 280 bhp off their 8psi supercharger and thats without a schrick which jules has,its a bit out of order claiming these gains when they can't deliver,still its 100 bhp over standard.