[moved] [moved] Help me please i need some Brake disc's for my VR

My poor little vr is in pieces at the garage and as some of you may know I have had a little abs fault with the car since I bought it.

Well over the last few weeks it has got worse i.e it just cuts in when it feels like it &|

Thought it was a sticky caliper but it now turns out all I need is discs and pads.

I want to get some nice Grooved and drilled ones but there so much money and I'm a little bit broke at the mo.

I don't mind spending around £100 for them and at the end of the day i can get from G&S Zimmerman drilled discs for £80 so i may have to settle for them but if any one know of a set of combi (drilled and grooved) ones for about £100 please let me know :)

Muchos Grasias (cant spell lol :D )

Claire

I've always heard good stuff about ebc turbo groove, (drilled and grooved) not sure of the cost though, probablly abit more than 100 squids a piece i rekon, along with green stuff pads, thats probably what i'd go for.

i always say this and no one listens, but i'll say it again...

unless you overheat your brakes get o.e. vw stuff. no point loosing cold performance if you dont really need the extra heat handling capabilities, which is the point of uprated stuff.

i hate loosing the cold performance on mine, but have to cause i overheat them. i'm hoping a move to 288mm brakes may enable me to get away with standard pads.

i also have serious doubts whether drilled or groobved discs make any difference at all (i know, the have them on gt racing cars, but they get brake temps you'll never get anywhere near on the road, and F1 cars have smopoth discs). i also suspect there may be a chance that they wear pads out quicker...not a fact, just my hunch.

Guest couzens

Grooved discs always make a loud griding/rubbing sound as your braking. I would settle for the zimmerman because there just drilled which I think looks more interesting than standard VW. However, you will lose cold performance braking effect....... yet you always said to me Claire you drove like a nutter...........

Guest couzens

One question I do have with the Zimmerman discs is as they are drilled, are they vented as well like the OE discs or are they solid and then drilled??

I am presuming they are vented as well as drilled but just wanted to be clear?

im in agreement with acf i dont think they make that much difference i like to go with ordinary mintex discs and pads the grooved discs are just a style thing that make car look a bit snazzy plus once the discs are about a 3rd used the grooves all disapear anyway so your just paying over the top for some snazzy discs that your only gonna get a 3rd ov the use out ov unless you carry on running em with no grooves which puts you back to where you was with non grooved discs if you get what i mean.well thats my opinion anyways.

Grooved discs look great behind alloy wheels. That's the whole point of them.

There is little performance improvement over standard, but the standard brakes ain't too bad. And not everyone can justify doing £1500-£2000 on a big brake conversion, especially if their engine mods are quite mild.

Does anyone know of any larger brakes from Audis etc. which would fit straight on a Mk3 Golf? This would provide a cheaper route to increased brake performance.

[ Edited Sat Jun 05 2004, 12:57PM ]