hi all ive only just found this site and need some help please,ive got a 93 k satin silver two door vr had it two years 85000 fsh mint, and ive had a few minor problems ie belt tentioner, clutch then it started to loose water to cut a long yarn short ended up frying the head gasket gutted got it all skimmed and refitted came to less than £600 with a local mecanic now it wont stop boiling over the mecanic says this is whats caused the head gasket to go he says they are good for 120k with original gasket Anyway the fan seams to only come on when i turn it off (the engine)ive replaced the rad sensor switch is there a possibilty that the oil what was going in the water before the head gasket went has somehow blocked the rad im at the end of my tether now and any help would come in handy :) very handy im not going to vw there a joke i dont mind the parts but the labour is a joke

thanks in advance

lingy

and bye the way hello all this is a coool site

8o)

personally, I doubt the rad is blocked from oil m8, you need to check that yr fan is operating, it needs to come on when the engine reaches a certain temp, ie check it kicks in ok if you leave the car idling for a while. if not it will boil up eventually, check yr thermostat too, if thats not functioning correctly the same problem will occur. You also need to be sure the head gasket repair has been done properly, ie get a compression check done. Also worth checking your secondary water pump, this is located at the rear of the engine under the black ignition lead holder on the right hand side, this should run all the time the ignition is switched on.

thanks andy when i said oil what i meant was gunky type stuff in the water that used to be oil and are both fans supposed to work all im getting is when i turn the engine off after its been idling until it near boils the right hand fan fires up well odd x) and ive never seen the other fan spinning at all well odd this one i cant even have a look as the mecanic has it aarrgghh!

regards

lingy

if your getting oily gunk in your water you could also find the oil cooler is knackered and letting the oil and water mix ive known this to happen b4 incase your not sure its located at bottom right front ov engine as you look in at it

This maybe well off mark

I had a similar problem of boiling over with my Mk2 8V

It would constantly boil over after a journey and after many visits to various mechanics who were all stumped I had to have the head repaired. this did not solve my problem and I was getting the matches out when I read a post on another forum about the rubber seal in the over flow cap perishing. all the symptoms were the same so I replaced it for a few quid and hey presto problem solved (could've saved myself a fortune but no mechanics could diagnose so I didn't feel that bad)

It turns out that this seal caused the problems with the head, had it been diagnosed early enough the head would have been okay

as I say I may be well off mark, I'm no mechanic and I don't whether the Mk2 and Mk3 share the same cap but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check it out

~:(

well lads and gals finally got the car back and im well happy with all you lot yes the 4mil fan belts missing and the sensor switch was up the spout the head jobs a good un and the cars on my drive im going to get the belt at vw and new thermostat and the proper cooolant then ile have just about rebuilt the whole engine and thanx mates all your suggestions well appreciated

;);):)

sorted

lingy

• 3 weeks later...

well after all this money argh ive found the problem the radiator was fouled up with gunk have no idea what it is although im told you must use proper coolant and to my cost some £900 spondoolies later ive finally sorted the overheating problem dont ever buy cheap coolant and just add it to the rad apparently this fried my head as diferent coolants congiel and well lets just say i wont do that again %-6 %-6

do we not use punctuation or capitalisation on this forum anymore how come people come on here writing long rambling sentences with no full stops or commas and drive us all mad with what they write it makes me turn white as i dont know where one sentence finishes and another one starts i dont know where to take a breath and by the end ive forgetton what we were talking about but thats ok as ive passed out as ive tried to read it all in one breath

what admin removed that in fact give me back my £10 pounds im well agreaved now what a joke forum havnt even recieved my sticker what ajoke ban me that guy needs banning not me we are all trying to get answers not disiplined by some fool who doesnt need to worry abouty money ~:(

[ Edited Thu Jun 24 2004, 11:07PM ]

[ Edited Thu Jun 24 2004, 11:08PM ]

lingy: if you bothered to read the PM's i sent you would see that it's in hand, please bill me for £10 and i'll happily return it if you are not happy! but when you call my other members pricks and fuck faces etc.. etc.. it is NOT ON! you will find that admin as in the club chairman removed it.