Traction Control (do you have it??)

i have read about the tc on vr s in parkers price guide but mine spins up it must be very mild but i have notice a funny noise when spinning lightly on grass it sounded a bit like abs kickin in and have asked other owners about abs noise and theirs does it too

EDL is kind of a cross between traction control and a diff...it applies the brake to the inside wheel only. it works upto about 40mph.

it does make a hell of a lot of difference actually...but also does the type of tyres you have on the car. i get very little wheelspin.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think EDL is only on OBD1 cars, hence later ones spin the wheels more.

My car has the Racelogic traction control - really tames the wheelspin in the wet. It's also got the launch control facility (like the F1 cars used to have) - but I've only used it once as I'd like to hang on to my driveshafts thank you very much!!

Is it worth it? Yes, but only on highly modded cars - stick to using less of your right foot - it's the best form of traction control!!

Mina

if you have probs in the wet...buy a set of uniroyal rallye 540's...you'll be amazed at the difference.

but mina's correct, the right foot is the best form of traction control. a driver can be better than a computer. it took the f1 guys a fair while to perfect their systems, when they allowed it again in '00 (i think) schumi used to alkways qualify with it switched off (he'd then race with it on as it eliminated a risk of an error) as he could ultimatly do a quicker lap without...but one of the reasons is that he steers the car with the pedals (like i do)...if you know what i mean.

obd stands for on board diagnostics.

basically its different engine managment, the later one (obd2) gives more info through vag-com or 1551 tool (which is what the dealers have).

they switched from obd1 to obd2 end of '95. they also added a few other upgrades, such as bigger brakes, lost the arch covers on vr6's, colour coded the top of the bumpers, and changed the shape of the side repeaters.

all highlines are obd2.

to be fair, both obd1 and obd2 have their good points. obd1 gets EDL, and doesn't require vag-com for as much stuff...so is better for someone who likes to fiddle with their car themselves. obd2 for example, requires vag-com if you loose all the brake fluid! obd2's are supposed to produce a bit more power, but its fairly minimal levels, the best bit of obd2 is the 288mm brakes for sure.

i have 93 obd1 and have noticed the edl in icey conditions. the car just makes a whining noise and the wheels spin alot slower, it only works up to 3000 revs, cos after that the noise stops and you just spin like f....

so i think its rev based rather than speed based.

[ Edited Tue Jun 15 2004, 07:17PM ]

if i put my foot fully down from the lights will wheelspin like mad, you would think i was on an ice rink its that bad, far inferior cars can make me look shit from the lights. I like to be able to slam my foot down from the lights as i have a bit of a lead foot,maybe traction control is the way to go?? Good tyres wouldn't eliminate it completely and a 4wd conversion costs in the region of £6000 , bargain eh and no i'm not getting that as i don't have a bottomless wallet unfortunately!!

i have never been beaten off the lights in my vr6!

tyres make or break the vr6....bad ones make it so hard to launch, good ones make it simple and effortless. when i bought my highlne alloys they had fulda's on, and it whelspan very easily. once decent tyres were on it was back to how it was before, very little wheelspin.

i,ve deffinately noticed the traction control working on my vr, only in the ice though and at very slow speed wen you pull away from a standstill. its just sounds like the abs triggering. deffinately helps in the snow. mines OBD1 by the way. It deffinately of no use at any other time though!!