hi peeps, im going to turbo my vr as soon as i have all the bits and saved enough money!! but i was wondering what is the best size turbo to put on a vr6? has any one got any experience of this? and what kind of bhp should i expect? thanks ;)

You wont need a huge turbo as you dont really need much boost and you'll get better drivability with a turbo that spools up quicker.

Depending on your budget - For about £1k my choice would be the GT35R - spools up quickly because its ball bearing, and can feed the VR a good level of boost throught the rev range.

For a smaller budget look at a journal bearing turbo - these are gonna spool up around 2800rpm ish - still nice and quick and tbh you can pick up a t3/t4 hybrid new for around £300. Look for a T04 - its a t3 turbine housing with a t4 compressor housing - ie loads of boost and spins up quickly.

Personally i'd struggle to justify a ball bearing turbo on a vr - the price difference is huge for the gain you get. Unless your gonna be pushing mad power on a built up bottom end i'd save your cash and go T04.

BHP wise - if your fuelling it right and everything else is there, look at about 280bhp with 6psi, 350 at 9 psi, 400 at 14psi, and if your engines built up to take it - 500+ at 20psi+

If you need a turbo maniold that will fit a right hand drive car, we have a nice one that is half the cost of the EIP/Kinetic ones that foul the brake servo.

Any help you need on your build feel free to ask!

Tom.

No probs.

The specs of that turbo are pretty much ideal, but i'd be a bit wary as theres no brand name. Your not gonna be pushing it ultra hard and its garunteed - but if the compressor wheel ends up going through your engine the garuntee wont be paying for that.

I'd pay a little more and look for a brand name one - Garrett, Turbonetics, Holset, something like that.

Tom.

Depends what your after. they drive differently yeah. I disagree about your comment that a turbo only gives power between certain revs. depending on your choice of turbo it will spool up very early or a bit later in the rev range - but it will provide boost and power all the way through to red line. there is no power band as such.

If you compare supercharger boost to a turbo - say maybe 10 psi - then you can use a very small turbo which will spool up pretty much straight away.

If you want more power then ok you might have to sacrfice a bit of lag.

Mine is good for 500bhp+ and spools up at about 2500rpm - when your screaming along in your vr are you ever below that? no. Is it a good thing not to have 20 psi when your getting off the line... probably yeah.

Supercharging is preffered over here becasue it is cheaper/easier, not neccesarily because its better. In the US where complete LHD kits are available form the likes of EIP and Kintetic turbo is more popular than SC.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not saying turbo is king, and superchargers are crap - far from it, but they are very different engines both have good and bad points.

Tom.

My mistake the EIP one does fit - thats the one that bolts onto the original headers and sits the turbo by the 'box? Its the ATP and Kinetic ones that foul the master cylinder. I'd be interested in pics if you have any.

Yeah you can route wastegate dump into exhaust we have done it this way to - on my ibiza its dumped to atmos.

Tom.

At the end of the day, i have had loads of turbo cars and i love them !! thats why i wanna turbo my vr6. i feel u can get alot more power from them than chargers.

And like Tom said most people in US opt for turbo over sc..

look on vortex..

Chargers may be good and spin up quicker, but its not what im after? im after 400bhp+ and if i have abit of lag then so be it, its personal preference. thanks for your views though!! ;)

Depends what your after. they drive differently yeah. I disagree about your comment that a turbo only gives power between certain revs. depending on your choice of turbo it will spool up very early or a bit later in the rev range - but it will provide boost and power all the way through to red line. there is no power band as such.

If you compare supercharger boost to a turbo - say maybe 10 psi - then you can use a very small turbo which will spool up pretty much straight away.

If you want more power then ok you might have to sacrfice a bit of lag.

Mine is good for 500bhp+ and spools up at about 2500rpm - when your screaming along in your vr are you ever below that? no. Is it a good thing not to have 20 psi when your getting off the line... probably yeah.

Supercharging is preffered over here becasue it is cheaper/easier' date=' not neccesarily because its better. In the US where complete LHD kits are available form the likes of EIP and Kintetic turbo is more popular than SC.

