Charging and Turbos

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to support what Tom is saying (IbiVR) about costings, you can do it for reasonable money.

This lot has cost me around £3,000 inclusive:-

- Manifold and Spacer from Tom

- Garrett/ATP GT30R ball bearing turbo + water and oil line fixtures and fittings

- TIAL 38mm wastegate

- Complete Schimmel Air/Water intercooler system

- 15lb Braille Battery and clamp (has to go in the boot, so thought I'd lose a lot of weight in the process)

- ARP head bolts

- ARP rod bolts

- BEGI dual adjustable fuel riser

- 440cc injectors

- 4" MAF

- LC-1 Wide band controller and sensor

Apart from the manifold and spacer, it's all imported from the US. If I sourced all that from the UK, it would cost considerably more, even taking into account the import and VAT duties.....

I am going for one bar initially and will use Tom's OBD2 code when it's ready, but the setup provides potential for well over 500hp.

To get 500hp from a Supercharger on a 12V, well, it's not possible with a V9 for a start.....it would cost a small fortune....so pound for pound, turboing is now more cost effective than supercharging whilst giving more power and considerably more torque.....and all in the midrange and not at 7000rpm.

Gents,

Be aware that Pops and IbiVR both work for Designa Dubs.

I'm sure some of you may not have heard of this company, but I'm also sure that many of you, such as myself, are aware of there reputation for shoddy engine converstions, piss poor customer service and generally turning out cars that shouldn't have been given back to customers in the state they where in.

There are plenty of threads on the net about this company, documenting the standard of work they carried out.

http://www.forum.golfgti.co.uk/index.php?topic=16969.0

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-74613.html

I'm not saying dont use them, I'm just suggesting you tread carefully.

Will,

Thanks for that.

Just to add to that, neither myself or pops do, or have ever worked for designadubs.

My Ibiza was originally converted to VR6 at Designadubs - and its not something i'm ashamed of. It even still has the stickers down the side as they wont come off without taking the paint with it....

When designadubs shut up shop there were a few of us left with nowhere to go, so we all clubbed together and rented a unit and gather there to tinker away, and its here that we completed the turbo conversion that was originally conceptionalised by DD.

Along the way it became clear that the work we were doing was of interest to others, some of the products we found and contacts we made, made affordable UK VR6's reachable, so many of the items I used I bought more of out of my own pocket, and passed them on to those who requested.

Out of this a fair few more have been completed, and enough bits have been sold to create a few more.

This is the status at the moment - If time/money permits eventually we'll have a complete nut and bolt kit and out of that may grow a small business, it may not, and it may never happen.

To Sumerise,

I/We are not Designadubs, or any other business. We do not offer work or services to anyone, neither will we.

I have never worked for Designadubs or any other tuning company. I have a full time job which i have been in for the last 9 years.

Designadubs are no longer trading, under the old name, or any new name.

Anything purchased from me is just that - purchased from ME. Personaly. My paypal, My bank account.

I currently do not make ANY money from this - in fact it owes me a fortune. As and when everything i have left is sold i will break even. It remains to be seen weather i will put forward the investement to re-stock, or complete any sort of kit.

Everything i do - including coming on here to justify myself - i do for fun.

All the info i give here freely, and answer in the numerous mails i get i give for no personal gain, other than my own enjoyment. I like talking about it and sharing what i know to get more of these great cars on the road.

As pops said VR turbos's are just great - I'd like to see more of them and this is why i put in the effort and money that i do. If it has to become a business to keep up then so be it, but it will always be a part time affair and will not be any sort of garage/workshop, anything i sell you need to fit yourself.

I hope that clears it up a little,

Tom.

As you`ve been proven wrong i `d like you to pull the statement you put, considering i`ve been a plasterer since i left school and run my own business from ipswich hardly makes me a mechanic just a vw enthusiast, why would i want it common knowledge it just pisses me off that people type before they think

hey matey, if ive read this thred correctly, the if were talking, 2.5k for the kit, + piping, + lsd(+instll) a remap, clutch, and then possibly upgrading some other internals, the figure is clser to abt 5k no? but more importantly, do u have 1 of these allready running around, i am not that fussed as long as the car has around 3oo to 350 brake, but drive my vr every day, and reliability is one of the reasons i bought this car last month instead of a scooby!!

No £2.5-3k will get it done. Mines been runnign ages, as has pops, and theres at least 4 others completed, with many more on the way.

No full kit yet, you'd need to do it custom, although i can help you with mny of the bits and any info you need.

1 bar will give you around 400hp.

Tom.

Whether Tom is/was Designadubs or not - I can't fault his advice and service at all!!

I saw a couple of VR turbos he helped create at a recent meet in Bury St Edmunds and I was so impressed, I junked the charger and bought one of his manifolds straight away.....and now I have $5000 (£2600ish) worth of parts making their way over from Schimmel in the US of A.

Can't wait for that 'whaba whaba whaba' idle more than anything else, LOL!

Whether Tom is/was Designadubs or not - I can't fault his advice and service at all!!

I saw a couple of VR turbos he helped create at a recent meet in Bury St Edmunds and I was so impressed' date=' I junked the charger and bought one of his manifolds straight away.....and now I have $5000 (£2600ish) worth of parts making their way over from Schimmel in the US of A.

Can't wait for that 'whaba whaba whaba' idle more than anything else, LOL!

[/quote']

one of them was mine, the black mk2 and the other was markiev6 with the 3 litre turbo syncro mk2 from of here

tbh 1 bar is plenty' date=' mad enough as it is :)

[/quote']

Err just a bit!

I've had 1st hand experience of pop's car to quote Clarkson

"It goes like a [ bleeping ] [ bleepstard ]"

One trip out in it left me completely bald.

Must've been the g forces........

Got my stuff, well, most of it. Big shout to Tom for his advice whilst putting my order together.

Car is on stands at the moment as the sump is off to do the oil return and ARP rod bolts. Whilst I'm down there, I'm replacing the oil pump and big end shells for good measure, might aswell for what they cost. Then the head will come off for spacing some time mid week. Hope to get it all in within a fortnight as I'm waiting for some extra sundry parts from Schimmel to finish the job.

Got a Begi fuel 2 way adjustable riser, 500hp drop in pump and LC1- Wide band probe and controller to use on the stock code and injectors to get it running to Vince or Tom for software.

Looking forward to hearing that turbine spin up for the first time!

Can't I link to pics from this site??!