Dont get me wrong - i'm not saying turbo is king, and superchargers are crap - far from it, but they are very different engines both have good and bad points.

Tom.

[/quote']

Ok...but unless you have serious efficient cooling system i still sceptical that a turbo gives you usefull power right to the red line... watch your boost gauge im sure it drops off long before your rev coutnter reaches the red line...(try not crash whist watching guages) espcially if you have a small turbo that spools up quickly...this will fade due to over heating quicker... a later spooling one may take you to the red line but leave you with lag at the start this is what i was trying to say about a turbo only having a limited rev range where the boost is most efficient.

J

depends on your turbo choice.

Mine spools up at 2500 odd and can still blow 20psi in at 7200rpm.

Stick in correctly sized intercooler that will give you max cooling for minimum lag and your away.

Like i said depends what your after, but you'd be hard pushed to get 500 brake out of a supercharger.

Have a look at some of the dyno charts on vortex - i think youd be surprised.

Tom.

i had a T35 turbo on my cossy and i was running 28 psi all day with a -34 actuator. and it would hardly tale off. my mates can run 35 psi with T4s and GT35s with a greedy boost controller and they dont have any probs with no boost at top end? the only thing which turbos can be faulted for is lag, the bigger the turbo the more lag u will get. there is one thing u can do to combat this problem! (i) fit a Anti Lag System!! a couple of my mates use them on there cars, great fun. ;)

In the first few posts people said Turbo's can be had for as little as £300 !

In my opinion this makes them more cost effective than turbo's where just a stage 1 kit alone is looking to set you back over £1500.

I am guessing there are lots of other parts that are needed besides just the Turbo itself, so what would the final cost of all the parts for a Turbo system that is going to give around 280BHP? As I would love a supercharger but have not got the money for one, would a Turbo be another cost effective option?

Mark.

turbo £300 manifold £280-£400 depending on who you get it from, pipe work including and cooler exhaust £650 injectors £200 map £300 spacer plate and multi layer gasket £90 or forged piston and rods £600, so from £1550 - £2450 roughly you could have over 400bhp, all depending on where the parts are sourced from

the botton end is built forged pistons and Pauter chromoly rods

if i was going to build another vr turbo then my choice of pistons not be forged they are too noisy

there is a piston type half way between cast and forged which has some of the durability of a forged piston

and the tight fit in the bore of a cast piston

the name escapes me hyper something

i would reckon on taking a healthy block without a head spacer to

250-260 at the flywhee running 6 to 8psi probably more if the car was properly remapped from scratch

good old vince at stealth can do obd1 cars on the fly

i have used pre burnt chips in the past and nothing compares to a remap

some vrs run 170 stock and others near 190

thats the exiting part when the car is on the rollers being mapped

for the first time

price wise im making my inlet and exhaust manifolds to keep the price down. i will do all the pipe work out of stainless pipe. i just picked up my donor engine today (£200)complete! im stripping head and block, fitting new rings, shells, guides, seals and ARP bolts before i do anything. also im going to work the head aswell. i think its more rewarding if u do the work yourself.

It's hard to get a nice looking weld. Really you'll need to tig weld it, cos mig is just ugly and huge.

Decent TIG welder is gonna set you back around £1700, but you can probably hire one. A tig is hard to set up as there are a lot of paramters to change - current, pulse width, gas flow, post flow etc. You also need to be carefull what gas you use - pure argon is best.

You'll need to purge the pipework, so the weld is protected from the impurities in the air on the inside of the weld. Purging can use alot of gas so if your a bit slow with the welding your gonna go through the gas quikly.

You'll need to pick your grade of stainless too for a nice lasting finish.

Having said all that it's not impossible and with a bit of practise does look much better than vast expanses of silicon and is defo worth the effort.

Just for interest heres the kit we made up for the ibiza - The pipes need to be polised really but the welds are nice and neat.

vrtpipes.jpg

Tom.